Brush hog height

JRS

Oct 27, 2021
Central Texas
As I wait for my MX 6000 to arrive I have some thoughts and questions.
I will be mowing rough pastures. Can I mow with the mower elevated on the 3 point hitch or does it have to be lowered and supported by the tail wheel?

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I will be mowing rough pastures. Can I mow with the mower elevated on the 3 point hitch or does it have to be lowered and supported by the tail wheel?
It should be lowered and supported by the tail wheel. Cutters throw stuff everywhere.

Goz63

Equipment
Kubota L2501, LA525 loader, QH15,Land Pride RCR1860, BB2560, SGC0660, forks
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
You can mow with it elevated just be careful as stuff can fly out. I wouldn’t do a whole pasture that way. You can adjust the tail wheel to support the deck at higher levels. That is the safest route.

Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
you ought to be able to move the tail wheel up and down with a couple of bolts/nuts being moved to get the height you want - and allowing the wheel to support the deck.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Read your owners manual until you understand it.

You should be able to set the tail wheel so it will cut pretty high. Then drop the 3 point down about an inch lower. If you have a slip clutch make sure you slip it before you start. There are several youtubes on how to slip the clutch. If you have a shear pin buy the tools you need to change the bolt and some extra shear bolts and carry them on the tractor.

Go slow and start on the level parts of your field until you get some practice. Use caution when crossing ditches or going from flat to steep inclines so that you do not bind up the top link and bend it.

Reactions: 1 users

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You can basically remove the top link if you don’t need to lift the mower.

Most newer mowers have a linkage at the top link so you can get plenty of slack to avoid damaging the top link or tractor.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
You can basically remove the top link if you don’t need to lift the mower.

Most newer mowers have a linkage at the top link so you can get plenty of slack to avoid damaging the top link or tractor.
Exactly. In fact, this is what I did for 15 years with my little 9N Ford shredding/mowing 20 acres with a Rhino 72” cutter that weighed so much the little Ford 3pt couldn’t even pick it up. I removed the top link and used it as a pull-behind mower on its tailwheel, gauging the cutting height with the 3 pt lift arms.