Broke the 3pt backhoe

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
My backhoe attachment has an extendable dipper which I guess is pretty rare. When the backhoe is stowed the bucket is about 16" off the ground but in knobby terrain the bucket sometimes touches the ground. When it catches on the ground it pulls the extendable dipper out (internal seal or valve leaky)

So today while roughing in a driveway i was backing up and noticed the backhoe bucket was fetching up and dragging and at a weird angle so heres what i found.:

backhoe broke.jpg

It caught the ground as I was backing and didnt hear any issues since i had hearing protection on. Damage was done by the time i noticed.
Told wife this is scrap and now i need an excavator.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
It is hard to believe that did not jar your teeth a little when that happened. But Sh*t happens. At least from the picture it looks like you can repair it without to much trouble. I hope.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
It is hard to believe that did not jar your teeth a little when that happened. But Sh*t happens. At least from the picture it looks like you can repair it without to much trouble. I hope.
I didnt feel a thing. Its repairable but the design is pretty flimsy to begin with and if you look close the pin bosses have been welded a few times before

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
Figured id cut the pin, heat the boom where its bent and beat the crap out of it with a BFH

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
It’s always disappointing when you damage something but it happens to all of us. Hopefully as Big G commented it will be reparable. I’ve thought hard a few times about buying a backhoe for one of my tractors but always come back to the conclusion that compact tractors are not the best item for a backhoe attachment, at the times when I’ve needed one I’ve rented either a TLB or a small excavator.

An excavator is a great machine, tell your wife I support your recommendation just don’t tell her what they cost ... lol

Reactions: 1 user

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
Yeah the backhoe attachment is pretty limited in ability but BOY is it better than a shovel. Ive only been using it to pop rocks out of the ground and very minor digging tasks. It makes a great counterweight too.

BigG

Equipment
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I was thinking that you could bend the wings back into place then cut off the tips where the "pin bosses" are then add additional wings to the out side to make the weak point stronger. Then weld in new bushings with a pin in place to get the alignment with the new bushings correct. Then you might not need to line bore the bushings to get the pin back in.

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
Let us know how it works out. Someone here will buy the backhoe!

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
Update on this:
Got her all fixed up then listed it for sale for $2500. Was 100% up front about the repairs and loose pins. sold in less than 24 hours had many people interested. I paid 1200 for it.

Bought a Bobcat 337. That should dig a little better.
20200711_144133_resized_2.jpg
20200711_144922_resized_2.jpg

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
I was thinking that you could bend the wings back into place then cut off the tips where the "pin bosses" are then add additional wings to the out side to make the weak point stronger. Then weld in new bushings with a pin in place to get the alignment with the new bushings correct. Then you might not need to line bore the bushings to get the pin back in.
This is exactly what i ended up doing

BigG

Equipment
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Good looking repair. And you got to like the money made.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
Quite an upgrade from a 3pt backhoe to this 11,500lb machine:
Bobcat 337 powered by a Kubota 48hp
20200805_165958_resized.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Well looks like the wife approved the excavator! It will definitely out dig your tractor back hoe. That’s a reasonable sized machine, good luck with it. Those front blades sure come in handy too for filling in and tidy up.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
sounds like you did OK !!!! I was looking at the pix and wondered how much to replace those original hoses ?????? And of course how much 'fun' it'd be to replace !

Timmer92

Equipment
2019 L3901 (former - BX2370), 72" Brush Hog, 72" Hydraulic Snow Blade, 3pt Auger
Dec 4, 2019
Minnesota
Figured id cut the pin, heat the boom where its bent and beat the crap out of it with a BFH
Whether you fix it or not, sometimes using a BFH on it makes you feel better!

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
Well looks like the wife approved the excavator! It will definitely out dig your tractor back hoe. That’s a reasonable sized machine, good luck with it. Those front blades sure come in handy too for filling in and tidy up.
I have a very good wife for sure. We are building a camp and developing a second property so the theory is I can do all or most of the excavating and tree work required with this machine rather than hiring it out.

The sale of the repaired backhoe paid for a Manca thumb which is on the way, all new filters and oils, a new seat bottom and some cash left over to go towards future maintenance stuff which im sure ill need.

2900 hours, pins are tight except the buckets got a little slop. Drives are strong, tracks 70%.
Kubota engine starts and runs like a top...and its TURBO

Undercarriage needs 2 new rollers but lucky me my neighbor is a retired machinist from the local shipyard and has a basement full of machine tools.

Reactions: 1 users

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I have a very good wife for sure. We are building a camp and developing a second property so the theory is I can do all or most of the excavating and tree work required with this machine rather than hiring it out.

The sale of the repaired backhoe paid for a Manca thumb which is on the way, all new filters and oils, a new seat bottom and some cash left over to go towards future maintenance stuff which im sure ill need.

2900 hours, pins are tight except the buckets got a little slop. Drives are strong, tracks 70%.
Kubota engine starts and runs like a top...and its TURBO

Undercarriage needs 2 new rollers but lucky me my neighbor is a retired machinist from the local shipyard and has a basement full of machine tools.
I do a lot of tree work with my excavator, I swapped from a bucket to a rake type attachment, it allows me to work quicker and to make a lot less mess when removing tree roots, you may want to think about one with that "left over money", it really was not expensive and was custom made for my machine. Good luck with your new toy oops machine. It sounds like you have plenty of use planned for it.

Kubota KX 040 Aug 2020.jpg