Best size bucket BH92 hydraulic thumb

wasnotlooking

Oct 12, 2017
Chewelah
Hi, I have a new to me Kubota L3560 with a BH92 backhoe and hydraulic thumb. It has the 18 inch bucket ( 17 1/4 OD ) and am wondering if the 12 inch would be better for my extremely rocky ground. Rock size is all over the place from football to small car. Obviously not going to try to move the big ones, just need to be able to dig some holes fencing , electrical lines ect... I have been told smaller the better for my kind of ground. Anyone concur with this theory? Thank you

G-dog

Reactions: 1 user

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
If I only had one the 16-18 fits the bill nicely. If you have the luxury, then 12,16,18,24+ where do you stop. I would also look into a frost ripper and keep the 18" bucket. Problem with the 12", (narrow attachments) is it is narrower than the thumb. If you do too heavy of digging you can start to snag on the thumb sides.
Bucket in my signature is a 12" quick attach.

Last edited:

wasnotlooking

Oct 12, 2017
Chewelah
If I only had one the 16-18 fits the bill nicely. If you have the luxury, then 12,16,18,24+ where do you stop. I would also look into a frost ripper and keep the 18" bucket. Problem with the 12", (narrow attachments) is it is narrower than the thumb. If you do too heavy of digging you can start to snag on the thumb sides.
Good point...never thought of that. My thumb is 11" OD I wonder if the 12 " bucket will be a true OD?

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I have the same setup as you, it came with the 18" bucket suggested by the dealer but I wanted a 12" bucket for trenching and smaller work. I tracked one down and purchased it and put it on and never went back to the 18". The thumb works great with it and I have never had a problem. I love picking up boulders and placing them right where I want them.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I have the 12" on my BH77. For my hard red clay a bigger bucket would not work as well. With whatever you decide, I'd highly recommend a quick connect attachment set up. I have the BExpanded version so I can swap out between the ripper the the 12" bucket in seconds. It makes having multiple sizes worth while.

wasnotlooking

Oct 12, 2017
Chewelah
I have the 12" on my BH77. For my hard red clay a bigger bucket would not work as well. With whatever you decide, I'd highly recommend a quick connect attachment set up. I have the BExpanded version so I can swap out between the ripper the the 12" bucket in seconds. It makes having multiple sizes worth while.
Thank you Freeheeler

wasnotlooking

Oct 12, 2017
Chewelah
I have the same setup as you, it came with the 18" bucket suggested by the dealer but I wanted a 12" bucket for trenching and smaller work. I tracked one down and purchased it and put it on and never went back to the 18". The thumb works great with it and I have never had a problem. I love picking up boulders and placing them right where I want them.
Hi, jajiu, would like to visit with you about your setup...how does a person send a pm?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Hi, I have a new to me Kubota L3560 with a BH92 backhoe and hydraulic thumb. It has the 18 inch bucket ( 17 1/4 OD ) and am wondering if the 12 inch would be better for my extremely rocky ground. Rock size is all over the place from football to small car. Obviously not going to try to move the big ones, just need to be able to dig some holes fencing , electrical lines ect... I have been told smaller the better for my kind of ground. Anyone concur with this theory? Thank you

G-dog
Two buckets can not hurt in the long run. I usually use my 16" bucket most of the time, and can tell you for clay when it is damp or wet, the 10" I have is useless, as it packs up and will not empty.

12" on my old mini ex is OK here...from what I can see.

If you dig something where you need to get into the trench to do something, 16" or better is good. IF you are just digging and putting something in the trench that you do not have to do more than just shove it in, narrow is better I guess.

I used to use my 10" bucket when digging stumps, thinking it was better at breaking roots...but I learned to avoid digging stumps if at all possible. Too time consuming with a small backhoe...LOL

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
Hi, jajiu, would like to visit with you about your setup...how does a person send a pm?
I think if you click on the envelope on the top right of the page next to the message bell you can start one, but I'm not sure.

wasnotlooking

Oct 12, 2017
Chewelah
I think if you click on the envelope on the top right of the page next to the message bell you can start one, but I'm not sure.
Couldn't figure it out ( pm )...are your hydraulic thumb ears ( widest point on thumb front of pin ) interfering with or hitting walls of trench due to thumb being wider at that particular point than the bucket?

Thank you

wasnotlooking

Oct 12, 2017
Chewelah
Two buckets can not hurt in the long run. I usually use my 16" bucket most of the time, and can tell you for clay when it is damp or wet, the 10" I have is useless, as it packs up and will not empty.

12" on my old mini ex is OK here...from what I can see.

If you dig something where you need to get into the trench to do something, 16" or better is good. IF you are just digging and putting something in the trench that you do not have to do more than just shove it in, narrow is better I guess.

I used to use my 10" bucket when digging stumps, thinking it was better at breaking roots...but I learned to avoid digging stumps if at all possible. Too time consuming with a small backhoe...LOL
Thanks Henro

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I asked for and got a 12" on my BX23S. Digs well, has 'wiggle' room when laying 4" weepers.
The thumb pivot points on my dipper stick are 14" outside to outside.
16" bucket is the minimum I can use.

Last edited:

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Have have an 18” with Hydr thumb (foot pedal operate). I have not used it much but it works well…like a mini grapple for MX. I think it pick up more than my B does with a regular grapple. I’ve only used in clay (sandy gravelly and packed). I am happy with it. If I new how well it would work I might actually have gone with larger bucket. In my mind I thought it would struggle digging in packed clay so I stayed with a mid size bucket. It does great.

wasnotlooking

Oct 12, 2017
Chewelah
Have have an 18” with Hydr thumb (foot pedal operate). I have not used it much but it works well…like a mini grapple for MX. I think it pick up more than my B does with a regular grapple. I’ve only used in clay (sandy gravelly and packed). I am happy with it. If I new how well it would work I might actually have gone with larger bucket. In my mind I thought it would struggle digging in packed clay so I stayed with a mid size bucket. It does great.
Thank you

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Thank you
I am not sure how you undock yours and I’ve never noticed in the videos) but I put blocks under it. I have to think hydraulics sag. It would be handful if sagged and not on level ground. I lock it out…think stored energy and put blocks under. Better on blocks than my feet.

Last edited:

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Couldn't figure it out ( pm )
Click on the persons name on the left hand side in one of his above posts, then start a conversation. He will be notified at the envelope at the top right when the message is sent. Then watch your envelope for a reply.

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
I also have very rocky ground. I am about a year in on 16" with the BH77 and it works very well. IMO would not go down to the 12" just for that but having both options is nice.

FWIW I recently watched a video of a BX using a ripper and it looks really useful! May have to look into that...