Brush Cutter Purchase

SusanDuffy

Equipment
B2601
Apr 8, 2022
Bremerton, Washington
I found a deal on a used, Land and Pride, 60 inch brush cutter. I have a B2601. According to the manual I can pull it fine. My question is, should I buy a smaller one? Or will this one be fine? Will I be sorry I bought such a big one?

thank you all for your help.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Depends on your needs and intended use really.

If you are just mowing pasture grasses/weeds, etc, then yes...it will be fine.

IF you plan on mowing down a stand of 1" to 1.5" saplings....then I think you'll have a difficult time.

Beautiful dog in your Avatar BTW.

Reactions: 2 users

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
You'll be fine with the 5 footer. Light cutting you can use full width and faster ground speeds. Saplings and tall (3-5') weeds and grass, take ½ a bite and use slower ground speeds. I prefer to back into the heavy stuff but you'll have to remove the rear skirt otherwise the trees will bend it under and the blades will hit it.

Reactions: 1 user

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I found a deal on a used, Land and Pride, 60 inch brush cutter. I have a B2601. According to the manual I can pull it fine. My question is, should I buy a smaller one? Or will this one be fine? Will I be sorry I bought such a big one?

thank you all for your help.
Manufacturers usually recommend 5 PTO HP per foot of rough cut mower. Yes, one can set mower higher and/or mow less than the full 60" after the first round.

As always, HP requirement depends upon what you plan to cut and how fast you hope to move while cutting. Contrary to popular belief, heavy grass requires much more HP to cut than does tall weeds/brush.

Equally important is the weight of the cutter. Your tractor Operator's Manual will specify maximum recommended weights for various three point attachments. Yes, you can fudge a bit but but don't overdo it and a heavy cutter will require front weights, especially if you have steep ground.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
It will do fine. I ran a little 18hp 9N in front of a 72” Rhino shredder for years. The 3-pt wouldn’t pick it up with a top-link attached it was so heavy…but the lift arms without a top link would lift the shredder front off the ground and I used the shredder on it’s tail-wheel as a “pull-behind” mower on pretty tall/rough stuff for 15 years no problem.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
If you mow trails like I do, it would be a real nuisance in having to keep looking back and to the side of the trail to make sure you don't hang it on something.

If only mowing a big field, it's what you want.

My Barn

Equipment
Kubota, Ford
Sep 14, 2022
Michigan
I have for years used my Woods M5-4 on my Ford. To make trails with no problems...My has a slip clutch and stump jumper. Most just have shear pin (or bolt) it's good to have spare. Yes it will shear the pin/bolt to save damaging your tractor.
But outside of that you be find...Just made sure no one is in behind you! If it catches a rock or some thing it will shoot it out. I know that after taking a window out in our house!

Last edited:
  • Wow

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I have for years used my Woods M5-4 on my Ford. To make trails with no problems...My has a slip clutch and stump jumper. Most just have shear pin (or bolt) it's good to have spare. Yes it will shear the pin/bolt to save damaging your tractor.
But outside of that you be find...Just made sure no one is in behind you! If it catches a rock or some thing it will shoot it out. I know that after taking a window out in our house!
Keep kids, family, and pets FAR AWAY!

Reactions: 1 users