Black Maxx aircompressor

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Guy I have this air compressor its a coleman black maxx and last night useing the impact wrench it was happly running along building up pressure and then it changed sounds,, yeah I know,, but suddenly the sound was different and it will only pump up to like 50psi and will go no farther,, Is not leaking off anyplace that I can find, hear or see soap bubbles. it would run up to 155psi before it kicked off now it just runs,, any ideas ???

Blkvoodoo

Equipment
B2400, LA352, RC60, Cammond Box Blade
Mar 27, 2010
Zebulon NC
A picture of the pump would be helpful.

There are several models of compressors in the Black Max line, Sanborn was the original manufacturer, and they sold out to Coleman.

If it is a twin cyl pump, likely it blew a headgasket, maybe a reed valve in the head.

They are easy enough to work on, just kill the power ( disconnect from source ) and drain the tank before you start tearing into it.

If there is a power tool repair shop local to you ( Lowe's and Home Depot will have the name(s)) they will likely to be able to provide parts break downs and order needed parts.

I used to repair all sorts of home owner grade compressors, it's really not that hard at all if you are patient and use common sense.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
No I dont have a pic since the tweekers broke in and cleaned us out a camera was one thing not replaced,, Anyway after reading your post I went DUHHHHHH,, so I pulled the head off and fliped the reeds over,,just to see if it would work,, it did,, so now I will find out where i can get new one and put it in.. I do wish you would have mentioned about them damn little allen screws in the plastic cover,,,lol,, thanks much

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
I have one of those original Sanborn units so I guess mine is pretty old. It is a 3hp motor but the regulator that is on it will only let me get about 118 max psi. It keeps me going ok so I don't have an urgency to change right now.

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
The compression line coming from the compressor head to the tank broke on mine. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Talk about a big leak. I was able to remove it, make a clean cut above the break and recrimp it back in the fitting.

So far so good. ;)