BH77 - what's it worth

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5400, BH92, RTV900, ZD326
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
I looked around for a rules thread but couldn't find anything specific so I'm not 100% certain we're allowed to post "what's it worth" threads. If not allowed, I'll delete.

My L3901 was recently lost in a fire. I have a BH77 that was not on the tractor at the time. I am upgrading to an MX5400 with the BH92 so I no longer need the BH77 and I intend to sell it on the private market.

I bought it in August 2016 and I estimate the BH77 has roughly 50 hours on it. It could be 10 or so higher or lower than that, but it's so low either way that it doesn't really matter.

The BH still looks new. Only used on my property for basic chores. It has the mechanical thumb. I just bought a Bxpanded QA coupler and 6" trenching bucket and they've never been installed (they arrived a few days before the fire). I'll likely sell these separate unless I find a buyer for everything before the QA coupler and trench bucket sell. I did send an email to Bxpanded asking about their return policy but they have not responded.

The BH subframe was damaged in the fire and I will be buying a new subframe (plus any other BH parts that were on the tractor, if any - hydraulics?), though I plan to wait until I have a buyer for the BH77 and then I'll buy a subframe that fits the buyer's tractor so I'm not limiting myself to L3901 owners only.

Having said all that, I'm curious what you folks think the like-new BH77 is worth? I've seen one or two for sale but not many hit the market as a standalone unit. Most seem to sell with a tractor as a package.

IMG_6679.JPG

IMG_9549.JPG

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
I'm compiling a list of tractors compatible with the BH77.

So far I have: B2650, B3350, L2501, L3301, L3901, L3200, L3800, L3560, LX2610, LX3310

If you know of any others, please reply and I'll look into it.

NWAZL3560

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, LA805 loader, BH77 backhoe, rock bucket, box blade, pallet forks
Jun 11, 2018
Mesquite, NV
Not sure what it would be worth but good luck with the sale. I have one on my L3560 and it's awesome.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I added the BH77 to my tractor about 2 years ago. The backhoe itself was around $7k, then it was another $1500 for subframe kit and 16” bucket. Can’t tell you what its worth but maybe that can help. And if it were me I would let the buyer source their own subframe after the sale. With the number of different subframes for the different models that hoe fits, let them deal with the dealer to get the correct one.

Reactions: 2 users

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I love "what's it worth" questions. There are so many variables involved. How much is a new one? How available are other used ones? What is the condition of this particular unit? How motivated is the seller? The buyer?

Let's say a new one goes for $10k, with the bucket and thumb, and taxes in. Apply the 1/2 price rule of thumb for used ($5k). Add some because this one is in above average, low hours condition with nice paint, and no leaks -- say $1500. Now deduct some because it can't be demonstrated. Maybe $500? Now you are at $6k.

Now for the hard question: How motivated are you? Can you afford the carrying cost and storage space to hang on to this until you find the right buyer? Nudge your bottom line up. No? Then price it to sell. You are the only one who can say how urgently you want to sell and how much of a hit you are willing to take.

Add some negotiating room, people like to feel like they got a deal. But remember when comparing your asking price to other advertised prices -- those probably included some negotiating room too. Just because someone else listed one for, say, $7k does not mean that is what they expect to actually get.

As for the subframe, I'm with Fordtech86. Let the buyer worry about that. Odds are it will have to be ordered and will take weeks to arrive. Don't chance the buyer backing out and leaving you on the hook with a subframe you don't need. Depending on how damaged yours is, offer to throw it in for free.

Reactions: 3 users

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I saw one on craigs up here a month or so ago with the subframe for a 2501. He was asking 5K and it was gone in a couple weeks (I figure he sold it).

bx tractorjoe

Equipment
kubota l2501 upgraded from a bx23s john deere 670 husquarvana huv 4421 gxp
Jun 3, 2020
loxahatchee flordia
Have you asked your dealer what they would give you for it twords the New tractor? I'm betting it's worth more then they offer

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
I added the BH77 to my tractor about 2 years ago. The backhoe itself was around $7k, then it was another $1500 for subframe kit and 16” bucket. Can’t tell you what its worth but maybe that can help. And if it were me I would let the buyer source their own subframe after the sale. With the number of different subframes for the different models that hoe fits, let them deal with the dealer to get the correct one.
I guess I could reduce the price of the BH and sell it without the subframe. Save some headache for myself for sure. I just figured the sale would be more appealing if it's complete.

