Biodiesel in Modern Tractors

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
Does anyone have experience with running biodiesel in a L01 series? I know it isn't recommended with new trucks or engines that require DEF.

However, I'm curious where a modern L series (L2501 without emissions specifically) falls between the older diesels that would run on used motor oil (honestly I wouldn't be surprised if someone told me they would run on a 50/50 slurry of coal and kerosene) and modern trucks that need the specific properties of the petroleum based diesel.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Using it in BX2370 & B2650, fuel needs a biocide additive (algae killer) and an anti-gel additive in cold weather/climates.

The problem truckers had is the biodiesel molecules are larger than diesel molecules. Over time the fuel filters plugged up starving engines of fuel. Truckers had to get filters that would let the larger molecules pass thru them.

Truck stop additives are for hundreds of gallons. Doing the math for a 5-10 gal tank kinda sucks. A 50 gal or more storage = less head scratching.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
What %biodiesel are you wanting to try? Most engines have a % recommended like 20% etc. I don’t know if the manual says, but I’ve seen stickers on diesel pumps that say may contain x% of biodiesel. So, you might have already tried it. :D

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
What %biodiesel are you wanting to try? Most engines have a % recommended like 20% etc. I don’t know if the manual says, but I’ve seen stickers on diesel pumps that say may contain x% of biodiesel. So, you might have already tried it. :D
I don't know what I would be looking to try yet. I am trying to do a little research first before jumping in depth on it. I don't recall seeing anything about it in the manual but that doesn't mean that it isn't there and I missed it. Wouldn't be the first time reading got the better of me.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Just gotta ask what is the benefit of going out of your way to get whatever fuel you are talking about. Like jim said most(all?) diesel can have up to 20% in it already.

Me Im simple, 2 miles south I can get off road fuel, but the station doesn’t sell beer. 7 miles north they only have highway fuel, but they got beer. Depends on the situation in the fridge as to which fuel I get 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
Well more so I would be looking into making it depending on cost of raw materials. However, before I go too far into the weeds I want to more so see what the negatives are running it on something newer.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
There is a page in your owners manual, the B states NO MORE than 20% biofuel. Now there may additives you can add for lubrication of parts and so on. And as much as we all want to save a buck ,and flip off the man, MHO is what you save in fuel costs will come back in repairs

Reactions: 1 user

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
If the engine has mechanical injection and fuel pumps, Biodiesel works fine. In Biodiesel, you are referring to corn oil conversion, AKA Fryer oil conversion, correct? Thats where you take used fryer oil, add lye and a few other components, let it stew for a while, heat it up, extract the glycerine, add some other items and good to go. On my old B2410, it will run forever on that stuff, in fact when diesel was $5 a gallon I ran it on filtered WMO from my truck and cars. It ran a little hotter, but had plenty of power. Only downside is it turned the filter bowl black.

I have a twin filter setup that filters down to .5 micron and a pump to force the WMO through it so all that comes out is clean used oil. It even removed most of the carbon that turns the oil black. Only downside is the filters needed replacement after 20 gallons and eventually I gave up because filter cost was no different than 20 gallons of diesel from the pump after fuel costs came down.

Would I run it on the newer electronic engines? Nope. Any engine requiring the low sulpher fuel would not run well with WMO, too heavy and the injectors are a lot tighter in tolerances than the mechanical ones.

If you use Bio diesel you make yourself, blend in some Hotshots Friend at double the rate stated. Instead of 1 ounce per 25 gallons, mix in 2 ounces. That stuff is very good at preventing gelling and has the best lubricity per volume of them all. If you can find it! It is non existent in my local stores recently and I ran out of it for my F350.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I have had to replace a few engines due to biodiesel. I don't trust it for those reasons. Similar to E85, it is inconsistent.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If the engine has mechanical injection and fuel pumps, Biodiesel works fine. In Biodiesel, you are referring to corn oil conversion, AKA Fryer oil conversion, correct? Thats where you take used fryer oil, add lye and a few other components, let it stew for a while, heat it up, extract the glycerine, add some other items and good to go. On my old B2410, it will run forever on that stuff, in fact when diesel was $5 a gallon I ran it on filtered WMO from my truck and cars. It ran a little hotter, but had plenty of power. Only downside is it turned the filter bowl black.

I have a twin filter setup that filters down to .5 micron and a pump to force the WMO through it so all that comes out is clean used oil. It even removed most of the carbon that turns the oil black. Only downside is the filters needed replacement after 20 gallons and eventually I gave up because filter cost was no different than 20 gallons of diesel from the pump after fuel costs came down.

