BT600 Back Hoe Issue

FixitTom

Equipment
BX23, LA210, BT600, BX2750A
Jun 7, 2020
Massachusetts
Hello. Happy to be a part of this Forum. Here's my problem. I have a 14 yo BX23 with 400 hrs, with a BT600 back hoe. I blew a hydraulic hose on the Boom Cylinder. I lowered the boom flat and removed the cylinder from inside the boom by pulling the front and rear pins. After installing the new hose, I put the cylinder back into the boom. Now the problem... I can't get both the pins back in. One will insert, but then the other one can't be lined up - hole to hole. Not enough space inside the boom to raise the cylinder to line up the holes. I've spent hours just looking at it and can't seem to see a solution. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Irshmun

Equipment
L35 TL720 BT900
Aug 5, 2020
Oregon
Hello. Happy to be a part of this Forum. Here's my problem. I have a 14 yo BX23 with 400 hrs, with a BT600 back hoe. I blew a hydraulic hose on the Boom Cylinder. I lowered the boom flat and removed the cylinder from inside the boom by pulling the front and rear pins. After installing the new hose, I put the cylinder back into the boom. Now the problem... I can't get both the pins back in. One will insert, but then the other one can't be lined up - hole to hole. Not enough space inside the boom to raise the cylinder to line up the holes. I've spent hours just looking at it and can't seem to see a solution. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Hmm. I am about to do the same on a BT900 backhoe (replace hoses). From the description you gave, you have the pin on the cylinder inside the boom inserted, and can't get the hole/pin inserted into the other pin - get the holes lined up. First thing I would be checking is the lay of the hoses to make sure there is enough space where the hoses feed into the boom from the control panel. You should be able to rotate the cyclinder 'eye' easily enough with a pipe or bar to line it up. I have not done this yet (will be into it in an hour or two) but should also be able to operate the cylinder under load (in/out motion - using controls) to extend/retract the cylinder. Hydraulics (from what I have read) are self-purging. You would want to support the cylinder eye pin during this .. am I close ? Missing something ?

Thanks for posting and let us know what happens or how you solved it.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Just a WAG idea, but do you have the cylinder oriented correctly? I seem to remember when I changed the boom hoses on my B4690 backhoe, I first put my cylinder back one way, and the hose fittings prevented the cylinder ends from Lining up with the pin holes.

I believe I rotated the cylinder 180 degrees and then could get the pins in. This was a couple years ago, so my memory is fuzzy...but if you did not note the orientation when you pulled the cylinder out, this might be your issue.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I think both of the other guys hit the problems I had with my BT900. The hard line has to be up (toward the front when raised), and the other hoses have to be routed straight to prevent squeezing them when the boom comes up. There's not much room in there (probably less with the BT600) and it's hard to see. But I guess I don't have to tell you that now. Leave the hoses disconnected from the valve until the pins are back in.
For future reference, I made it a little easier by blocking one side up and swinging the boom to that side. Gives a little more room and you can see up the boom better. You can use the stabilizer to lift one wheel and then block under that wheel to tilt the tractor.