Best way to repair SSQA crossbar

Cathy Liebchen

Equipment
KUBOTA L3901, MX5800, MULE PRO FX, MULE PRO FXT
Using the bucket, one side of the SSQA came loose and it got tweaked. Bucket would not reattach. Dealer bent it back. A week later, the end of the crossbar broke loose. Everything still attaches.

I have a neighbor with several welders (MIG, TIG and stick, I think he said), but he is not a tractor guy so he is looking to me for what it needs to fix it.

Butt weld it? Butt weld with a gusset? replace the tube?

Thanks for the help!

TCL

Attachments

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Re: SSQA BEST WAY TO REPAIR THIS crossbar

Just to clarify, that member is welded as it passes through 4 plates?

Is it a solid bar, or a tube?

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas

Conservative way would be to replace the tube.

The only disadvantage with a tube is that it is more easily damaged with a dent. If you want to increase the beef factor, then select a tube with a thicker wall but same outside diameter.

That end looks like a shear. Also because the tube has been honked on would lead me to replace the entire tube member.

Good luck, Cathy.

mvwood

Equipment
B21(sold) B26
Apr 7, 2011
Wallkill NY

I had exactly the same thing happen on my B26. I ended up grinding off the original welds and was able to tap out the remaining pieces of the old tube and then got a length of 3/4" black pipe. It has just about the same O.D. of the original pipe. I cut it to protrude about 1/2" past each arm and then welded it the same matter as the original. Primed it and rattle canned it with some Kubota orange and its as good as new. All in with the grinding and painting I have about 3hrs into it. One hint if you do it this way is take the bucket off to get better access to the inner welds but after you get it together put the bucket back on and set it on a flat/level surface before welding it. That way the mounting plates stay parallel to each other.

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon

Hard to say without really eyeballing it. Replacing the whole tube would certainly be a good solution. Depending on the condition of the damaged tube, another option might be filling the tube with a solid shaft. Drill the tube inboard of the attach bracket for decent sized spot welds then weld the outer end. Finish with a bead around the break.

I feel certain that a butt weld alone would not hold for any length of time.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

Hard to say without really eyeballing it. Replacing the whole tube would certainly be a good solution. Depending on the condition of the damaged tube, another option might be filling the tube with a solid shaft. Drill the tube inboard of the attach bracket for decent sized spot welds then weld the outer end. Finish with a bead around the break.

I feel certain that a butt weld alone would not hold for any length of time.
Good solution. I agree with the points you make. I'd say that's better then replacing with just new tubing.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina

I had same thing happen and no amount of coaxing, heating, pulling, pushing could would make it right.

I cut out tube, ground off the welds and inserted new pipe and welded. Little primer and paint good as new.

Attachments

Cathy Liebchen

Equipment
KUBOTA L3901, MX5800, MULE PRO FX, MULE PRO FXT

I had same thing happen and no amount of coaxing, heating, pulling, pushing could would make it right.

I cut out tube, ground off the welds and inserted new pipe and welded. Little primer and paint good as new.

this is exactly what I needed, thanks!