Bent the quick attach

larry a

Jul 3, 2018
columbia md
I have an L3901 with the LA525 loader.
I have a bobcat backhoe attachment in the field that I want to move to a different location and this is my only available machine. I suspected that it was too heavy, thought that I would just hear the hydraulics strain or lift my back wheels, then I would give up. Still following the logic that, " If Kubota didn't intend for us to pick up skid steer attachments, they wouldn't have put the skid steer quick attachment plates on the loader" , I tried and pretty easily picked up the body of the backhoe a few inches. The backhoe bucket was still extended to the ground and sharing the weight
I tried to curl back a little and the quick attach on the right side slipped out from the load, the load went down on that side. Its still just inches off the ground, nothing moved very far
It was enough warning, I gave up

Went to put my dirt bucket back on the tractor and I can't lock the quick attach on the left side, it doesn't lay quite flat against the bucket. If I apply some force down on the left corner (hook under something heavy like the corner of my trailer) it will let me engage the locking pin.

Without the bucket, I can see that the two quick attach plates are not aligned with each other and when I curl the piston on the right reaches the end of its "in" stroke while the left piston has about 1.5" to travel. The left piston will complete its stroke, something up there makes a 'click' sound when it retracts and again when it starts to extend the piston in the opposite stroke. I can't determine where the sound comes from

I'm not sure just what has bent here. Everything on the front plates looks ok, no cracked weld that I can see. It rotates smoothly, doesn't seem like a fractured pin, and the piston doesn't seem to have bent.
These are my limited visual inspections, any recommendations where to start troubleshooting?

Also, the machine is only a couple years old and still covered by KTAC insurance. Is this an insured event and is it worth following that path? I typically will do my own maintenance and minor repairs like broken pins, etc

Thanks for any advice

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
Have a look at this...

07wingnut

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Clearwater, BC, CA
Never use the ssqa on a FEL to lift/push anything, unless there is a bucket attached. Ask me how I know. Doesn't help you with your problem but sometimes it helps to know that others share your pain.

Reactions: 1 user

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Kubota has a bad habit of putting too much loader on too little a tractor and that has been going on for decades. Even my big M's have too much loader for their size. I do prefer the ATI SSQA over the Kubota SSQA, I have them both. The ATI unit is much more robust than the OEM unit. You can put them side by side and see the structural difference, it's especially evident in the lock down arms and the cross tube.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The round tubing welded between your attaching plates has twisted a bit. You need to use your hydraulics to attach the one side ( and something solid) so you can align it with the other side.

larry a

Jul 3, 2018
columbia md
Thanks for the good advice. I was able to get it corrected this morning by wrapping a chain around the SSQA and the loader frame, twisted it back easily. The attachments lock on without resistance.

You guys are the best, I really appreciate learning through your collective experiences