Bucket forks vs quick attach forks mathmatics, guru's enter!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I scored about 250 40x48 ahrdwood skids few years back.
lerned real fast put 'stuff' on a skid, then put THAT skid on another ! The lower one is 'sacrificial'...water,dirt,bugs seem to like that one,one on top is EASY to get (off the ground).
Having ALL the same size skids makes life better... 2 layers of 4by8 pavers is all the BX23S will lift( 120 pcs)

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, loader, MMM, pallet forks, tooth bar, rear blade, JD 318 w/plow, JD X350
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
I am still trying to get all the figures together, but, I dont see any "lifting" benefits between clamp on bucket forks and dedicated QA forks. If the BX23s has 1,000lb (rounded) lift at the pin (no bucket), then you add a 120lb bucket on a QA, you get 500lb lift at 48" according to TTwTim. A dedicated QA fork setup is min 160lbs (QA attachment and forks all ready to go). So, I would be losing 40lbs of lift from the start, which gives me 460lb of lift (averaged out). From there, the math starts kicking in. I believe there is a general rule you lose so much lift beyond the pin at certain inches the further out you go. I cant find that info again and give up, lol. But, from what I HAVE read, I think the two setups are neck and neck for lift capacity. I have an extra blade on my bucket now so I dont think I will be getting a smiley face on it any time soon with 400lbs on the end of a set of clamp on's. Other than that, I dont see any advantages with lift, other than paying an extra $400.

Am I missing anything in my mathematical euphoria, lol?
I have gone through all the posts, and a lot of good points have been made. Here are my thoughts for what they are worth.
I have Titan brand QA forks. They don't adjust, but the forks can be removed for easy storage. The rated capacity is 2800 lbs, and the attachment weighs 95 lbs. Are they the best QA pallet forks? NO, but they do what I need done. A lot of people do not want non-adjustable forks, and have good reasons for their point of view. For occasional use, the forks I have are fine. They are less expensive, do not have far more capacity than I can use, and I can take them apart for easy storage.

Good luck with your purchase!

Last edited:

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I have gone through all the posts, and a lot of good points have been made. Here are my thoughts for what they are worth.
I have Titan brand QA forks. They don't adjust, but the forks can be removed for easy storage. The rated capacity is 2800 lbs, and the attachment weighs 95 lbs. Are they the best QA pallet forks? NO, but they do what I need done. A lot of people do not want non-adjustable forks, and have good reasons for their point of view. For occasional use, the forks I have are fine. They are less expensive, do not have far more capacity than I can use, and I can take them apart for easy storage.

Good luck with your purchase!
I have some pretty heavy duty clamp on forks for my B2910, but at the end of the day, if you can get forks that make it possible to see what you are doing, without the bucket in the way, it is VERY much worth the additional cost, especially if the price is just marginal.

Skip the clamp on forks and get what you will be happy with in many years to come...

OrangePower

Equipment
A cute little rinky dinky 2021 BX23s
Sep 15, 2021
VA
Well, I think I bit off more than I can chew on the first round. I grabbed the forks from afar, but, they are heavy as @**^&! . I can throw around 80lb bags of concrete, but these I could only get 3" off the ground. An L shaped object makes it that much harder, but, were talking at LEAST 80+ lbs each.

I might just make a light skeleton frame out of 1/4" steel, since the FEL can only handle around 700lbs after all said and done at the pins. Not like I can hurt it too bad. If I start bashing into things like a retard and bending things, I will just have to beef up whatever is getting bent. I can def tell you it will NOT be the forks!!

its a lot easier (and funner) using the BX than it is by hand!
Heh, you aint s****ing!!

Reactions: 1 user

OrangePower

Equipment
Sep 15, 2021
VA
Okay, so far, I have found out the forks have mounting hooks 20" apart which apparently makes them a class III fork with a 5" wide blade by 1 3/4 thick area that slide into the pallet at the thick end. I have seen weight range from 180 pair (titans, which I think are class 2) to 300lb a pair for economy class 3's. 300lb????? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, loader, MMM, pallet forks, tooth bar, rear blade, JD 318 w/plow, JD X350
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
Okay, so far, I have found out the forks have mounting hooks 20" apart which apparently makes them a class III fork with a 5" wide blade by 1 3/4 thick area that slide into the pallet at the thick end. I have seen weight range from 180 pair (titans, which I think are class 2) to 300lb a pair for economy class 3's. 300lb????? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!
Hello OrangePower,

I am attaching a link to the Amazon page showing the forks that I purchased. If they work for you, they are less expensive than most others. I have already mentioned the limitations of these forks, but I like being able to break them down into three pieces for storage. They are rated to have more capacity than I can use. If you need adjustability, these are not for you. If they will do what you need done, they are a less expensive purchase. I got free freight (maybe because I have Amazon Prime). You will find the "fit and finish" to be less "pretty" than others (typical of Titan) but they work.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
sure, here's why...(it took me 2hrs to figure this one out,3 years ago...)

YOU'RE in the USA, looking at Amazon.com website.

