BF400 loader broken part

claya1

Equipment
Kubota
Sep 24, 2021
sacramento
There are two bolts sheared off at the front of the loader, on the horizontal bar. What purpose do these bolts have? Is this for detaching the loader from the front of the tractor? Why is the lever spring loaded?

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes they are the front latches, they are spring loaded so they don't rattle.
Pull the broken bolts and replace.

claya1

Equipment
Kubota
Sep 24, 2021
sacramento
So, the 14mm bolts are secured to the large front rod with a 14mm nut welded to a flat bar then welded to the rod.

I have drilled through the bolt past the nut threads. The bolt still will not shear off. Is the flat bar also threaded?

I also drilled down the top of the broken bolt shank, and it looks like the bolt is partially threaded up to the top of the front rod.

Obviously drilling out hardened bolts is not easy, (upside down, laying on the ground) so it would be usefull to know how much farther I need to drill.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
On other loaders I've worked on, the front "rod" is really a hollow piece of pipe. Try squirting liquid wrench through the end hole liberally and let it soak a day or two, with more sprays. Then use a pipe wrench in what's left of the bolt, maybe weld a big nut on the broken off stud to have more grip. Torch heat on the bottom always helps.

claya1

Equipment
Kubota
Sep 24, 2021
sacramento
On other loaders I've worked on, the front "rod" is really a hollow piece of pipe. Try squirting liquid wrench through the end hole liberally and let it soak a day or two, with more sprays. Then use a pipe wrench in what's left of the bolt, maybe weld a big nut on the broken off stud to have more grip. Torch heat on the bottom always helps.
Pipe wrench/vice grips on the remnant was a big fail. The bolts are VERY stuck. Drilling them out, from the bottom is the only option left. I just do not know how deep the threads are engaged

claya1

Equipment
Kubota
Sep 24, 2021
sacramento
Pipe wrench/vice grips on the remnant was a big fail. The bolts are VERY stuck. Drilling them out, from the bottom is the only option left. I just do not know how deep the threads are engaged
Drill was offset enough at depth that there was too much wall thickness, to shear easily. Bigger hammer, banging from both ends was enough to break them free eventually. Problem finally solved.

Curious how much loader abuse was needed to shear the bolt heads off in the first place.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
They are L bolts with stops in the middle.
They probably had something hit them, and break them off.