Best size bucket BH92 hydraulic thumb

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
Couldn't figure it out ( pm )...are your hydraulic thumb ears ( widest point on thumb front of pin ) interfering with or hitting walls of trench due to thumb being wider at that particular point than the bucket?

Thank you
I don't really do very deep trenching, usually only about as deep as the bucket but I haven't noticed any problems like that. I would take a picture to show the set up but have the BH stored in the back of the barn for the winter which I hope will be over soon. If I can get a picture of it I will post it for you.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I don't really do very deep trenching, usually only about as deep as the bucket but I haven't noticed any problems like that. I would take a picture to show the set up but have the BH stored in the back of the barn for the winter which I hope will be over soon. If I can get a picture of it I will post it for you.
Thumb width V/S bucket width can be an issue if trenching depth is more than the bucket height.
Trenching to 3' deep or more, will always be an issue with 10" (or more) wide thumb BH machines with 12" digging buckets.

Last edited:

wasnotlooking

Oct 12, 2017
Chewelah
That sounds good...thank you

wasnotlooking

Oct 12, 2017
Chewelah
I crawled over the misc. stuff burying the BH in the barn and got a few shots, not perfect but you can see h View attachment 76391 ow much room you have. View attachment 76392 View attachment 76391 View attachment 76392 View attachment 76394 View attachment 76393
Thank you so much for going to the trouble to get me pictures...I really appreciate your effort! It has helped me decide...How long is your dolly that you made for your backhoe storage? I like that idea!

Reactions: 1 user

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
Thank you so much for going to the trouble to get me pictures...I really appreciate your effort! It has helped me decide...How long is your dolly that you made for your backhoe storage? I like that idea!
Glad I could help. I don't know the length off hand but I have some pictures of it. I had to keep adjusting where to place the wood pads so that the BH would sit "comfortably"
PB260001.JPG
PA030002.JPG
PA030003.JPG
on it.

Reactions: 1 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Glad I could help. I don't know the length off hand but I have some pictures of it. I had to keep adjusting where to place the wood pads so that the BH would sit "comfortably" View attachment 76500 View attachment 76499 View attachment 76498 on it.
I see you have a tongue coupler on it. What are you coupling it too? Are you able to move it safely by hand? I have to assume it is too heavy? I am wanting something but worry if wheel hits something on floor could it tip? Thoughts?

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I see you have a tongue coupler on it. What are you coupling it too? Are you able to move it safely by hand? I have to assume it is too heavy? I am wanting something but worry if wheel hits something on floor could it tip? Thoughts?
I put the coupling on with the hope of hooking it onto something to help pull it but never was able to figure anything out yet. I use a large metal hook with a handle once the wheels are lined up. Usually I just push it, it is extremely heavy and I have never had it tip on me. Before I move it, I make sure the floor is swept clean for ease of movement.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I'll throw another dolly example out for you...I've been using this set up for better than 15 years. Never had an issue as long as you keep the dipper near perpendicular to the floor (so the boom can't drop). I also reconnect the hydraulic lines together into a loop. The dolly setup makes it very easy to reconnect the BH as you can position it exactly where you want it to line up with the subframe.

Also, note the ratchet strap holding the outriggers together.

Simple set up. As Jajiu mentioned above, sweep the floor before trying to move the rig.

backhoe resting.JPG

wasnotlooking

Oct 12, 2017
Chewelah
I'll throw another dolly example out for you...I've been using this set up for better than 15 years. Never had an issue as long as you keep the dipper near perpendicular to the floor (so the boom can't drop). I also reconnect the hydraulic lines together into a loop. The dolly setup makes it very easy to reconnect the BH as you can position it exactly where you want it to line up with the subframe.

Also, note the ratchet strap holding the outriggers together.

Simple set up. As Jajiu mentioned above, sweep the floor before trying to move the rig.

View attachment 76514
Thank you for sharing DD...I appreciate it!