Brand New LP SGC0554 Hydro Leak

Grindstone

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH, MMM
Mar 10, 2022
CT
So I finally got my tractor back after fixing a engine oil leak under warranty, installing a 3rd function, and purchasing a new LP grapple. Right after delivery I checked all the fluids, moved my bucket with the grapple, parked it and went to the dump. Once I got home I started playing around with the grapple and moving some brush. After about three small loads of brush and moving a rock I hopped off the tractor to move something by hand and noticed a hydro fitting was spewing out fluid. I tightened it and then checked my fluid which was significantly lower than when i initially checked it earlier after delivery. I added fluid and got back to work. Not long after the same fitting started leaking again. Tightened it and went real easy getting a lil more brush and the same damn fitting was leaking again. At this point i was pissed, took off the grapple, on goes the bucket and clamp on pallet forks and back to work I go.

First do any if you know why this same fitting keeps on leaking?

Second what would you say to the dealer? Explain the situation and let them fix it or tell em take it back and try n get a refund?

At this point I am beyond aggravated because I will lose at least two days of work when I have already been over two for my tractor to get back to me.

Sorry for the long post and looking forward to your thoughts.

Attachments

Shekkie

Equipment
LX2610, Virnig 60" Grapple, WoodMaxx TM-86H, Woods 60" BB/72”RB
Feb 12, 2022
Grafton, Ohio
I’d loosen the line completely (after being sure pressure is relieved) and see if the fitting mating surfaces are damaged or dirty. If dirty just clean and reassemble. If damaged then contact the dealer and go from there. Either way shouldn’t be too difficult to get corrected.

Are you sure it was tight enough and not just snug?

Grindstone

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH, MMM
Mar 10, 2022
CT
I’d loosen the line completely (after being sure pressure is relieved) and see if the fitting mating surfaces are damaged or dirty. If dirty just clean and reassemble. If damaged then contact the dealer and go from there. Either way shouldn’t be too difficult to get corrected.

Are you sure it was tight enough and not just snug?
It mustve been just snug when i received it but when I tightened it I made sure it was really tight but worked itself loose. I will check the fittings tomorrow like you said.

Ogarret

Mar 20, 2022
South Carolina
Just received the same grapple about a month ago. Second use with it the female fitting on grapple side hose came completely loose spilling fluid. Makes me question the workmanship going on at Land Pride.

Grindstone

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH, MMM
Mar 10, 2022
CT
Just received the same grapple about a month ago. Second use with it the female fitting on grapple side hose came completely loose spilling fluid. Makes me question the workmanship going on at Land Pride.
Have you had any other issues since?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
So I finally got my tractor back after fixing a engine oil leak under warranty, installing a 3rd function, and purchasing a new LP grapple. Right after delivery I checked all the fluids, moved my bucket with the grapple, parked it and went to the dump. Once I got home I started playing around with the grapple and moving some brush. After about three small loads of brush and moving a rock I hopped off the tractor to move something by hand and noticed a hydro fitting was spewing out fluid. I tightened it and then checked my fluid which was significantly lower than when i initially checked it earlier after delivery. I added fluid and got back to work. Not long after the same fitting started leaking again. Tightened it and went real easy getting a lil more brush and the same damn fitting was leaking again. At this point i was pissed, took off the grapple, on goes the bucket and clamp on pallet forks and back to work I go.

First do any if you know why this same fitting keeps on leaking?

Second what would you say to the dealer? Explain the situation and let them fix it or tell em take it back and try n get a refund?

At this point I am beyond aggravated because I will lose at least two days of work when I have already been over two for my tractor to get back to me.

Sorry for the long post and looking forward to your thoughts.
There are two fittings there. One is a port adapter screwed into the cylinder and the other is a hose end swivel screwed on to the adapter. Are you sure you know which one is leaking and that both are tight?

Dan

Grindstone

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH, MMM
Mar 10, 2022
CT
There are two fittings there. One is a port adapter screwed into the cylinder and the other is a hose end swivel screwed on to the adapter. Are you sure you know which one is leaking and that both are tight?

Dan
Hi Dan, the hose end swivel is the one that was loose and keeps on backing out. I saw the fluid pouring only out of the hose end. The port adapter was tight and has stayed that way.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
The swivel is likely a JIC fitting and it should be tightened to 20 lb-ft for -6 and 45 lb-ft for -8. They are 37 degree flare fittings and seal by metal to metal contact between the cone and seat.

If it makes a leak tight seal when tightened the seats are fine. My first suspicion is the hose is pulling on the stem of the elbow and loosening the swivel nut just like a wrench. If you can zip tie the hose/elbow to the cylinder or some other rigid strain relief it may resolve your problem.

Dan

Grindstone

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH, MMM
Mar 10, 2022
CT
The swivel is likely a JIC fitting and it should be tightened to 20 lb-ft for -6 and 45 lb-ft for -8. They are 37 degree flare fittings and seal by metal to metal contact between the cone and seat.

If it makes a leak tight seal when tightened the seats are fine. My first suspicion is the hose is pulling on the stem of the elbow and loosening the swivel nut just like a wrench. If you can zip tie the hose/elbow to the cylinder or some other rigid strain relief it may resolve your problem.

Dan
Thank you very much Dan I will try that when I get a chance!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
The tendency is to really crank on a leaking fitting.

I've had to walk away from a few before I broke something....a bigger wrench is never a good solution..... 😳

I would probably back it out completely and re-thread to ensure not cross-threaded, is clean, etc.

Then, like Dan suggested, secure the hose to avoid it torquing the fitting loose.

Reactions: 1 user

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
Also when you install it again take a sharpie and mark the fittings. You can then quickly see if the fittings are moving again.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
General hint, related to The OldHokie's post:
Hold the hose from turning while tightening the nut. With a straight fitting, use two wrenches, one on the hose end to keep the hose from twisting while tightening the nut with the other wrench. With an angle fitting you can hold it with pliers or your hand. If you don't hold the hose, it twists as you tighten the nut. Then when hydraulic pressure is applied, the hose tries to straighten and un-twist, loosening the nut.

Reactions: 1 users