Bucket level indicator

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I had one on a L3901 I used to have and removed it. After you get used to working with the machine you can tell what position the buckets in without a level indicator. Also if you get a 3rd function set of remotes on the front they probably will hit the level indicator unless you modify the bracket the remotes sit in to keep them from hitting. Just my .02 I'm sure there are others that like them for their own reasons.

Last edited:

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
I use the flat places on the top of the bucket and it works very well.

As stated by Ed above, it won't be long before you won't even be using it even if you get one.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Most of the time, I don't feel the need for a bucket level indicator. There are two situations when it is very handy though. I made one from a piece of 1/4" rod that pokes up through a piece of plastic pipe fastened to the loader arm.

When I buried our 1,000 gallon propane tank, I was able to do it without excavating. The tank was placed at the base of a small steep bank near our house. I used the material from our underutilized sand volleyball court for a base and some of the fill. That was 75 tons of sand and about that much clean crushed limestone. The BLI made it easier to get just the sand and stone.

To complete the burial, I shaved topsoil from an area about 60' wide and took close to 18" off the one end and tapered to nothing on the other. With a new clean and sharp cutting edge, it went pretty well.

The second place it comes in handy is when I use the wings on the bucket for a homebrew snow pusher box. The wings stick out pretty far and if the bucket is just a little too far dumped, the ends of the wings drag and wear down. With the indicator, I can be getting the bucket set to be level to the paving before I even drop it.

Attachments

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I agree with Ed and Mickey, but it takes a while to develop the comfort level to figure how/where the bucket is level.

Easiest method is as Mickey suggested, find an area on your loader that is flat when the bucket is flat on the ground that you can see from your seat. Keep an eye on that area to indicate what you need to do with the joystick to get the results you want.

After much practice you will get to where you can feel the resistance of the material you're pushing to get an idea of what to do next!

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
I have it on mine as the previous owner got it when new. I really don't use it . I don't have a clue as to cost on a new tractor but if more than $25 no way knowing what I know now.
I was going to buy a new L2501 and it had it and I really thought was needed,.

Beaudeane

Equipment
MX5800, LA1065, BH92, BB72X, RT72.40, EA 60 in grapple, county line auger
Mar 9, 2018
Dalton, Ga
I have it on my mx5800. I couldn’t do much good with the bucket without it. It’s a different style than is on dads L3130 but works just as well. I have the 3rd function on mine and no problem with it. I wasn’t able to set it level regularly b4 my dealer got the indicator put on. Was taking big bites outta what I was trying to make level. I’m sure it’s a learning curve without one but I’ve used one since 2005 on the 3130 and now a few months on my 5800 and would buy again if I end up with another tractor some day

winesalot

Jul 14, 2016
Chelan, WA
I have operated a lot of equipment in my life. I agree that with a bit of time you will get the feel of the bucket position and not need this. When I ordered mt L4701 I chose not to include it. Recently I have purchased the indicator and installed it because it turns out I am not the only one to use the tractor and, while I am not going to throw my wife under the bus here, the other users seem to need it to get any work done.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Just get it added. I still have a hard time seeing the top of my bucket, so the BLI is useful. I also rely on it when I have pallet forks on. That is probably the most useful purpose of the BLI.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
The BLI came standard on the 2650 I ordered. Never had a problem without one on the BX, but I'm eager to try it out. Would not have paid extra for it, but I'm betting I'll be paying attention to it quite often.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
They really aren't "level" indicators. They indicate the position of the bucket relative to the position of the machine. If you are in a machine pointed downhill and the "level" indicator is showing that your bucket is level, it's not.
It's just that the tractor and bucket are in the same position relative to each other.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Spec’ing a new machine, the bucket level indicator is an option. Do I need it. Is it worth the costs?
I've never seen it as an option, always came with my machines.

Is it the rod-in-a-tube style or an angled bracket welded on the bucket?

Would I pay extra for the rod-n-tube? No. I've taken them off because they rattle too much making excessive noise.

Would I pay extra for the bucket bracket? No. I'd weld one on using scrap angle iron before I paid extra to get one from the factory.

The dealer will likely throw it in for free if you ask nicely. Ask for ALL the features up front and get a discount with your order.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
The BLI came standard on the 2650 I ordered. Never had a problem without one on the BX, but I'm eager to try it out. Would not have paid extra for it, but I'm betting I'll be paying attention to it quite often.
Well, finally got her and got to spend some time doing some chores. Glad I didn't pay extra for the BLI, I didn't find it useful at all. For someone new to using a bucket I could see it as a way to learn quicker. I may take it off to make wiping her down little easier after a bath.