Bent Top Link B2650

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, loader, MMM, pallet forks, tooth bar, rear blade, JD 318 w/plow, JD X350
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
Do you have a bent top link on a B series. Thinking about taking it apart to repair it? it is not going to come apart easily. It seems that the small screw hole in the tube is used to mar the thread, after which the screw is installed (probably to prevent debris from getting in) I bent the top link on my B2650. I removed the small screw (you can see it in the picture) to open the access hole and then cleaned the grease out. (There is a threaded hole on one side of the tube only, but there is one on each end). When I had cleaned out enough grease I could see a place in the thread that looked like it had been hit hard enough by something like a center punch to leave an indentation in the thread. This is probably done to limit the threaded rods outward movement. I guess that I can put the assembly into a vice and force the threaded end out, and then try to chase the treads but there doesn't seem to be a good reason to do it.

My opinion is that if you have a bent top link on a B series? It is time to buy a new one. (But my opinion is only worth what you paid for it). Tractor supply and others sell reasonably priced after market link. The is a "knock off" being offered for $80.00 on the web. You can get an OEM link from a dealer for about $105.00 (at lease you could 11-27-20)
Bent top link.jpg

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Well the 'good reason' would be so you can chuck the section into a vice and straighten it out, then reinstall and save yourself $80 !! I've done this 2-3 times in the past 20 years and the top links function fine

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
When I had cleaned out enough grease I could see a place in the thread that looked like it had been hit hard enough by something like a center punch to leave an indentation in the thread.
Sounds vaguely familiar.....

jnschnit

Equipment
B2601, BH70 BH, LA435 FL, RCK60-32 MMM, BX2763 Blade
May 10, 2013
newark valley new york
Been there done that. Used 5lb hammer to straighten out. Beat on the nut, not the threads.

Reactions: 1 user

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, loader, MMM, pallet forks, tooth bar, rear blade, JD 318 w/plow, JD X350
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
Thank you for the replies. I had been very frustrated in trying to screw the end out, so that I could straighten in a press or vice. It seemed like it should come apart. I guess the purpose of the post is to let people know just why you can't take the "link" apart, unlike an "L" link. If you can straighten the assembly out without taking it apart, and it works fine, all the better. The link on the "L" has the pin and spring arrangement people have written about so it should come apart, and you can buy all the individual parts. God bless Kubota though, its's double the money of the "B" link.