Bought my first tractor

nwjones18

Equipment
L4701 HST, RCR1872 Rotary Cutter, RTA1266 Tiller and Grapple
Jan 21, 2021
Warner Robins, GA
I've been shopping for a Tractor for around a year and finally got lucky yesterday. 2015 L4701 HST with 125hrs, Grapple, Bucket, Brush hog and tiller. I'd been looking at new L2501's, but was concerned about lift capacity with the grapple, and the Kioti CK2610 but didn't love my local dealer. This popped up a couple hrs away on FB marketplace and I sent the guy a deposit immediatly. Decent tractors sell instantly around here. I ended up with a lot more tractor than I ever though I'd have, but I don't ever hear anyone complaining about having 'to much' tractor...

I don't believe it ever had its 50hr service. Which I believe involves changing 2 hydraulic filters and the engine oil/filter, so that will be my first project. I read there is no substitute for the Kubota hydraulic fluid. How much should I expect to loose changing the filters?

Only known issue is the guy told me that if you have the fuel filter/water separator bolted on correctly the tractor will starve for fuel, but if you let it dangle on the hoses it runs correctly.. Sounded made up to me but sure enough when I attached it the tractor ran out of gas, let it hang and it fired right back up. It looks filthy and definitely has some water in it so cleaning that will be one of the first things as well. All I can imagine that could be is trash/slime in the tank/lines? Tractor was stored outdoors.

Overall seems like a really nice machine. I'll be using it for woods clean-up and food plot preparation
IMG_3326.jpg
IMG_3327.jpg
IMG_3330.JPG
IMG_3333.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
Congrats on the new machine! I'll defer to others more familiar with that model to answer the fuel/water separator question. As for the filters, check if they are grey or white. They come grey from the factory and dealerships sell white ones. That would be your first indication about the 50 hour service having been performed or not.

Last edited:

Ikc1990

Equipment
Kubota m125x, m9000, b2710, and other equiptment
Dec 2, 2020
Vermont
By the way nice find that's a good set up. You will be impressed congratulations

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Very nice rig - - enjoy it! Welcome to OTT!

Also I believe as long as it says kubota udt spec then you can change the oil to a different like tsc or farm store has just not 303. Being hydrostatic.
Since it is an HST, I would strongly advise sticking with Kubota SUDT2 fluid, and Kubota filters all around.

Pick a good diesel-rated motor oil of your choosing. I use Shell Rotella T6 5w-40.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

nwjones18

Equipment
Jan 21, 2021
Warner Robins, GA
Congrats on the new machine! I'll defer to others more familiar with that model to answer the fuel/water separator question. As for the filters, check if they are grey or white. They come grey from the factory and dealerships sell white ones. That would be your first indication about the 50 hour service having been performed or not.
The filters on it are all painted Grey, so I don't think its ever had an oil change. Its still full though so I doubt anything is hurt, but its past due. The hydraulic fluid is almost perfectly clear on the dipstick, but would like to change the filters since I assume they have break in metal in them. I've got a service manual ordered (guy had lost all the paperwork in a move).

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Congrats on your new machine - you will do things you never thought imaginable!

AS for the filters ..... yes - gray paint, bad news ..... change them!

as for the hydraulic fluid - DO NOT place anything in there other than Kubota oil - I know, I know - other may say "any oil that meet Kubota specs" - but I will tell you this - that HST transmission is finicky and another "oil" in there would not be a good thing.

Personally - drop the filters and the oil - replace BOTH with Kubota brand - if you hear a "whine" while moving - the S-UDT2 will calm that down. That oil is expensive but well worth it - and perhaps you will not need to change it till 400 hours or so.

Reactions: 2 users

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Welcome aboard.
Shame on you for not asking us before you bought so we could question your motives and analyze your needs and give you a unanimous (ha) recommendation that would perfectly fit your needs and budget :) .
Congrats! Looks like a nice deal.
Is it possible that a fuel line is kinking when you move the separator?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Welcome aboard.
Shame on you for not asking us before you bought so we could question your motives and analyze your needs and give you a unanimous (ha) recommendation that would perfectly fit your needs and budget :) .
Good you moved quick!

When I read PoTreeBoy's comment, could not help but remember a number of times on forums when people have asked if something was a good deal, then came back and said they missed the deal because they hesitated...

Looks like you did good!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Nice outfit!

Post #3 is WRONG. DO NOT use any hyd fluid except Kubota Super UDT2. Yep it cost way more then the Tractor Supply type, but it is what the Kubota says to use. And you only need to change it every 400 hours.

I might add, get some kind of expanded metal attached to your grill guard and you'll keep things from messing with the front of your tractor when using the grapple.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

nwjones18

Equipment
Jan 21, 2021
Warner Robins, GA
Welcome aboard.
I've been lurking on the forums for a while and had been watching the market around here pretty close so when I saw this I knew it was time to go for it quick..

I'm thinking a kink is possible as well.. If it was junk in the tank it wouldn't matter what angle the water seporator was hanging at.. Its out at our hunting land so I'll have to wait till next time I'm out there to check it out.. I'll probably pull off the fuel line from the tank and let it run into a bucket just to make sure.

Reactions: 1 users

nwjones18

Equipment
Jan 21, 2021
Warner Robins, GA
Good you moved quick!

When I read PoTreeBoy's comment, could not help but remember a number of times on forums when people have asked if something was a good deal, then came back and said they missed the deal because they hesitated...

Looks like you did good!
Thanks! I've been watching tractors on craigslist/ facebook marketplace for long enough to know what things are moving for around here. I paid $23k for everything and I think I did pretty well. The guy said he had people in line if I didn't show up and had people offer him more than what I'd agreed to pay. His invoice from 2015 was $36,500..

When you find exactly what you want used for a reasonable price you better not flinch or it'll be gone..

nwjones18

Equipment
Jan 21, 2021
Warner Robins, GA
Welcome!!
Very creatively loaded up that trailer! lol
Thanks! They guy had it set up that way when we got there. I wouldn't have thought about setting the tiller on the bush hog..

My dad is a 737 pilot for AA.

WDF

Equipment
Kubota L2501 HST/FEL
Jan 4, 2021
Central Florida
Congratulations, I suspected (and you confirmed) that you stole that tractor from someone.
What a great deal and good idea for jumping on things quick.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Thanks! I've been watching tractors on craigslist/ facebook marketplace for long enough to know what things are moving for around here. I paid $23k for everything and I think I did pretty well. The guy said he had people in line if I didn't show up and had people offer him more than what I'd agreed to pay. His invoice from 2015 was $36,500..

When you find exactly what you want used for a reasonable price you better not flinch or it'll be gone..
I'd say you done good. Yep, do your homework and be ready to pull the trigger when the right deal comes along.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

I agree with the do not flinch or it's gone, but you also have to realize you were dealing with someone with integrity. Many would have not waited and got more money, or even return your "security deposit' and sold it out under you!

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Personally - drop the filters and the oil - replace BOTH with Kubota brand - if you hear a "whine" while moving - the S-UDT2 will calm that down. That oil is expensive but well worth it - and perhaps you will not need to change it till 400 hours or so.
$250. ish for the oil and filters, $7000. plus labor for a hydrostat.:unsure: Stick with Kubota SUDT2 only.