Buy loader or bigger tractor?

jmann

Equipment
L1500dt
Aug 28, 2010
St. Joseph, MO
I'm looking for advice: I have an old L1500DT running great. I have about $3500 USD in it after a steering overhaul. I can get a new buhler-allied 95 loader for it at around $3500, bringing my tractor-investment to around $7000. The hours on the tractor show 1500, but the engine came off another, so its hard to be sure. Like I said, it runs great.

Around here, I can find a used Kubotas (around 30-32 hp w. a loader, maybe 1-2,000 hrs) for $9-10,000 if I'm patient. I'm thinking I might rather part with the L1500dt and go newer and bigger before I invest in a loader for the old tractor. Thoughts?

Hook

Equipment
L3240 with LA514 FEL, Box Blade, Howard Rotovator, All Purpose Plow, Sub Soiler
Jul 6, 2010
Jackson, Georgia
Like you say if you are patient, you can find a deal. Personally, I would not want to put that much into an older tractor. I doubt you could get anything near that much out of it after equipping it with a new loader. Also, I would rather buy a used tractor that came from the factory with a loader than an older tractor with an add on. That's just my opinion, my wife tells me I'm anal.

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7001 with loader & tiller, 3 point hitch and 4' rear blade
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
I have an after market loader on mine, and I don't like it. The reach is a fair bit less than the factory units, and in the 'load' position there is not enough curl on the bucket to get a good load.
If I were as talented as Wildfire I could fix the curl issue, but that is just a dream.
I think you will do better with a factory equipped unit.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Tractors are like pickup trucks and motorcycles,,, mines big and faster than yours,,, I say if ya got the bucks GO FOR IT!!!!
Just MHO you understand

Green Mountain Slim

Equipment
Kubota B8200, Kioti C2610 Cab, BX1500, B7100 (kinda)
Feb 23, 2010
Morrisville, Vermont
Make sure you don't need any "extras" before you decided on getting a loader. Have you thought about finding a used loader that will fit your tractor? I suggest you don't pay more than 50% of new price unless it's like new.

When I purchased my B 8200 I thought I'd just throw a used backhoe on it, but I needed the loader for the sub frame first, so I went the whole 9 yards and now I'm loaded. It wasn't what I was hoping to do, but it was worth the investment.

Then as another choice, you could always look for a tractor with a loader that you could use as a second tractor. And then maybe find one for parts, and one to fix up the parts tractor, and so on and so on. :D