Big Tex trailer equalizer 14 GN

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I have a Big Tex 14 GN with a set of underslung springs. The springs are all eye on one end and a slip on the other. I never noticed before that the equalizer does not set level when the trailer is empty. The weight of the trailer is forcing the rear of the equalizer to touch the bottom of the frame. It does not look correct to me and I was hoping someone else with the same trailer could tell me if their equalizer sets level when empty. I have another 14,000 pound trailer and the springs are eye and slip on the other and the equalizer is setting level.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I see it all the time on all brands.

You have to level the frame, fore and aft, before passing any judgement. This assumes the tire sizes are the same front & rear.

You wouldn't believe how quickly manufacturers throw a trailer together; and it shows in the workmanship. The little things like welding a washer to the inside of the c-channel and then wrapping the wiring around the washer for a "stay". Run across sharp edges, poor grounding, the list goes on for days. Because of this stuff I trust nary a single trailer until I go through it, meaning re-routing wiring, fixing grounds, checking the axles for bend and toe and checking axle mounts for squareness. Half of them aren't square and the other half have bent axles. Never seen a perfect one and that goes for all of the brands I've dealt with including big tex; and I like big tex. My pace isn't even square, had to remove & rebuild the axle mounts (torsion) then repair all of the wiring inside the walls but I also bought it used with unknown history.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I completely tore my tractor hauler suspension apart and replaced ALL the bushings... 'magically' it got fixed !

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Another good reason for torsion axles. My other trailer has them, love them! No parts to wear out as long as they're installed correctly. Rides niiiiiice too.

We have two trailers at work; one's an old goose 24' and the other is a 20' flat bed 20'. The goose is about 25 years old. Flat bed is a year or so old. Both used daily, goose gets more weight on it. It's still got the original torsion axles under it; nary a problem, ever (other that worn tires every 50,000 or so miles). The other a straight axle, leaf spring with equalizers, shackle mount (no slips). Goes through a set of tires once a year if we stretch it out, which is roughly 28,000-30,000 miles. Have to replace all the bushings once a year and have had to replace the wheel bearings already. I would say junk, but it's not a bad trailer-just no torsion spring option for that size and money. They're both 14,000 GVWR.

Now here's a good example of what I was talking about earlier. My personal boat trailer. Granted, just a little 15' flat bottom. It's a 2x3 tubing trailer which I like, hides all the wires inside the tubing. Well, when I got it the lights didnt work and the fuse in the truck kept popping. Did some testing to find a short, so I did some investigating. What I found was shocking. Whoever built the trailer (well known manufacturer) ran the wires through the tubing, then welded the tubing. Guess what happens? Secondly, rather than drill a hole at the back of each side of the frame to get the wires through it, they blowed a hole in the bottom of the tubing with what appears to be a torch, and a piss poor job of cutting I must add (boogers everywhere), so the wires chafe against the sharp boogers. I had to grind them out, make up some grommets to fit, run all new harness and put LED's on it (for what it cost, it should have already had them). I called the manufacturer who says "1 year warranty" but the warranty doesn't state what it does or does not cover, thus I was out about $50 in lights and wiring plus my personal time. No big deal but it kind of set the stage for my scrutinizing all trailers including my own. Half of them you see running down the road don't have lights, then 1/4 of those that DO have lights, they don't work, then a quarter of the ones that do work, only part of them work, boards falling off, tractors sitting down between broken floor boards, ramps falling out, or in our case at work people don't even bring ramps to unload, they just drive them off. Had a guy run one off the back and knock a nice crack in his propeller shaft housing (L3200), leak. I think a trailer is an extension of the owner/user and also an extension of the vehicle, but unfortunately not everyone thinks the same way.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
All the trailers I make(2-3 /yr--30 yrs) , I use 1/2 plastic electrical conduit for the wiring runs, one down each side as I use 'A' couplers and 2" sq tubing for tongue.Conduit runs inside the tubing, then screwed onto frame rails. Wiring is never a problem. I also connect INSIDE the light housing NOT maretted outside.

Yes, it is SCARY to take a tape measure to a trailer and check for 'square' and 'trueness' !!

BigG

Equipment
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Thanks to all.

I bought the Big Tex to replace a Moritz that was no longer usable to me after it was rearended 2 times. With the shear number of Big Tex I see on the road I figured they were a good trailer. Also the Moritz are not sold in Florida. Boy was I wrong. Comparing the two is night and day different.

The things that are wrong with the Big Tex would fill a book. Poor paint, welds breaking, wired poorly, Mega ramps cracking, the large amount of flex in the bed, the LED lights that are not LED, etc etc ..... my biggest *itch is the tires and the rims were underrated for the trailer and I requested 14 ply tires and got them but they were still not strong enough for the trailer that I had de-ratted to 14,500 pounds even after accounting for the weight transfer to the tongue. After 200,000 miles it is rolling junk. The Moritz had over 400,000 miles and was still usable even after being hit twice.

You can not find replacement parts for the Mega ramps i,e, springs. They were not as of about a year ago available from the factory.

This all came about as I hit a pot hole and bent the back axle, broke 2 u-bolts and bent a third. A replacement axle was over a month away or I could spend $1200 to have one sent from Texas. No dealer in Fl had one. I called them all. After Christmas I can get one for $510.

This is what brought me to question the equalizers.

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Mass produced by the thousands. Catchy name. Catchy colors, big letters so you can't miss it. I've been to HQ, they turn them out so quick that it'd make your head spin. Nice operation but R&D and QC isn't one of their high points. Similar to a lot of mass produced items, marketing takes precedence. Mass Marketing.

The smaller no-name companies are the ones I generally look at; many mass-market trailer I've seen has issues. A few don't but most of them do. The good ones are high $$$$$ and most of that stuff is high end horse trailers, race car haulers, etc.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
I make 2-3 trailers a year for past 30 years...buy my parts on sale and wonder how DEEP a discount the 'big names' get. I like to see their designs and 'options' though, usually add 1 or 2 into my trailers.

BigG

Equipment
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I make 2-3 trailers a year for past 30 years...buy my parts on sale and wonder how DEEP a discount the 'big names' get. I like to see their designs and 'options' though, usually add 1 or 2 into my trailers.
Take a look at the Moritz if you make a gooseneck. The angle built into the hitch not only makes them look good but I believe makes a much stronger more ridged trailer.

https://www.moritzinternational.com/trailers/flatbed-trailers/

I also like the looks of Red Rhino trailers, The Beast. I tried to get them to build me a 14,500 version. They would not do it. I thought the shape of the hitch would increase my mileage. I average about 70,000 miles a year with the trailer behind me.

http://redrhinotrailers.com/red-rhino-beast-flatbed-trailer.html

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
It could ( probably ) be a testing and certification issue, why they won't build a 14K5 trailer. What they currently build are the ones they CAN sell. It'd be hard to justify the time and money to design/build/test/certify a 'one-off' or very low volume trailer.
As a design/builder of custom electronics I do a lot of 'Proof of Concept' and 'prototype' units but I don't need the certified or worry about 14K loads !