blue smoke & quits

yardboy

Equipment
Kubota L2800
Nov 29, 2021
Natchez Ms.
2007 kubota L2800 running fine, sputters, blue smoke, quits. Checked / cleaned fuel filter. Good fuel flow there. Engine turns over great but won't start. Done this 2ce before. after about 2wks it started & ran fine each time for months. Right now sitting on edge of ravine, front end loader & hood in the way of getting access to engine. Can't find a flow chart for fuel system. ???

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Some would consider it blasphemous and it certainly is not a long term solution but given your circumstances would a squirt of ether/starting fluid be worth considering ? We hillbillies use it liberally here in Western Pennsylvania. I have yet to blow up an engine with it.

yardboy

Equipment
Kubota L2800
Nov 29, 2021
Natchez Ms.
Some would consider it blasphemous and it certainly is not a long term solution but given your circumstances would a squirt of ether/starting fluid be worth considering ? We hillbillies use it liberally here in Western Pennsylvania. I have yet to blow up an engine with it.
Tried that too, since compression is the thing that starts the system going I didn't expect it to work---& it didn't. Its, weird, let it sit a couple 'o weeks & it will start right up. Have used Lucus diesel treatment often to keep system clean. This has happened 2ce before. Never knew why.

yardboy

Equipment
Kubota L2800
Nov 29, 2021
Natchez Ms.
Thank you Mr. K for the welcome message. This tractor & my Ford excursion is my only experience with Diesels. Usually real dependable.

loggin

Equipment
MX4700
Sep 4, 2021
canada
Usually when you have blue smoke it is an indication that oil is being burnt. Have you checked oil level?? If the oil level is high then you might have fuel or hydraulic fluid leaking into the crankcase which can force oil into the intake via positive crankcase ventilation system, if so equipped. Just one consideration without having further information. Other possibilities of non start are usually fuel related.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Probably not your culprit, but the fuel shut-off should be checked. It's one of the bases you need to cover.

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Maybe crazy, but could it be that there is oil getting into the combustion chambers and overloading?
Then it won't start - tries to start - but the oil doesn't burn.
Then after it sits, the oil drains down and it starts again.

What if you removed one or 2 injectors - even all 3 , ran the starter and sort of "blew out the cylinders".
Maybe tried to swab the inside of a cylinder looking for oil?
I know you said the FEL is in the way - which makes it a pain.

Can you check if the injectors are truly getting fuel?
Can you see if oil is in the exhaust areas?

If it were only like 1 cylinder, I don't know if that would make starting impossible.
If it's all 3 cylinders, hmmmm see also @loggin reponse

Last edited:

yardboy

Equipment
Kubota L2800
Nov 29, 2021
Natchez Ms.
Maybe crazy, but could it be that there is oil getting into the combustion chambers and overloading?
Then it won't start - tries to start - but the oil doesn't burn.
Then after it sits, the oil drains down and it starts again.

What if you removed one or 2 injectors - even all 3 , ran the starter and sort of "blew out the cylinders".
Maybe tried to swab the inside of a cylinder looking for oil?
I know you said the FEL is in the way - which makes it a pain.

Can you check if the injectors are truly getting fuel?
Can you see if oil is in the exhaust areas?

If it were only like 1 cylinder, I don't know if that would make starting impossible.
If it's all 3 cylinders, hmmmm see also @loggin reponse
Thank you all for the responses. Dang thing just wanted a 3-wk nap. Put in the battery & tried to start it & all went great this morning. Only has 240 hours on it & its a 07 model 2800. 3rd time it's done this. Thank you all again.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Thank you all for the responses. Dang thing just wanted a 3-wk nap. Put in the battery & tried to start it & all went great this morning. Only has 240 hours on it & its a 07 model 2800. 3rd time it's done this. Thank you all again.
You still need to identify the issue, or it will happen again at the most inopportune time and place.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Exactly. Problems that cure themselves are not cured.

THOSE are the ones that I absolutely hate! As a tech, sometimes you don't really know what you did to remedy a customer complaint, and that bothers the poo out of me! Reason being, almost always, they're gonna come back, or at the very least result in a customer that is less than satisfied.

yardboy

Equipment
Kubota L2800
Nov 29, 2021
Natchez Ms.
This is yardboy--know all to well about things starting back to wk. again. Spent 40 yrs. fixing all sorts of appliances-lawnmowers, refrigerators, a/c systems, water treatment, rebuilt manual & auto trans. ,engines, rebuilt/modernized, customized cars from the 30's to the 70,s. Stuff happens without knowing why. Drives me crazy. Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I hope the front loader assem. is off the next time so I can reach the engine !