Blew BX2370 bucket cylinder

BotaLoda

Equipment
BX2370, Loader w/tooth bar, MMM, sub soiler, 5' rake, rear ballast box, forks.
Feb 28, 2017
Cosby, TN
It's the *curl* cylinder. My dealer was going to do me a favor and I just bring in my cylinder and he would fix it under warranty (a seal kit), but I think I only have 12 months which has passed.

Here's the deal. Leveling some ground with the bucket all the way down, the bottom actually toward the rear, with teeth on, backing up I hit something that didn't move. Normally the bucket jumps over it. This time it made one heck of a bang. It moves up OK but leaks down. I removed it and there are metal bits rattling inside it, one small piece actually came out of the port. Shouldn't there be a pressure relief valve to prevent this from happening? If so I'm guessing it's stuck or not adjusted right.

Would this be under the 24 month tractor warranty because the relief valve in on the tractor? And since it's part of the tractor and not the loader, will it cover the cylinder also? Its had to be this way from new because in the same situation, it has never moved the bucket as if a pressure relief valve did its job.

I'm asking because the service manager was going to check if he could take a new cylinder off a tractor on the lot and swap it with mine, but he never called back before closing and it's bugging the heck out of me. With all the metal I can hear inside the cylinder, I'm shocked it still worked at all!

Thanks,
Tony

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Your dealer is being overly nice to even consider it under warranty.
None of what failed should be under warranty because, It says right in the manual not to do what you did.
You CAN NOT roll the bucket back and back drag.
There is no pressure relief issue or valve issue involved, the pressure relive does not work like that.
You simply did something that mechanically put way too much force on the cylinder and you broke the piston.

BotaLoda

Equipment
Feb 28, 2017
Cosby, TN
Your dealer is being overly nice to even consider it under warranty.
None of what failed should be under warranty because, It says right in the manual not to do what you did.
You CAN NOT roll the bucket back and back drag.
There is no pressure relief issue or valve issue involved, the pressure relive does not work like that.
You simply did something that mechanically put way too much force on the cylinder and you broke the piston.
I just re-read the loader manual and can't find a single thing saying not to do what I did.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
This right here is absolutely what you are NOT suppose to do, "Here's the deal. Leveling some ground with the bucket all the way down, the bottom actually toward the rear, with teeth on, backing up I hit something that didn't move. Normally the bucket jumps over it. This time it made one heck of a bang. It moves up OK but leaks down. I removed it and there are metal bits rattling inside it, one small piece actually came out of the port. Shouldn't there be a pressure relief valve to prevent this from happening? If so I'm guessing it's stuck or not adjusted right."

Read up (or watch some Utube) on proper loader usage.

BotaLoda

Equipment
Feb 28, 2017
Cosby, TN
Read up (or watch some Utube) on proper loader usage.
I read the manual. I saw a lot of warnings about other things but nothing about not doing what I was doing. I didn't see anything in the manual about watching Utube, or youtube.

I just got home from the dealer. They gave me a slightly used cylinder and a gallon of fluid. :D I'll take it easy from now on.

Mainah

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501HST, BLMX3164 blower, BB1266 box blade, BX42S chipper, Titan forks
Feb 26, 2018
Standish, Maine
You’ve been given some great advice! And I’d hang onto that dealer!

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Once you release the FEL valve, you have locked in the hydraulic fluid.

The relief valve(s) are to protect you when trying to lift something too heavy. If you have a float position on your FEL, then it might have jumped over the obstacle but you are engaging in practices that are high risk.

Pushing with your bucket tilted forward can impose forces on it that will break things as well.

It is a tractor with a FEL not a commercial backhoe!

Dave

BotaLoda

Equipment
Feb 28, 2017
Cosby, TN
OK, OK I get it! I won't do it again. I do consider myself very lucky to get another cylinder and a gallon of fluid.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
OK, OK I get it! I won't do it again. I do consider myself very lucky to get another cylinder and a gallon of fluid.
Hey we've all made mistakes and we learn from those mistakes...Sometimes it just takes a punch in the gut to get there! :D

One thing to note: If you notice any odd movement in the roll circuit you could have pushed a chuck of metal back to the valve or better, the quick disconnect at the valve. ;)

BotaLoda

Equipment
Feb 28, 2017
Cosby, TN
Hey we've all made mistakes and we learn from those mistakes...Sometimes it just takes a punch in the gut to get there! :D

One thing to note: If you notice any odd movement in the roll circuit you could have pushed a chuck of metal back to the valve or better, the quick disconnect at the valve. ;)
Yes, I thought about that. I was thinking of running it and moving the valve both ways to clear the hose and tubing (into a 5 gallon bucket).

BotaLoda

Equipment
Feb 28, 2017
Cosby, TN
I just realized I started this in the wrong section, sorry. But I guess I'll stay here instead of starting a new thread.
I installed the different used cylinder and it still leaks down really easy and fast. Less than a minute from up to down.

To purge it I followed advice I found elsewhere since I think this site was down yesterday. That was to give it full throttle and work it back and forth. That took all the play out of it when it was down all the way. But when it leaked down again, it seems to suck air in and it flops back and forth about ten inches. I tried this over and over and it kept doing the same thing.

I lifted the boom all the way and curled the bucket all the way so it had very little weight/leverage to leak down. I then pulled both quick connects for the bucket and pulled on it. It still came down, so it seems to be the cylinder and not any of the pieces stuck in the valve since there was no fluid leaking. Oh, before installing the cylinder I did purge both lines into a bucket, which checking later did contain a small amount of metal that stuck to a magnet.

So is there anything I missed or did I get a bad used cylinder?

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I just realized I started this in the wrong section, sorry. But I guess I'll stay here instead of starting a new thread.
I installed the different used cylinder and it still leaks down really easy and fast. Less than a minute from up to down.

To purge it I followed advice I found elsewhere since I think this site was down yesterday. That was to give it full throttle and work it back and forth. That took all the play out of it when it was down all the way. But when it leaked down again, it seems to suck air in and it flops back and forth about ten inches. I tried this over and over and it kept doing the same thing.

I lifted the boom all the way and curled the bucket all the way so it had very little weight/leverage to leak down. I then pulled both quick connects for the bucket and pulled on it. It still came down, so it seems to be the cylinder and not any of the pieces stuck in the valve since there was no fluid leaking. Oh, before installing the cylinder I did purge both lines into a bucket, which checking later did contain a small amount of metal that stuck to a magnet.

PM me and with your email and I will send you a pdf file with a simple method to test the cylinder itself which I found on line.

Dave

TxBigRed

Dec 17, 2017
US
Wait a minute...I back drag in float mode on my 3240 down the center of my driveway after grading the gravel to the center. Am I not supposed to do this? Don't want to mess up my tractor, but I thought this was common practice.

Dave

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I then pulled both quick connects for the bucket and pulled on it. It still came down, so it seems to be the cylinder and not any of the pieces stuck in the valve since there was no fluid leaking.
Lower the boom and the bucket, then swap the lift hoses for the roll hoses and see if the problem still exists, if it does then yes the cylinder is bad.

TxBigRed

Dec 17, 2017
US
Backing in float mode with an almost flat bucket no problem.

How do you get the gravel to the middle of your driveway?

Dave
Either a rear blade or a landscape rake it just depends on what I want to do.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk