Broken steering gear on L1500Has anyone had this problem

L.T.

Equipment
Kubota 1500, 4 ft. Corona mower, one bottom breaking plow, 5 ft. disc hipperbe
May 5, 2021
Arkansas
Must have a broken steering gear in my L1500. Steering wheel just goes round and round. Has anyone had this problem? New member and not much of a mechanic, Appreciate any advice.

alasippi

Equipment
zen Noh zl1500
Apr 22, 2014
Louisville,Ms
Yep. Easiest fix is to replace the whole gearbox assembly. Be sure to get a good one though. I made the mistake of buying a cheap Pakistani or Indian made one that the worm gear shattered like glass on after very little use. You can rebuild it but it is very tedious with the little ball bearings in the recirculating worm gear. You also want to make sure the steering column seal is good. Mine allowed water to get down in the gearbox which froze and busted the tubes that hold the recirculating ball bearings.

Last edited:

L.T.

Equipment
May 5, 2021
Arkansas
Yep. Easiest fix is to replace the whole gearbox assembly. Be sure to get a good one though. I made the mistake of buying a cheap Pakistani or Indian made one that the worm gear shattered like glass on after very little use. You can rebuild it but it is very tedious with the little ball bearings in the recirculating worm gear. You also want to make sure the steering column seal is good. Mine allowed water to get down in the gearbox which froze and busted the tubes that hold the recirculating ball bearings.

L.T.

Equipment
May 5, 2021
Arkansas
Had the same thing happen about 10 years ago. Rainwater got in, and it all froze and busted. Took the tractor to an old welder. He tore it down and was able to fix it, but said "If it breaks again, you'll have to get another one."
So, here i am. Don't know where to get a good one. Like you, I'm leery of all this replacement stuff. Do you know a good source?

L.T.

Equipment
May 5, 2021
Arkansas
Thanks Bill, keep getting busy signal, but will try again. Looks like I'll have to take fuel tank and instrument cowling off. not too mechanically minded, so am calling a friend over. Sure need my little Kubota going, grass is getting high and it's hard to use my big tractor in the garden.

L.T.

Equipment
May 5, 2021
Arkansas
This list was sent to me a few weeks ago by Wayne Casey,
just came out of the blue, not sure if he is on the OTT or not.

May be helpful.
Bill, we've had stormy weather for nearly 2 weeks here in L.A. "lower Arkansas" No phone service to speak of. Get computer service from a dish, so that was out most of the time. I finally ordered a gearbox off Internet, when service came back on. Supposed to arrive 17 th. My son said he would come help me. He fixes his Yamaha Rhino when it breaks down, so maybe together we can make the repair. Thanks for the help.

L.T.

Equipment
May 5, 2021
Arkansas
Bill, we've had stormy weather for nearly 2 weeks here in L.A. "lower Arkansas" No phone service to speak of. Get computer service from a dish, so that was out most of the time. I finally ordered a gearbox off Internet, when service came back on. Supposed to arrive 17 th. My son said he would come help me. He fixes his Yamaha Rhino when it breaks down, so maybe together we can make the repair. Thanks for the help.
Bad weather finally moved out ' My son came over and helped me put the new steering gear in. Went pretty well, with him here. I was worried at first because the sticker read ...YANMAR....but it fit just right. Got my little Kubota back!
i bought it twenty years ago out of Plain Dealing, Louisiana for $3100. had 1126 hours on it at the time.
Now has i772. the alternator went out four years ago and couldn't be repaired, so I had a local tractor mechanic put a Chevrolet one wire alternator on it. Has worked fine since then. Thanks for the help and info on this forum. It's time to plow the garden!

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Please post a link to what you bought since there are other tractors that could use similar part.

billrigsby

Equipment
L1500DT Too many implements, or is there such a thing?
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com

Glad she up and running!!

L.T.

Equipment
May 5, 2021
Arkansas
Please post a link to what you bought since there are other tractors that could use similar part.
Russell....I have pictures, but can't figure out how to send them. I bought it off a Seller on Amazon, called Arko Tractor Parts. It cost a lot, $387 with shipping, but I had to have it. Has a 30 day return warranty, but right now is working fine.
The unit is made by a company named Sparex out of England, and I thought it was made there or in France, but come to find out they have factories all over the world, so there's no telling where it was made.
I thought it was being shipped from New York, but it wound uo coming from California, so I'm pretty sure it was made in an Asian country.