Broken/Cracked hydraulic pump

small&mighty99

Jun 16, 2009
Braselton Ga. USA
Hello again Folks,
I've decided to move this to a topic of its own,........

well the ever so dreaded has happen, The Hydraulic pump has cracked, I got the FEL installed today and as I was checking it out lifting etc,etc, I found that it would not come back down only went up in all control positions, so i checked to be sure the inlet and return was correct, which it was, I had to get the bucket back down so I loosen the pressure side line to releaf pressure hopefully would come down, but still did not, actually no pressure on either inlet or return lines, so I was told to try reverse the 2 lines as a possible way to get it down? this is when it happen, I fired up the tractor and push the Remote ( CRACK ) went the pump, after some few choise words &%@#!, I then realized wasn't the right thing to try .... oops! after thinking things thru I remember being told ( Vic) that the 3 rd line that was cap
may have to be connect to the hydraulic reservoir in some way, which I did not do.... apparently this line holds the return oil and had built up pressure causing the system to lock up while being cap off and would not let the lift back down again, once I open this line back up by removing the cap I could then lower the lift with the remote control without it running,
and hydro fluid came from the line and would in fact have return to the tractors reservoir had it been connected there...... Look like a real expensive lesson learned, sick! anyone have any idea where I might purchase a good used hydraulic pump for a YM 1700 ??? or is this going to be another call for JB-------> weld

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
From eserv

well at least you "proved" there was nothing wrong with your pump!!
A worn out pump wouldn't have broke!
Never tried jb weld to fix a broken pump but what have you to lose except your time?
Ed Service

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes that is true... the pump was very strong, it lift the loader much quicker then it had been lifting the 3 pnt, I still had not got that figured out, in fact this would have been one way of eliminating the pump being the cause of
"slow lift issue, I didn't get very far with trouble shooting as i knew my FEL mounting bracket was being delivered today, now i must back up and start over once again,

Last edited:

small&mighty99

Jun 16, 2009
Braselton Ga. USA
is anyone familiar with this single Joystic hydraulic control ? made by --> (BB hydraulis LTD ) I caanot find a thing on the net about them, supposed to be in Canada,.....
the pictures I post are how I currently have the hoses connected to the pressure line,
the hose you see on the far left of the remote is coming from the pump side on the pressure line,( the right QD's) there is an arrow pointing ( In ) on this side of the remote so I am assuming it is connected correctly? the hose on the right side is out to return to the other side of the same pressure line (letf QD's )on the tractor going back to the reservoir,.....
the line i am pointing at is the 3rd line that was begining capt off,
I dont think it being capt off was what actully cracked the pump? not sure though! because it wasn't until after my Helper reversed the 2 other lines coming from the tractor when the pump actually cracked....... this 3rd line/hose is approx 6 1/2 ft long so I'm sure it went to the rear of the tractor, I have for now put the other end of this hose just laid over in the fill hole of the reservoir for now until I can locate a good place for the final connection, anyone see anywhere in any of these pictures to connect this line?......... can anyone confirm that these hoses are in fact conneted correctly on the joystick control?.....
Remeber that when I first made the connection the FEL would only go up when I move the joystic either up or down, and the bucket itself actully would only tilt down when moving joystick from left side to side right, when both reached the max they simply locked into position, I tried at first removing the return hose from the remote in attempt to releaf pressure, there was not presureon thisline at all even while FEL all up, the same with the inlet hose, No Presure when disconnected, I finally un-cap this 3rd line in order to release the fluid and then the FEL came down while moving the remote Up-n-down several times,
I think I have located a Good used pump although it will be 300, so I'm not sure if I might rather opt for a New one for a few bucks more? But I want to be sure all is correctly connected next time around, someone please advise????
Thanks

Last edited:

small&mighty99

Jun 16, 2009
Braselton Ga. USA
Hey Smalland mighty,

Looking at that joystick, I recognize the INPUT from the tractors pump as being closest to the hood of the tractor, where the joystick relief cartridge is located, so you are correct.

Dialing down on the cartridge tip, probably with a hex key (after backing off the set nuts) will increase the loader lift capacity, as the tractors pump can chime more pressure before the stick internally bypasses.

The return line on the joystick that takes hydraulic oil back to the tractor is is hooked up to a large brass fitting on the joystick, that is a "Power Beyond" convertor, that will also direct hydraulic fluid up to the 3rd line port, (where you are pointing).

You should be able to remove the brass nut device, you'll see that it will have a small port, mabey an O-ring on it, and just plumb your return line directly to the joystick. As well, you should be able to "cap" off the 3rd line, with a brass pipe plug fitting, and delete the 3rd line all together.

Your joystick is manufactured by BlB Hydraulics, check out their website for tech info, looks to me like your stick is a model BM40

http://www.blbhydraulic.it/index.html

Thanks!
for the info -Vic- You sure know your parts, this is the bIb model BM40, I'm glad to know that all is connected correctly and that I can do away with the 3rd line, if it has no purposs? then it is nothing more then in the way,....
Could you please explain to me in your opinion why the loader would only go up? and not come back down? because this is the same way I had it connected in the begining while testing the loader,although the 3rd line was cap off at that time, does the 3pnt control lever have to be in a certain position? because at the time of attempting to operate the FEL I never paid any attention to where the 3pt lever was positioned, and was not until after all the damage was done I notice the 3 pnt. lever was all the way down,
or does it even matter where the 3 pnt lever is positioned to opperated the FEL ? the reason I ask is I have used other tractors with FEL with having a rear Box scrape at the same time and the 3 pnt/box being up while using the FEL with no problems, But on the other hand I never have let the 3 pnt /rear box down while using a FEL so I wouldn't know what might would happen :confused: does the 3pnt lift need to be in a positioned in order for the hydraulics to flow?
Thanks again for your help! and for the link's

Last edited:

small&mighty99

Jun 16, 2009
Braselton Ga. USA
Thanks! Vic . some very good info you have provided,
I have done as you suggest and elimintated the "power beyond" adaptor and connect the return line back to the control, I then removed and caped off the 3rd hose/line at the control as you suggest, I reinstalled the crack pump and inlet & return line to the pump, despite the fact I knew it was going to leek I went ahead a started the tractor to operated the remote, It worked perfectly in all posistions,... of course fluid spraying 6 ft. out, I only did this briefly,..... it will now be ready to work when I get the new pump,
Big! thanks

Last edited: