Best stuff to fill B26 tires with

samwhoiam

Equipment
Kubota B26
Feb 14, 2023
NC
I've read about the choices that people can fill their tractor tires with for ballast. My son mentioned filling them with foam. That is a new one on me so I thought I would see what others thought or experienced with different things in their tires besides just air. He just bought an well used B26 so tires are not new. I read that putting foam in them is expensive. Any idea how expensive and is this a DYI project. What are the drawbacks? Can the tires ever be taken off the wheel if they needed to be?

Sam from NC

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Best stuff to fill B26 tires with??? AIR!
By far the cheapest!
A B26 with a BH really doesn't need ballasted tires.
That BH is a lot of weight.

Foam on rear tires in not a very good idea, takes all the cushion out of them.

You would need to buy new rims if you ever have an issue or want new tires and then the foam job is a complete loss.

It's also stupid expensive!
NO not a DYI project
You wouldn't foam old used tires, does not make good financial sense!

Windshield washer fluid is good, Rim guard is good, Calcium chloride is BAD.
There are some other good options out there.

Windshield washer fluid is an easy and safe DYI option.

Reactions: 1 users

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
I've read about the choices that people can fill their tractor tires with for ballast. My son mentioned filling them with foam.

Foam is not going to provide ballast. It is done to prevent flats. Not really a major issue for most people. If you live where there are a lot of long thorns.... maybe.

I saw a video where someone had DIY foam tires using the cans of insulation foam that you buy at the hardware store.

It did not end well.

I'm guessing the professional foam for tires is a different animal.

• Haha

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Foam is not going to provide ballast. It is done to prevent flats. Not really a major issue for most people. If you live where there are a lot of long thorns.... maybe.

I saw a video where someone had DIY foam tires using the cans of insulation foam that you buy at the hardware store.

It did not end well.

Professional foam tires are weighed, they are much heavier than any other ballast.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Have to ask WHY do you want or need the 'ballast' ?
WHAT you USE the tractor for, dictates IF it needs ballast.

As NIW says, if the tractor has a BH, NO need for ballast....
If you have a MMM, no need for ballast..

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia

It did not end well.

Oh man, I would love to have seen that!

samwhoiam

Equipment
Kubota B26
Feb 14, 2023
NC
Thanks for all your answers. I reckon he wants it more for possible flat problems since tires are older with a lot of miles. I sent all your thoughts to him. I'm thinking just air and forget the rest for my opinion now after reading all of yours. We are in the mountains so I thought maybe ballast might help in climbing muddy places. Need 4 wheel drive in cars to keep them from tearing up our steep road coming up so that is why I mentioned it. To me, the expense of having it done and then the problems of having to get new rims if ever needed, would make foam undesirable.
Sam

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I want to also suggest that you research a newer product labeled bio-ballast. The dealer installed that product in my tires. This product is non corrosive and non-toxic.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I've read about the choices that people can fill their tractor tires with for ballast. My son mentioned filling them with foam. That is a new one on me so I thought I would see what others thought or experienced with different things in their tires besides just air. He just bought an well used B26 so tires are not new. I read that putting foam in them is expensive. Any idea how expensive and is this a DYI project. What are the drawbacks? Can the tires ever be taken off the wheel if they needed to be?

Sam from NC
Never foam tractor tires unless you have no other option. Rough ride!

I used my M62 a bunch with the backhoe OFF...so ballasted rear tires made sense. I used Rimguard as we are in the mountains/cold climate. I also have it in my L6060. No issues so far.

If you are using your B26 with the BH off a bunch you can also consider. Otherwise I would not load the rears.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I foam filled the front tires on both my BX and my B2910. To easy to puncture those small front tires. Never regretted it. There’s still some flexibility to the tires, and the front tires are not large so it’s not all that expensive.

After getting my first puncture on the rear of my BX, which were tires filled with windshield washer fluid, I got them foam filled as well. The BX rear tires are relatively small, so it wasn’t too crazy in price. They ARE HEAVY and provide weight low for stability on cross slopes.

Larger rear tires like on my B 2910 would cost a lot to have foam filled. If you’re curious, you could call a large tire shop and get a quote, but be sitting down when you hear it.

When it comes to foam filled tires I am a believer. The tire shop where I got my tires filled told me what they do is cut the old tire off the wheel and reuse the wheel, if new tires are purchased.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There is the option to use liquid ballasts that you can add stop leak additive to.
Much better option for older tires.

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Had the front tires foamed on the B20 after a lot of flats. Foam is heavy and a foam tire will bounce higher than a air filled tire. Ride was not harsh for over 3,500 hours. There are different types of foam for different applications.

New B26, used Gemplers bulletproof leak stop in the front.
2” wheel rear extensions and methanol ballast. Tubeless tires I can plug if needed. Those R4 tires take forever to wear out. We need the width and ballast on our hillside farm for traction and stability.