Beach maintenance: chain harrow, landscape rake, rocks, other?

johnsayen

Jul 3, 2021
Michigan
Hi all,

Recently got first tractor (L6060) and have been using it to clear our beach which on the lake side is mostly sand and on the grass side is mostly dirt. After back-blading to tear up most of the grass and roots I started dragging a drag/chain harrow with the tines in the down/dig position. It helped clean up quite a bit of material but I've also kicked up a good amount of rocks/gravel in the process. I've got a 3-point landscape rake on order which I intend to use into the future to help with all of this, and I'm looking for help in the meantime to try to produce a nice beach experience.

What do you recommend as a next step? Flip the harrow so the tines are up/not digging and drag? Try spending 900000 hours picking rocks by hand or using a leaf rake? Other?

Included a picture - thank you.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

Goz63

Equipment
Kubota L2501, LA525 loader, QH15,Land Pride RCR1860, BB2560, SGC0660, forks
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
Congrats on your first tractor. Heck if a way to jump in getting a Grand L6060. Wow. As for your beach, I would flip the harrow over and drag what you can with that then do the landscape rake. Our chain harrow does a great job if smoothing things out. It won’t pull all the rocks out but will get you through to the rake.

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
It's pricy, but you could try a harley rake. That should take out all the debris and leave the sand.
A pine straw rake might do a better job at grabbing the sticks and whatnot while leaving the sand. A landscape rake might move more sand than you're looking for.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
You may have to remove alternating tines to remove big rocks, sticks, clumps of sod, ect. Then reinstall tines for maintenance screening and smoothing.

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
Since this chore isn't a one time task, I'd consider purchasing a 7 foot land plane and about 5-6 20 foot lengths of 1" steel angle. Then cut each length into 6 equal pieces (40'') then tack weld the angle (point up) to the top edge of the leading blade and resting on top of the rear blade, leave a 1" gap between the angles. Of course the angle iron will follow the angle of the front blade, either trim or leave as is. If you decide to just use it as a leveler, just twist the angle at the weld. As you pull through the sand material will gather on top of the angles and sand will be deposited in front of the rear blade for proper and level distribution. Carry a couple of onion sacks to place material in. Just my .02

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
Since this chore isn't a one time task, I'd consider purchasing a 7 foot land plane and about 5-6 20 foot lengths of 1" steel angle. Then cut each length into 6 equal pieces (40'') then tack weld the angle (point up) to the top edge of the leading blade and resting on top of the rear blade, leave a 1" gap between the angles. Of course the angle iron will follow the angle of the front blade, either trim or leave as is. If you decide to just use it as a leveler, just twist the angle at the weld. As you pull through the sand material will gather on top of the angles and sand will be deposited in front of the rear blade for proper and level distribution. Carry a couple of onion sacks to place material in. Just my .02
That actually doesn't sound like a bad idea. Basically creating a mobile sand screen.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
When you get the rock rake measure the width and get some expanded metal about a foot longer, bend it to the radius of the rake times. Clamp the expanded metal a couple of places and start dragging. Size pf spacing in expanded metal will determine size of rocks collected. Simple and inexpensive after you own the rake.

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
That actually doesn't sound like a bad idea. Basically creating a mobile sand screen.
Also, if you set the top link as short as possible you may be able to raise the plane thereby tilting and dumping the material in a pile/hole. And as long as you're welding add a rack for carrying chairs, umbrellas and coolers.