Brush hog for Buckthorn

Jon Melhus

Equipment
Kubota M7040
Jun 7, 2020
MN
I have a lot of buckthorn on 40 acres, some of it quite large, and am debating between a Land Pride RCF 27 and RCF 36 series brush cutter. My tractor is an M7040 which puts it at the low end for hp to run the 36 series, but I want something stout enough to take on this task without abusing the implement. Thoughts?

Schmitty

Equipment
L4740, grapple, forks, box blade
Mar 25, 2018
Madison, WI
How "quite large" is quite large? I've got some that are 8-10" across but still come up nice with a stump puller since the roots are just a mat. I don't think I'd ever intentionally run over something over 1-1.5" with my BH Squealer 72.

Regards,
John

Jon Melhus

Equipment
Kubota M7040
Jun 7, 2020
MN
Some are much larger in diameter than the 3-4" diameter the machines are rated for, and would cut those with a saw and chemically treat the stump. I would limit any brush hog to maybe 2/3 of it's rating in terms of diameter of trees/brush. I guess my question is should I avoid being at the lower end of the recommended horse power for this type of equipment? Some people have told me that being on the low end of recommended tractor (PTO) power is hard on the tractor in the long term. Others have said that I would be driving it so slow that it doesn't matter and it is more of a concern if I wanted to drive faster.

Thanks for your input.

Cathy Liebchen

Equipment
KUBOTA L3901, MX5800, MULE PRO FX, MULE PRO FXT
Some are much larger in diameter than the 3-4" diameter the machines are rated for, and would cut those with a saw and chemically treat the stump. I would limit any brush hog to maybe 2/3 of it's rating in terms of diameter of trees/brush. I guess my question is should I avoid being at the lower end of the recommended horse power for this type of equipment? Some people have told me that being on the low end of recommended tractor (PTO) power is hard on the tractor in the long term. Others have said that I would be driving it so slow that it doesn't matter and it is more of a concern if I wanted to drive faster.

Thanks for your input.
I would rent a skidded with a Fecon mulching head, it will clear that like butter

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
You'll be fine either way. The low end is perfectly fine.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I do not know of buckthorn but I saw this the other day. I know it is a lot of money but if you have 40 acres to clear it might pay for itself. Maybe rent it to the neighbors or make some side money. There would not be stumps all over the field to worry about.