build a drive over yard- seek advice

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Am putting in a long drive around perimeter of my property. Wel not LONG. property only one acre. Part will go thru my yard with nice grass. I've got some areas that could use grass... but do not NEED it. Could spread grass seed.

is it worth it dollar and cents wise to try to cut out grass where drive will be or just gravel over grass? Should I remove grass anyway for better drive orr?? truck to be using the drive is heavy 25,000lb or so.. not including a trailer occasionally.

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
how big a turn in and turn out, ....... Truck is an LMTV.... similar in size to a deuce-n-half. Will pull max about 17ft lowboy pintle trailer with it. Entrance would put a power pole by driver door... exit will be similar.

The present lane will turn off of into this new drive is one lane and narrow... (will need to trim more just to fit truck thru).... how wide curve/space do I need to make entrance and exit to swing in that combination at entrance and exit etc....

Similar questions for the two turns on back edge of property but I got more fudge room there. The primary entrance and exit will be the tight spots. unfortunately with power pole near exit as well but exit I can fudge little more as well.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Coach -

A good part of the decision process is whether this is a drive you need day-to-day or occasionally. Also, is this an area that's apt to be wet/soft/muddy, etc? Would you drive the LMTV around there in November in Ohio? How far would it sink...2 inches or 2 feet?

I have just put stone over lawn in a couple spots for turn-arounds. I keep adding stone over time. I've used washed crushed #2's or similar for years. The grass will grow up through the stone. I could care less.

However, if it's really a driveway and you need to get around it all the time with something that heavy, you need to figure out the extent of improvements needed.

It may need the topsoil ripped out down to 12" or so, with a base "Item 4" then a topping material of crusher run or similar. If it gets wet, it may need something for drainage. I would have pulled out an Item 4-type material, just to replace it with Item 4....and the drainage was good after other work I did 20 years ago...

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Coach - ... It may need the topsoil ripped out down to 12" or so, with a base "Item 4" then a topping material of crusher run or similar. I would have pulled out an Item 4, just to replace it with Item 4....
??? not catching your meaning on last part

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
When we put in the round about driveway around in front of the hip roof barn and past the Clearspan equipment barn, we (I) peeled the turf off and laid down plastic mesh with screenings over that and then Number 2 berm mix on top of that. We have big trucks coming in and out all the time delivering feed, picking up hay and delivering other things necessary for the farm operation. I'd like to have it paved (would be nicer) but, in this state, if paved, the county assesses it and taxes go up. Gravel however is not considered permanent so gravel it is.

You could go right over the grass but I would kill t off with a good herbicide like Roundup Ultra or Crossbow before doing anything else and lay the fabric mat no matter what. The mat keeps the gravel in place and precludes ruts from heavy truck wheels.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I have some Triumph's as well and a Norton P11A Scrambler.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
??? not catching your meaning on last part
Essentially, I had a good native soil/material. If I took it out, I would be replacing it with a similar material. So why bother for my turn-arounds.

Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Geotextile and traffic gravel replaced 4-6” of topsoil in my yard. The gravel packed in and hasnt moved in 2 years. My downspout drains onto this parking area and i figured it would pose a problem. It didnt. My first experience with this. Wont do anything else from now on.