Best way to collect gravel?

TuckR

Equipment
L3302, BB1266 box blade, STB1072 Snoblade, SGC0660 grapple
Mar 6, 2023
Spokane
Hello all,

Novice operator here. I have to reroute about 100' of driveway, what's the best way to collect and reuse as much of the old gravel as possible? My first inclination is scoop up as much as possible with my FEL, but I've been finding there's easier ways to do things after I talk to folks with experience. I have a box blade as well.

Thanks folks.

anomad

Equipment
YM2310D
Jun 10, 2021
Western North Carolina
When I need to move gravel I scratch it up into a (sort of) pile with the box blade. Then carry it away with the front end loader bucket. Or if it is already loose enough just scoop it up.

Reactions: 2 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hello all,

Novice operator here. I have to reroute about 100' of driveway, what's the best way to collect and reuse as much of the old gravel as possible? My first inclination is scoop up as much as possible with my FEL, but I've been finding there's easier ways to do things after I talk to folks with experience. I have a box blade as well.

Thanks folks.
It really depends - if it is scattered in the ditch line - then getting it out is always a problem.

Typically the area where the tires are - they push the gravel out and in, creating a hump in the middle of the drive, so if you where to use a "root" or "rock" rake at an angle it will move the gravel from the outside to the inside then switch it and move the inside BACK to the outside thus leveling the road again.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Hello all,

Thanks folks.
Everything Attachments..... 6 Way Deluxe Scrape Blade.
I have maintained a gravel driveway for 50 plus years, and have had 5 different blades, including a box blade. My driveways were 1700' and 2200' respectively.

You should use your box blade for gathering the material.

The EA 6 Way Deluxe Scrape Blade is by far the best tool for the finish job!
With the EA blade you WILL be able to easily pull material out of the ditches, as well as create a decent crown on your rerouted section.

It took me 4 different blade styles, and a lotta years, to finally reach utopia in blades.
The EA 6 way blade ain't cheap, but you cain't get no better!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Hello all,

Thanks folks.
When you say reroute, are you relocating the drive to a different location, or trying to clean the edges and crown the center of existing driveway?

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
There's also the question of how old the driveway is, what kind of condition it's in, and what kind of soil he has.

It all matters.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
My first inclination is scoop up as much as possible with my FEL, but I've been finding there's easier ways to do things after I talk to folks with experience. I have a box blade as well.
If your existing gravel is full of organics i.e. grass, weed, roots trying to re-used the gravel will give you a poor quality soft driveway prone to pot holes.

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
As you can see from the responses you have received, there is no easy way to collect and reuse gravel from a driveway and how you do it and what tool is best for the job depends on the specific circumstances. Your idea of scooping it up with the FEL and using the box blade if the gravel is not loose enough to scoop seems like a good idea.

TuckR

Equipment
L3302, BB1266 box blade, STB1072 Snoblade, SGC0660 grapple
Mar 6, 2023
Spokane
Thanks all. The driveway is being completely relocated. The existing driveway is only about two years old, gravel is still pretty clean. I’m going to gather with the box blade and scoop with the FEL. Thanks!

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You can clean the gravel out some by simply sifting the dirt out of it. You could size it also at the same time if desired.

you may be able to find some mechanized trommel

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: you may be able to find some mechanized trommel

for a long driveway.....find a used potato digger,add a couple of screens

shorty ? make/buy/rent a 'stone bucket'..it's grabs the stones, sifts the dirt back to ground....