Being Biased About Things....

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
You know when I was younger and my dad was still on the planet, I thought maybe he was pretty biased about what he stated about things.

Now he is gone and I am in about the same position.

Starting to think when younger I should have given more consideration to what he was saying....

Something to be said about age brings wisdom.

Just saying...

Reactions: 1 user

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
You know when I was younger and my dad was still on the planet, I thought maybe he was pretty biased about what he stated about things.

Now he is gone and I am in about the same position.

Starting to think when younger I should have given more consideration to what he was saying....

Something to be said about age brings wisdom.

Just saying...
None of us are all right or all wrong about everything we say or think, even our dads but I sure wish I had mine back right now. He sure did a good job of teaching us the difference between right and wrong.

Reactions: 4 users

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Henro said
(Starting to think when younger I should have given more consideration to what he was saying....)

[/QUOTE]
I'm not starting.. I've always wished this! I've always said if I knew half of what he did I would be set!

None of us are all right or all wrong about everything we say or think, even our dads but I sure wish I had mine back right now. He sure did a good job of teaching us the difference between right and wrong.
You can sure say that again.. and this was with 5 boys and 2 girls!
Yep I really miss mine too!

Last edited:

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Old people may or may not be biased and closed minded. I think more of them (more accurately us) seem that way as compared to younger people in large part because the older we get, if you’re thoughtful and observant, experience allows us to more quickly and accurately differentiate between BS rainbows and unicorns v reality.

Reactions: 2 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Old people may or may not be biased and closed minded. I think more of them (more accurately us) seem that way as compared to younger people in large part because the older we get, if you’re thoughtful and observant, experience allows us to more quickly and accurately differentiate between BS rainbows and unicorns v reality.
What you said…and STUPID used to hurt. And it was possible to be hungry.

Reactions: 1 users

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
What you said…and STUPID used to hurt. And it was possible to be hungry.
I didn’t grow up during the depression (my grandparents did). Even though we were never well off when I was a kid, I don’t remember ever being hungry. I’m in my sixth decade so I’m not a youngster.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Everyone has their opinions and a lot of us tend to not keep them to ourselves. Myself included.

But then the mainsteam media, same way. Biased. Unfortunate to be honest, but I know why.

Lastly, for any of you young folks reading. Listen to your elders. All of them. might learn something. So many folks nowadays don't have parents, they have siblings, they have grandparents that raise them, they might have fosters, or sometimes none-live with, well whoever. And then there's some that do have parents (or step parents) that teach them everything that is wrong is correct.

I thank the good lord often that my mom and dad are still with us, and that they busted their behind to raise us the best they could. They are not in good shape physically but mentally dad is still as sharp as a tack. Mom not so much.

Reactions: 2 users

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
One of the many courses (most I found useless) I took while at work referred to this book:

"What You Are is What You Where When"

The concept was that each one of us has different experiences and exposure to the environments and events that surround us. As we are born and grow up to be an adult those things are the ones that establish your values of what is right, wrong, good or bad and even indiferent. The purpose was that sometimes, in order to understand a new concept or idea, you had to understand your own biases and figure out how they could help or hinder your interpretation of that new idea.
So, our interpretation of what we like and don't like it's based on our life experiences and every one of us has gone through different ones.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
“The unsettled mind is at times an ally
Leaving the senses to fend for themselves
The senses collect undeniable data”

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I remember one discussion with my dad where I was sure I was right and would not listen. He said to me. You’ve never been 50 and I’ve been 17. Made me stop and think. Yeah. He’s been there and done that. Time to shut up and listen. Boy do I miss that man. Have to admit when I’m doing things, working on cars and I start to struggle, I talk to him like he is standing behind me, which he is. Usually able to work the issue out doing that. Man it’s getting dusty in here. Making my eyes water. Need to go have a talk with my Dad now.

Reactions: 1 users

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
My dad dying before giving any words of wisdom. Life did that pretty darn fast after he passed.
I knew that being poor in a middle class area sucked, I knew what it felt like to go to bed hungry and to know that I would never have the 'goodies' that most of my friends had. More than a few fights when somebody laughed that I was getting a free lunch at school. THEY had no idea that was the only meal sometimes.
I also learned how cold and cruel adults could be to each other. More important it taught me that MOM was indeed a strong women and did her best.
I resolved that my kids would never know hunger or go to school in salvation army hand me downs. They grew up strong and independent. Our politics and religion are different so I feel I gave them a true sense of follow your own path and avoid crowd mentality.

I am far from that young boy's life now and I did grow to see more than one side to any story. I do not tolerate zealots, bigots, or posers.

BTW: If you have ever tried to stir the oil back into the peanut butter in a 5 pound silver USDA can you know where I come from. Powdered milk is NEVER to be served in my house.