Best Time To Buy?

drumminj

Equipment
L4701, Mule 4010
Nov 4, 2021
TN
It also helps them move product, keep their employees working, etc. There's many reasons they'd be incentivized

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
This was in the news a while ago.

TOKYO -- Japanese machinery maker Kubota has issued $500 million in dollar-denominated bonds, its first since 1992, to meet its increasing capital needs in the U.S. as sales of its farm and construction equipment grow.

The three-year debt issued by Kubota Credit U.S.A. in late May, guaranteed by its Japanese parent, carries a 4.958% coupon and an A rating from S&P Global. Morgan Stanley was among the lead underwriters.

When Kubota sells equipment, Kubota Credit, its finance arm, extends financing to the buyer through the dealership. The dollar bonds provide another source of capital for these loans beyond securitization and borrowing from Japanese banks, diversifying its funding options in case of risks such as the yen weakening further against the dollar.

Last June, Kubota issued its first yen bonds in nine years with a 150 billion yen ($1.1 billion) offering, followed by a 120 billion yen float in April, partly as a way to brace for higher global interest rates by shifting to debt with longer maturities.

"Given the possibility of interest rates rising, we have to use longer-term [debt] to avoid that risk," said Masato Yoshikawa, an executive vice president at Kubota. The company will consider more dollar bond offerings in the future.

Higher financing costs linked to sales growth in the U.S. contributed to Kubota's group operating cash flow falling into the red for the first time in about 13 years in 2022. The company reported negative net free cash flow of 326.1 billion yen, owing partly to capital expenditures including acquisitions and a new research and development center.

"We want to get it out of negative territory soon" by improving the company's fund balance and recouping costs, Yoshikawa said.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
It also helps them move product, keep their employees working, etc. There's many reasons they'd be incentivized
NOBODY sells their product at 0% interest for 7 years (an overall loss), unless/until they have first inflated their pricing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
You are not accusing the Japanese of being sneaky are you?
Pretty much every company offers financing, with similar arrangements. If the Japanese are being sneaky, so are the Americans and the Italians etc.

I don't see things in quite as much black and white as some people on here do.

There's a financing cost, yes. But if you go to the Kubota website they're pretty explicit about the cash discount that you get as-of-right. On a $30K tractor it's around $1K I think. At 4% the finance cost over 60 months is $3,150 (i.e. the total payments are $33,150, or $552 a month). At 3% it's $2,344.

So there's $1,300-2,200 that needs to be filled in by Kubota.

My understanding is that these manufacturers also believe that the financing drives sales (or, to put it another way, without financing their sales drop and people go to someone who does offer financing). And that their underlying/embedded finance rate is quite a bit lower than the rate you'd be offered - because Kubota is happy with a Kubota tractor as security, where Joe's Finance doesn't necessarily see a Kubota tractor as good collateral.

In short, I don't think it's as simple as people make out. Yes, there's a cash discount available, but no, it's not the full cost of the finance that you can have back.

Reactions: 1 users

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
I have been searching for a good deal on a used L50 series for almost a year.

Over the last couple of years there has been a pretty strong run-up in prices for used tractors ( a side-effect of supply chain issues affecting availability of new tractors?). Nicely equipped used tractors have about doubled in average price over that time.

But, lately, just in the last few months, I'm starting to see some softness in the market. This seems particularly true in the southeastern states (Georgia, the Carolinas).

I guess you could see this as a symptom of economic recession, real or imagined. Due to the effect of high interest rates on the job market? Less 'fun money' in people's hands than there has been?

-Paul

Andy_E

Equipment
M4D-071
Aug 10, 2023
Crestview FL
I'm wondering if there's a rule-of-thumb to when Kubota offers the best deals?

Thanks for the help!
I think it goes by region. Like in the southern Georgia area with peanuts, Cantelope, and some of the other producers down there that lease equipment, catch them after they reap the crops.

i've always had very good luck with that. In regards to tractors.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Little side story.

Back in 1996, city-life, noise, disrespectful renters, taxes (and plenty more) and the city council finally convinced me it was time to leave the fish bowl. Since then, my reliance of others to aid in my needs revolved around their schedule and my wallet, empty.

Fast forward to today. I take ownership of my first ever tractor. Something I "should have" invested in right after we moved into our homestead.

Reactions: 1 user