Would I run it on the newer electronic engines? Nope. Any engine requiring the low sulpher fuel would not run well with WMO, too heavy and the injectors are a lot tighter in tolerances than the mechanical ones.

If you use Bio diesel you make yourself, blend in some Hotshots Friend at double the rate stated. Instead of 1 ounce per 25 gallons, mix in 2 ounces. That stuff is very good at preventing gelling and has the best lubricity per volume of them all. If you can find it! It is non existent in my local stores recently and I ran out of it for my F350.

ACDII

Equipment
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Thats about the only place I can find it today. Used to be able to get it at Farm and Fleet and Menards and neither have it in stock anymore.

My F350 has a 50 gallon tank, and the only stuff in stock treats 100 gallons, so half a quart bottle every fill instead of 2 ounces every fill, so basically it costs 3-4 times as much as the Hotshots, and not as good.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I was reading I think in the B users manual,, and dont take this for fact with out researching it your self. I thought I read 10% bio mixed with regular diesel no more.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I was reading I think in the B users manual,, and dont take this for fact with out researching it your self. I thought I read 10% bio mixed with regular diesel no more.
Did a search in the B users manual and "bio" is not found. It says "No. 2-D SI5 diesel fuel" and I don't know how much bio can be in that standard.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
I don't suppose you have any more (reliable) info on that process?

I find that rather ironic. Biodiesel was supposed to be the future, but the modern engines can't handle it. Go figure.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
My 2006 Ford Powerstroke made for ultra low sulfur diesel did just fine on 20% Biodiesel. It lost MPG, but ran fine otherwise. I think the issue is the corrosive nature of biodiesel can cause unintended consequences.

Many pumps say may contain biodiesel, so if you don’t want to use it, be sure to read the pump. It’s like running non ethanol Premium fuel. You can find it, but you have to look for it.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Here in Washington State the pumps do not have to be marked if the biodiesel is 20% or less. The only way to be sure that you are not getting biodiesel in Washington State is to ask the station manager if he is adding biosh!t to his diesel order. Some counties here (King Co is one of them) require at least 20% biosh!t added to their diesel. I get all of my fuel from a nearby Indian Reservation because they do not add biosh!t to their diesel and they also sell non-ethanol gasoline.

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA

I find that rather ironic. Biodiesel was supposed to be the future, but the modern engines can't handle it. Go figure.
The basics is you filter a cooking oil (veggie, peanut, corn, etc), heat it up to 130°F, mix in a solution of methanol mixed with KOH (don't know the exact ratios but that can be found on the internets), and then shake the heck out of it (think like paint mixer at Home Depot kind of shaking not spray paint can level of shaking) until the solution takes on an orange color. The KOH acts as a catalyst and binds with the glycerols creating biodiesel and glycerol. Then you let it settle, separate out the glycerol from the bottom and you'll have glycerol and boidiesel with some emulsified glycerol.

There are a bunch of ways to remove the suspended glycerol but the simplest way is to mist it with water remove the resettled stuff and then mist the biodiesel/water mixture until it is clear and has a greenish tint.

Generally if you don't count your hours you can make biodiesel cheaper than buying diesel at the pump and in most cases it is also cheaper than red diesel too. Biggest concern what impact it would have on an engine made in the last 5 years, which I do not have the answer for. It builds up on emissions equipment faster than pump diesel but an L2501 doesn't have these so I just don't know if it has needed lubricity to keep the engine happy and don't feel like taking a 6k risk to save a buck a gallon on fuel. My manual doesn't say anything about restrictions on biodiesel use (that I can find) so I asked here.

ACDII

Equipment
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
^^ What he said. Years ago, when diesel first surpassed the cost of gas, I looked into it, but the process and equipment and sourcing of used fryer oil was beyond my means to save a few bucks.

I forgot about the methanol needed, one of the items I have a hard time finding in bulk around here, and expensive to boot. Methanol mixed with Sodium Hydroxide, AK Lye, and some equipment to purify it and good to go.

I was referring to waste motor oil in a modern engine, not biodiesel. With proper lubricity biodiesel is fine in today's engines, as long as it it properly refined since water will kill a diesel engine today to the tune of $10,000 or more.

Springer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680 LA344S EA 55" Grapple, Stump Bucket 48 Box grader, Disc Harrow
Jul 21, 2021
Tiger, GA
Two years ago, we were exporting fuel. Pure Off road is all I buy and I stabilize it.