benefits of box blade over land plane

georgecdisc

Equipment
b2650
Mar 21, 2020
nh
Hi,

long time lurker first time poster....

im debating between a land plane and box blade for my b2650. what I can't find in my research is where a box blade outperforms a land plane. I find plenty results how a land plane is so much easier for driveway maintenance and less finicky. box blades are cheaper, so that is one thing going for them. the term "versatile" seems to come up for box blades but not really sure what that means.

about the only thing I can think of are areas with deep ruts where the additional holding capacity of a BB can retain more material to fill in deeper holes.

another item, less pertinent to me as I have a loader, is working from a pile of material to drag it out.

now for my application... I think a land plane would be best but I'm trying to convince myself to spend less. I'm seeking the benefits of a box blade over a land plane to help persuade me.

1. I've got two dirt driveways about 300ft long each. consistent very slight slope on both, just typical compacted ruts with a high center and high sides. plenty of good size softball size stones in either, and some that would require the back hoe. drainage isn't really an issue except on one drive. if I could get a crown it shouldn't pool up in the ruts (about 50ft section) anymore. due to the length, material, and objective I feel a box blade would work for me. I'm not doing a half mile+ drive, and I think a box blade may be better at bringing the outside high points to the center to produce a crown. I have no washboard, no potholes, no washouts. if it wasn't for the sides built up slightly high I could probably just use a chain link fence to smooth everything over and call it good enough. if I didn't have a sports car skimming the high center I wouldn't even bother. all-in-all its in good condition, I just want it better.

2. some rough lawn areas. I think a box blade would be better with some of the deeper holes I made when removing large stumps and boulders. plenty of other lawn areas over a couple acres that need general smoothing. these seem like a one time fix, not a maintenance job, although plenty of work to be done where I can see a land level vastly outperform.

3. things I haven't even thought about. as I've used my tractor I keep finding new excuses, I mean work applications, to justify the purchase. I'd hate to buy a land plane only to wish I got the BB because I didn't foresee a good use for it that may apply to me.

the ultimate answer is to rent something but I can't find anywhere that has attachments to rent.

I have no top and tilt, no immediate desire to add it either.

looking for insight on both the benefits of box blade over land plane in general, and what might be better suited for my application.

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
There is a lot of overlap on what they can do. If I was fighting a washboard road, I would prefer the landplane. Otherwise I would be happy with either.

One thing the box blade is better for is counterweight when using the loader. It doesn't take up as much room as the land plane.

This question is kind of like a mechanic asking what tool to get as he can afford only one. :)

Bruce

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
I found this video useful. A hydraulic top link almost seems necessary for box blade. Standard top link ok for most land planes since the sides have steel runners to guide the plane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYXcMN7tBjQ

The Agritek plane really needs the hydralic top link. The Hoelscher box blade, the lift arms change the "angle", the major disadvantages - harder to backup, can't lift implement off the ground.

When it's time to roll the lawn it's fun to show off how fast the job gets done when the neighbors only have lawn tractors (pull mine with BX2370)

Attachments

Last edited:

greeno

Equipment
B2710 w/LA402 FEL, BL4690 hoe, RB1560, GS1560, Haban 5' sickle bar, 5' JD RC
Jul 14, 2018
Big Lake MN
Can’t say enough good things about my land plane.

Does everything a box blade does except move material but I have a loader so no problem there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Land planes work great on maintaining driveways with smaller aggregate. More of a special purpose tool. Better for spreading and levelling.

If you get a box blade with scarifier they work great for making cuts and moving soil. Little more general purpose tool over the land plane. Better for cutting and filling.

If you plan on more general landscaping jobs the box plane will probably be handier. If you only want to tend the driveway the land plane will probably be the easiest to use.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I have both. The Land-Plane is useless on turf of any kind. It will scrape up lots of vegetation without affecting the soil, but it will NOT reshape the underlying dirt if vegetation is growing on it (unless scarifiers are added in which case it will roll-up both but not level the result because of the mixed-in vegetation.)
The box blade will move the soil AND the turf but not reliably without scarifiers.

Roadwork is what both excel at,...the box-blade at creating one,... but the landplane is better at maintaining an existing road presuming its made of aggregate. Hard-packed dirt roads are better maintained with a boxblade or maintainer/grader and a compactor/roller.

Fro65

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301HST, LA525, BH77, LP tiller, LP grader box, LP blade, BX2380
Dec 30, 2014
NorthEast Indiana
I have both. The Land-Plane is useless on turf of any kind. It will scrape up lots of vegetation without affecting the soil, but it will NOT reshape the underlying dirt if vegetation is growing on it (unless scarifiers are added in which case it will roll-up both but not level the result because of the mixed-in vegetation.)
The box blade will move the soil AND the turf but not reliably without scarifiers.

Roadwork is what both excel at,...the box-blade at creating one,... but the landplane is better at maintaining an existing road presuming its made of aggregate. Hard-packed dirt roads are better maintained with a boxblade or maintainer/grader and a compactor/roller.
This is dead on. I too have both and the only thing I would add is the fact that with the land plane you pretty much drop it on the ground and go. Whereas, with the box blade, you constantly have to adjust the height to keep it from digging in too much or not enough.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Landplane for gravel road maintenance.

Boxblade for gravel road repair and building. Also works well for breaking up other soils. A boxblade can also carry some material along with it to fill spots.

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
In the last couple days, I realized I needed to put a culvert in across a small seasonal creek that leaves a ditch, once it's hidden later in the year by tall grass, deep enough to get a truck stuck. This will give me better and easier access to 20 acres of my property, where I will touch up the terrain a bit to provide a cross wind runway. I can't wait to get the box blade with it's scarifiers out for this after reading this post! I've used it since I bought it to buff out my gravel driveway, usually after a rain when it's softened up a bit. As others have said it's pretty simple to use, as compared to a blade.

My plan is to first make several passes with the teeth down (no rocks, soft ground this time of year, it should be able to really kick butt) to get rid of the undulations and bumps, then pull them up and make a few more passes, should be fun.

KTuk4J

Equipment
B2650 Duetz Allis 6275 CAT D6 CAT 110B
Mar 2, 2020
NW OR
My vote would be a box with adjustable rippers.
I feel it can do as good plus much more.

PNWBXer

Equipment
BX2380
Feb 24, 2020
Washington
..................where I will touch up the terrain a bit to provide a cross wind runway.
I can save you some time.........wing tip down opposite rudder! :D Seriously tho...would be cool to have enough property (and the right property) to be able to put your own air strip in. Need to get back into General Aviation... maybe one day....