Blowing a 5 amp "key stop" fuse

kub3700

Equipment
2012 MX5100 HST
Sep 30, 2010
United States
Hey guys, I was out hogging the other day. I was cutting an area that I needed to cross over a ditch, when I did I sunk down a little and was stuck for a couple of minutes, after working the FEL and getting out I started mowing for about 2 minutes and then the tractor just died out. When I went to crank it I didnt hear the usual relay "click" when you turn the key. So I checked the key stop fuse and what do you know it was blown. I put a spare in it and was mowing again till about 15 minutes later, the tractor died. So having no more spares I pulled the 5 amp out of the headlights and used that, this time mowing for about another 20-30 minutes. Just as I went to pull her up on the trailer she went out again. Having no more 5 amps I had to pull a 10 amp and use that......I know I shouldnt use a 10 in a 5amp slot but, it was just to put her on the trailer. Luckily the good news is this happened on Thursday and my 2 yr warranty went out this Sunday, so it should be covered. The bad news is the dealer can't replicate the problem. They said they mowed with it and let it run for over an hour and it never blew!! Obviously there is something going on if I blew 3 fuses within an hour. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I'm thinking that when you got stuck, you ended up getting some moisture somewhere where it shouldn't be. Possibly in one of your pin connectors. Problem could have fixed itself once it got a chance to dry out

kub3700

Equipment
2012 MX5100 HST
Sep 30, 2010
United States
Daren thats what I originally thought but would the tractor run for a good 20 min before blowing the fuse? If there was moisture it would have blown the fuse as soon as I put it in right?

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Could be lots of possible out of normals.

It went an hour without blowing. I would visually inspect the wires along the circuit. Could be a rubbed wire. Could be a pulled wire. You may have to wipe off the dried mud to see what is there.

Meantime, I would carry a pack of fuses.

Could take some time to resolve.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
This is another good case for a circuit breaker, They fit right where the fuse fits and they are self resetting, it will give you a better idea when or what is happening.
I could be you have a bad stop solenoid and it's got to be just right for it to quit working, short out, get hot and blow the fuse.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
i had the same problem. The fuse would blow when in a left hand turn. It was a wire grounding out when the tractor flexed in that direction. My son is beyond excellent with electrical matters. Without him, I would have traded it in.

bherpin

Equipment
L4330
Aug 28, 2015
Leonville, Louisiana
Did you ever figure this out? My tractor started doing the exact same thing a couple days ago and I have gone through a pack of fuses since then. I can't see any noticeable wires rubbing or anything and I'm hoping it's just a simple fix so I don't have to bring it to the dealership..

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
I'd check the wires, I betcha gots some insulation off, or rubbed a little on a critical point, so that sometimes it shorts to ground...:D

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I have seen shorting wires,where a couple are pinched together and after close inspection there is like a sliver of copper showing through the wires. Almost undetectable. A short strip of tape and its cured.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
My B7100 has started blowing the fuse for the hour meter/headlights. I need to start tracing things down.

Burt

Equipment
L3700SU, box blade, 6 foot rhino blade, 1 bottom plow, 3 point receiver hitch.
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA
Hey guys, I was out hogging the other day. I was cutting an area that I needed to cross over a ditch, when I did I sunk down a little and was stuck for a couple of minutes, after working the FEL and getting out I started mowing for about 2 minutes and then the tractor just died out. When I went to crank it I didnt hear the usual relay "click" when you turn the key. So I checked the key stop fuse and what do you know it was blown. I put a spare in it and was mowing again till about 15 minutes later, the tractor died. So having no more spares I pulled the 5 amp out of the headlights and used that, this time mowing for about another 20-30 minutes. Just as I went to pull her up on the trailer she went out again. Having no more 5 amps I had to pull a 10 amp and use that......I know I shouldnt use a 10 in a 5amp slot but, it was just to put her on the trailer. Luckily the good news is this happened on Thursday and my 2 yr warranty went out this Sunday, so it should be covered. The bad news is the dealer can't replicate the problem. They said they mowed with it and let it run for over an hour and it never blew!! Obviously there is something going on if I blew 3 fuses within an hour. Does anyone have any thoughts?
Kub,

I'll toss my quarter in with the shorted out wire somewhere.

Burt