Best rear finish mower for a b1550?

Timbo108

Nov 14, 2009
Chesterfield,NH
Just bought a b1550 gear with a FEL. Come Springtime I need to buy a 3 point finish mower. Bearing costs in mind, I'd like to find a good used one.

Does anyone run bigger than a 48" ? Are there lighter 60" decks that the 13 HP at PTO will handle. I have about 4 acres of flat and somewhat hilly lawn to mow.

Thanks in advance...newbie to this forum. I've be running a G6200 with a 48" belly mower for about 8 years.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Hi Timbo108
The 48" is right for a B1550 You could run a 60" if your grass is light or you cut it often + keep the blades real sharp. It's not so much the weight of the mower as it is the power to turn the blades.
Ed

Timbo108

Nov 14, 2009
Chesterfield,NH
Thanks eserv

Should I look for the newer style with four casters (front and rear)? Seems the older style only have rear casters that could lead to front scalping when going over uneven terrain.

Anyone have any experience with what's sold new on eBay or are those units junk with weaker components, thinner steel and harder-to-replace bearings and such?

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I think the mowers with 4 wheels are better. Not only because they probably scalp less but they are not being carried by the tractor. this allows more weight on your front tires improving steering performance.
You can buy almost any quality on ebay, generally though, you get what you pay for! We sell Landpride, they are quite good quality and are fairly priced. Also are made in the USA so you are helping preserve one of you countryman's job! I Really wish we would build good tractors like Kubota in North America! What's wrong with us anyway?
Ed