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
I love "what's it worth" questions. There are so many variables involved. How much is a new one? How available are other used ones? What is the condition of this particular unit? How motivated is the seller? The buyer?

Let's say a new one goes for $10k, with the bucket and thumb, and taxes in. Apply the 1/2 price rule of thumb for used ($5k). Add some because this one is in above average, low hours condition with nice paint, and no leaks -- say $1500. Now deduct some because it can't be demonstrated. Maybe $500? Now you are at $6k.

Now for the hard question: How motivated are you? Can you afford the carrying cost and storage space to hang on to this until you find the right buyer? Nudge your bottom line up. No? Then price it to sell. You are the only one who can say how urgently you want to sell and how much of a hit you are willing to take.

Add some negotiating room, people like to feel like they got a deal. But remember when comparing your asking price to other advertised prices -- those probably included some negotiating room too. Just because someone else listed one for, say, $7k does not mean that is what they expect to actually get.

As for the subframe, I'm with Fordtech86. Let the buyer worry about that. Odds are it will have to be ordered and will take weeks to arrive. Don't chance the buyer backing out and leaving you on the hook with a subframe you don't need. Depending on how damaged yours is, offer to throw it in for free.
This is why I typically don't post 'what's it worth' threads and was hesitant to post this one. I'm well aware of the variables and I've got a ballpark price, but it can't hurt to ping a group of peers to see who might have targeted advice based on a recent purchase, recently seeing a few for sale, etc.

Reactions: 1 users

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
I saw one on craigs up here a month or so ago with the subframe for a 2501. He was asking 5K and it was gone in a couple weeks (I figure he sold it).
Without knowing the condition of that unit, I'd say that's a fair deal.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
This is why I typically don't post 'what's it worth' threads and was hesitant to post this one.
Sorry, I did not mean to sound critical of posting the question. Nothing wrong at all with asking it. It's probably a better guide to get real selling prices than simply researching on-line asking prices.

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
Have you asked your dealer what they would give you for it twords the New tractor? I'm betting it's worth more then they offer
You would win that bet. The dealership owner expressed interest but I'm not taking a several thousand dollar hit so he can buy it and turn a big profit. There's no real motive there for them to drop the price of the MX5400 a few thousand just to offset that loss with potential profit from another transaction. They would have to find a cash buyer for the BH77 since it's used.

My salesman did say he's reaching out to some customers with compatible tractors to see if they're interested but I would be surprised if a legitimate buyer arose from that.

I figure craigslist or a tractor forum is my best bet.

I'm in no huge rush to sell it, though I obviously would love to see it sell quickly. The only thing it's costing me is some square footage in my shop.

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
Sorry, I did not mean to sound critical of posting the question. Nothing wrong at all with asking it. It's probably a better guide to get real selling prices than simply researching on-line asking prices.
No offense taken. I've google'd til my fingers bleed and the listings for OEM Kubota backhoes are very few and far between. I've seen far more "I paid this much for a BH77" replies in forums like this one than I've seen online ads for backhoes.

Typically, finding comparable sales for whatever you're selling is fairly simple. In this case, not so much. That's the sole reason I posted the thread - there's just not much evidence to base my price on.

rAzkid

Equipment
BX2200D, LX3310, FEL, MMM, PF, rear mount snowblower
Nov 6, 2020
MA
I would have been interested in it if the distance wasn't so far. Good luck with the sale!

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Asked my dealer for a FMV on my 2017 tractor and implements for tax purposes and he quoted $5000 for the BH77, including subframe. Similar hours on the BH, +-50 hours.

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
I would put it on craigslist at $6000 and see if you get any bites on it. You say you`re not in a hurry, so maybe that might be the right thing to try, for now. At least it will tell you if there are any people are interested in it.

If you get some bites on it, this will give you some wiggle room, then settle on a price to sell it.

There is always somebody out there that wants and needs a backhoe.

Reactions: 1 user

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I paid $6,000 for a used BH77, 10" and 16" bucket and manual thumb in Dec 2017. This did not include the sub-frame or tractor side hoses. I found it listed on Craigslist.

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
I paid $6,000 for a used BH77, 10" and 16" bucket and manual thumb in Dec 2017. This did not include the sub-frame or tractor side hoses. I found it listed on Craigslist.
Thank you for the reply. This is very helpful. Do you mind if I ask what condition the BH was in? I assume very nice?

Where did you get the quick attach bucket connector?