Bluetooth Radio Options?

Miawpukek

Equipment
U27-4 Excavator
Jun 1, 2023
Newfoundland
Looking for advice on a bluetooth radio in my excavator. I contacted the local dealership where I bought the tractor from, and they have them for $459.00 plus tax. Can't bring myself to spend that much on a radio. Lol I looked on Amazon for a cheaper alternative and the only ones I can find there have the square 9 pin plug. But this is the plugs on my machine.

Where is everyone buying their radios from?

Attachments

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
Check out Crutchfield if you want an installed unit. Call their tech line and they can guide & fix you up.

FWIW: A Couple of alternatives & my simple solution for classic cars is a digital amp that you stream to vs a head unit or even just a decent BT portable speak (they have gotten very good & cheap - pick your brand)

BTW: my simple solution when spending a lot of hours on my open tractor is Bose noise-canceling in-ears under HD muffs ;)

Reactions: 1 users

Miawpukek

Equipment
U27-4 Excavator
Jun 1, 2023
Newfoundland
Check out Crutchfield if you want an installed unit. Call their tech line and they can guide & fix you up.

FWIW: A Couple of alternatives & my simple solution for classic cars is a digital amp that you stream to vs a head unit or even just a decent BT portable speak (they have gotten very good & cheap - pick your brand)

BTW: my simple solution when spending a lot of hours on my open tractor is Bose noise-canceling in-ears under HD muffs ;)
Thanks for the help!

I thought about Crutchfield, but haven't spoken to them yet. I bought a subwoofer/amp combo from them a few years ago, very easy group of people to deal with.

Right now I'm using a portable bluetooth speaker that I toss in my cup holder Lol but I figured since the speakers are already there, may as well get a radio or something to use them.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I put one the cheap boss audio radios in mine a couple of months ago. Nothing great, but it certainly works just fine.

Here's the one I used (with the correct wiring plugs).

boss audio.JPG

Edit: I see that you and I have the same machine. Congrats! The only issue with the radio is that it is VERY difficult to read the faceplate on the radio. It's in a really bad position behind the seat.

One additional item, I added some "glass privacy mesh" to my windows. It helps to keep the temp down inside the cab.

Reactions: 1 user

Miawpukek

Equipment
U27-4 Excavator
Jun 1, 2023
Newfoundland
I put one the cheap boss audio radios in mine a couple of months ago. Nothing great, but it certainly works just fine.

Here's the one I used (with the correct wiring plugs).

View attachment 103933

Edit: I see that you and I have the same machine. Congrats! The only issue with the radio is that it is VERY difficult to read the faceplate on the radio. It's in a really bad position behind the seat.

One additional item, I added some "glass privacy mesh" to my windows. It helps to keep the temp down inside the cab.
This is perfect!! I just ordered it. Thanks for the link.

I’m thinking I may have to do something with my windows too. Had to close the door/windows yesterday because of the mosquitos, almost sweat to death! Lol Wish they had a/c along with that heat function.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Radios today (mp3 and so on) are incredibly simple to install.

Crutchfield opened in my neck of the woods in the late 70's - and they are terrific. YOU MIGHT find a cheaper radio somewhere else - but their customer service is off the chart. They are real people and will help you in real time.

I bought a new radio and speaker for my jeep - could not have been happier.

IF you could come up with a wiring diagram for those wires you have shown - it would be easy to hook up the new radio.

The good news is 99% of all manufacturers now follow the same wiring colors for speakers and leads.

this IS from Crutchfield :

1685658919576.png

And if you do not want to cut those leads from the U27-4 - you can tap off the wire and and each coming from the new stereo.

1685659227042.png

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Crutchfield was awesome to deal with.

Their wiring harness's made it a breeze to install my last 2 radios (automotive)

Aside: My first radio "wiring job" circa 1986 went great.....until she turned on the headlights and the horn started honking.......hahahahah......

HarperHollow'sGhost

Equipment
L4760 (2020) 47hp HST, 3 rear remotes with Top-and-Tilt, LA1055 with 3rd functi
Jun 4, 2023
Middle Tennessee

2nd the nomination for Crutchfield! I've bought lots of discount stereo equipment in the past, but always ordered the head unit from Crutchfield despite being more expensive for one reason: they include a wiring harness that will adapt your specific vehicle plug pattern to the stereo unit you purchase from them. Yes you can find these online, but it can be a bit of guesswork trying to ensure it will fit on both ends. Also yes, you can bypass the plug entirely and splice the appropriate wires together directly, but that's tedious and you can't unplug and swap it out easily.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I have the same head units in both tractors in the form of a Kenwood KMM-X704. I always solder and heat shrink connections regardless of what the vehicle is.

kmm-x704.jpg

wiring.jpg