Amazon captures your ISP info ( whatever 'server/internet' location ) then decides whether they will allow you access to the products. They see I'm in Canada and BLOCK me from buying products. They don't KNOW I have a USA address to have stuff delivered to, they don't KNOW I could be on holidays in Canada or working up here,They don't know I could be an American, needing that product PDQ up here at my cottage,..LOTS of reasons.
BTW Amazon.ca is NOT the same as Amazon.com ! 1000s of products at .com are NOT at the .ca website

Sad reality is they're not the only website that does this. Thankfully most understand the 'net is for everyone. I often deal with the largest mfr of computer chips, USA based, and they have always allowed me to order chips. Funny thing is I'll get them from the far east in less time than their disti 40 miles away ! Fee UPS shipping of course

• Wow

OrangePower

Equipment
Sep 15, 2021
VA
Hello OrangePower,

I am attaching a link to the Amazon page showing the forks that I purchased. If they work for you, they are less expensive than most others. I have already mentioned the limitations of these forks, but I like being able to break them down into three pieces for storage. They are rated to have more capacity than I can use. If you need adjustability, these are not for you. If they will do what you need done, they are a less expensive purchase. I got free freight (maybe because I have Amazon Prime). You will find the "fit and finish" to be less "pretty" than others (typical of Titan) but they work.

Hi, thanks for the link. Yes I saw them and thought about them but I def need adjustability. They were high up on my list but sadly scratched those out.

I think I am gonna end up selling the ones I just got, order a set of clamp on's and weld a lip on them to hang on the frame.

Sheeesh, I didnt think this was so involved, but now I see why they are $700+ a set, they got us over a barrel!! :(

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
The math isn't too complex, just keep in mind it is a force multiple of distance. Moment from point of action. The loader lift cylinder in this point. The manufacturer goes off lower lift pin because they can guarantee it to that point. After that point who knows what you will add to it. It is the same reason you grab a breaker bar to remove tough fastners. You dont weigh any more, but the distance you apply the same force multiplies it.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I have bucket clamp on forks because my B2620 did not come with a loader quick attach. They are better than nothing and have done what I needed them to do, but they are no way near as good as real quick attach forks. They put a LOT of leverage on your bucket tilt. You have to be VERY careful and it is very hard to make fine movements because of that added leverage. The very slightest movement of the joystick will make your bucket/forks jump suddenly.
And then there's the lack of being able to see your forks.

Like I said......they are only good if they are your ONLY option to have forks.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
yes, those forks are FORKLIFT forks.. good for 6000# lifts( I have them on my, well, FORKLIFT). It was a real 'treat' to get one back on ,after it magically fell off.
sadly, probably too late,
When I made the FL adapter for the D-14, I took 2.5" angle iron,3/8 thk for the basic 'fork frame'.
top was 'L', lower one, upside down ,'7, with verticals welded to the ends. cut/grind an install/remove notch in the btm rail
you could make forks from 2x4 steel tubing,even 1.5x3.properly welded they'll not fail.

OrangePower

Equipment
Sep 15, 2021
VA
News update: I got the $350 Titan pallet fork frame off ebay. I threw that on my tractor, along with the 2 class 3 forks and could only lift 7 medium size EMPTY pallets no higher than 3ft off the ground. What a BX POS (sorry, was just expecting a little more from the BX)!! . Sadly, I got rid of the forks and am now in the process of making some forks out of 3"x 1.5" C channel to keep the forks light as possible. If these bend, I will step up to some rectangular tubing. I do not do any serious lifting, although no one ever knows, so, they should be okay. Time will tell.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
It's a numbers 'game'
BX will lift 700# MINUS the pallet frame MINUS the forks AND what ever's left HAS to be up against the 'frame'. Say the frame weighs 120#, each fork 40# 700-120-40-40 is 500# but that's up against the frame,,,sticj the weight 2' out on the forks, and you can't lift much...
My HLA forks are forged 1.5 x 3, so your C channels will be lighter and strong enough. I'd have made my own but got a deal I couldn't refuse.
If you're curious, try loading 24x80 patio stones, flat...see how many it'll lift, then 'stack them vertically against the frame..2 maybe 3 more ??

Key West Ralph

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M62, BT 1400V Backhoe, TL 1800 Loader, BT 4599 Thumb, Premier Auger
Mar 4, 2022
Tolland, Massachusetts
I am still trying to get all the figures together, but, I dont see any "lifting" benefits between clamp on bucket forks and dedicated QA forks. If the BX23s has 1,000lb (rounded) lift at the pin (no bucket), then you add a 120lb bucket on a QA, you get 500lb lift at 48" according to TTwTim. A dedicated QA fork setup is min 160lbs (QA attachment and forks all ready to go). So, I would be losing 40lbs of lift from the start, which gives me 460lb of lift (averaged out). From there, the math starts kicking in. I believe there is a general rule you lose so much lift beyond the pin at certain inches the further out you go. I cant find that info again and give up, lol. But, from what I HAVE read, I think the two setups are neck and neck for lift capacity. I have an extra blade on my bucket now so I dont think I will be getting a smiley face on it any time soon with 400lbs on the end of a set of clamp on's. Other than that, I dont see any advantages with lift, other than paying an extra $400.

Am I missing anything in my mathematical euphoria, lol?
I'm going with forks and quick attach versus hanging them in front of the bucket on my M62 for visibility reasons. I realize the M62 is not as limited capacity wise but it's the visability advantage for this old guy.