Bought B2410 - don't understand the Hydro fluid change process from Op Manual

cwl3

Mar 31, 2016
Hickory, NC
I've just purchased my first tractor (aside from some old 1970's era cub cadets) a *very* used B2410 4WD HST. I stopped at the dealership on the way home and picked up all fluids and filters to do a complete service on it before I use it. I also was able to get a copy of the Operators Manual.

I've got a couple of questions as the whole hydro fluid change process does not seem very clear from the Operators manual.

My first question is - I can't find the "front" transmission" fluid plug. (see pic below) Do I have one? The manual is for several tractors...

My next question is about the the 2 filters on the hydro. One seems to be mentioned by name in the Operators manual (Transmission Oil Filter - pg63) - the other just appears in a picture titled "rear transmission case" - an no real instruction seems to indicate removing it. What is this filter called and what does it do as opposed to the one on the right side of tractor (when operating) - the one next to the strainer?

For the process - I assume I should first drain the fluid via the 2 plugs on the bottom left (when operating tractor) of the transmission? (One looks like it is on the mid-pto output?) Then remove both canister filters? (one on each side) The remove/clean the strainer? Then drain the "front transmission case"?

On page 62 of the Operators guide - it mentions draining the front transmission case - but there is no mention of a filter or how to get fluid back INTO the front case.

When cleaning the strainer - how likely are the o-rings to have issues? The dealer didn't sell me any - but also didn't mention servicing the strainer - I came across that in the manual. I'm trying to device if I should pick a couple up - if they seem to have issues when strainer is removed?

Thanks for any help!

-Calvin

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I also was able to get a copy of the Operators Manual.
I'll send you a link to download the WSM, it will have more info than the Operator manual.

My first question is - I can't find the "front" transmission" fluid plug. (see pic below) Do I have one?
EDIT: Yes read next post for clarification.
Post below shows location of clutch housing drain not front gear case drain.
Your posted picture, instructions and description that they give you is very misleading.
It's a plug on the back bottom of what we would normally call the bell housing.
If there is more than a few drops of fluid in there when you pull the plug there is an issue with seals and you'll need to get into some serious depths to fix it.
Here is a better angle of where it's at.

Edit: Below is wrong there is 3

So it's only the 2 plugs in the back that will drain hydraulic fluid.

My next question is about the the 2 filters on the hydro. One seems to be mentioned by name in the Operators manual (Transmission Oil Filter - pg63) - the other just appears in a picture titled "rear transmission case" - an no real instruction seems to indicate removing it. What is this filter called and what does it do as opposed to the one on the right side of tractor (when operating) - the one next to the strainer?
One is a hydraulic system filter, and the other is a HST filter, they both do the same job, but they are on different suction ports.

For the process - I assume I should first drain the fluid via the 2 plugs on the bottom left (when operating tractor) of the transmission? (One looks like it is on the mid-pto output?) Then remove both canister filters? (one on each side) The remove/clean the strainer? Then drain the "front transmission case"?
Yep you got it.

On page 62 of the Operators guide - it mentions draining the front transmission case - but there is no mention of a filter or how to get fluid back INTO the front case.
Edit: Wrong info below, read next post for clarification
Like I said above, there shouldn't be any fluid in there, hence it doesn't need a filter.

When cleaning the strainer - how likely are the o-rings to have issues? The dealer didn't sell me any - but also didn't mention servicing the strainer - I came across that in the manual. I'm trying to device if I should pick a couple up - if they seem to have issues when strainer is removed?
I always change those O-rings when I pull the filter.

Attachments

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Clarification is needed when doing a fluid change you pull the plug out of the front gear case (directly attached to the clutch housing), I inadvertently showed the Clutch case plug and not the Front gear case plug.
When you pull the front gear case plug you will get whatever oil is left in the system, when you pull the clutch case plug you should get very little oil (seepage) or a small amount of water (condensation), if there is a fair amount of oil in there then seals are blow or damaged.

cwl3 asked "On page 62 of the Operators guide - it mentions draining the front transmission case - but there is no mention of a filter or how to get fluid back INTO the front case."

It's filled via the PS circuit return, then back to the main case and filtered by the main filter. ;)

Hope this clear it up. :eek: :p :D

Attachments

Last edited: