Battery mower for cutting a tiny area?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
When I say tiny, I mean like 60 square feet. Or if I took it to the limit, maybe 300 square feet. But the 60 square feet area is the necessary part.

I don’t want to bother getting my gas powered weed wacker out to do this. It’s great when real work is needed, but not this type of use.

I have lots of Dewalt 20 volt max tools and batteries. I think I am about to answer my own question now before asking it.

I was thinking that a battery operated mower, that I could leave on the ground level back deck, would work well. BUT now as I type this, maybe a battery weed wacker that uses Dewalt 20 volt max batteries is the real solution.

Advice, suggestions? I have a pergola with three posts, and can’t get the tractor between them to cut what needs cut.

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
We have an 'EGO' electric lawn mower and have never run it out yet. I cut for about 40 minutes and finish up by making the mower self propel back up a steep hill.
Battery life has been very surprising.
Same battery runs the trimmer.
The mower wasn't cheap but it always starts.

Reactions: 3 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
We have an 'EGO' electric lawn mower and have never run it out yet. I cut for about 40 minutes and finish up by making the mower self propel back up a steep hill.
Battery life has been very surprising.
Same battery runs the trimmer.
The mower wasn't cheap but it always starts.
Ditto for my battery powered 16" chain saw!
Luv it!
Not for cords of wood, but for quick little jobs.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Electric push-mowers are convenient. (no gas, no yanking to start... just squeeze and mow)

My experience is that the mowblade must be kept VERY sharp lest it leaves a scraggly looking finish. I attribute this to the slow RPMs. (gasoline engine is over 3000 RPM.... my 24v electric is farrrrr less than that.)

BXHoosier

Equipment
BX24
Jan 21, 2018
Indiana
I recently bought a Dewalt 20v brushless string trimmer and I love it. I use it mostly on low to do my trimming and it has plenty of power. On high, it seems to have as much power as my gas trimmer. With a 5ah battery, it will run about 20+ minutes straight.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
For 60 SF I would use our Kobalt 24V weed eater. Not worth changing the blade for the string head and cranking the Stihl or even the little Honda push mower.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
I helped my elderly neighbor with the one she has.. Ego it's like a 50 volt or so. Works great for small areas, maybe large.. I only done her small back yard. Sounds like an electric weed eater would work better for your situation having to trim around post.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I would start with the battery weed whacker because you need it anyway. Chances are that is all that you will ever need, but you will still have that battery mower option.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I recently bought a Dewalt 20v brushless string trimmer and I love it. I use it mostly on low to do my trimming and it has plenty of power. On high, it seems to have as much power as my gas trimmer. With a 5ah battery, it will run about 20+ minutes straight.
I’ve concluded I am going to go with a Dewalt string trimmer, as I have other 20 volt max Dewalt tools so it will be a good match battery wise.

I just need something to use where the BX2200 can’t fit. Came to realize a small push mower would be less effective for what I need to do.

Thanks to all for the advice…😀

JWool

Equipment
B2650HSDC FEL & Front Snow Blower, ZT-Z421, GL11000 Generator
Dec 29, 2013
Northern MI
I considered this wheel kit for gas or electric trimmer, because it never fails I end up making a bare spot or spots.
For now I went with a 6ov 17" greenworks mower for small areas and trimming, I may still get the wheels.
For the greenworks, I already had there chain saw and snow blower that worked great.
weed whacker wheels.jpg

Steve67

Equipment
B2601-fel, 60"mmm, 5' rear blade, balast box
Jan 20, 2017
St. Louis, mo.
I second the green works tools. I have their weed trimmer, pole saw, and leaf blower all use the same 60 v battery. Will be getting their battery operated mower next.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I ended up buying a Dewalt 13" string trimmer, 20 volt max type. Came with a 4 AH battery and a descent charger, new for $131 delivered, plus sales tax.

Actually surprised at how well it works. Beats my expectations. Happy camper.

Also bought a 20 volt max hedge trimmer. No hedges here, but thinking ahead on the wisteria on the pergola I built a couple years ago. It also works well, and does a good job trimming back rag weed which is a pain otherwise. It was a bare tool, but I have plenty of batteries.

Just an update for those interested. :)

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I'm also committed to the 20v Max system, having many of their tools including weed whacker and pole saw/trimmer. When it came to a battery lawnmower though I went with the Ego. My lawn is about 3/4 acre and this mower is awesome. Takes less than an hour (of good exercise for me) and there is still battery capacity left.
Good luck with yours!

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Takes less than an hour (of good exercise for me) and there is still battery capacity left.
This is my measurement of nearly any battery-powered tool. If the battery outlasts my energy... it is good enough for me. :)

i do know a contractor who uses power-tools all day long... his metric is different. Having the MOST tools for the battery's is important. After trying many brands..... he ended up with RYOBI which has over 200 tools in the arsenal.

For example, he was on a job which required him to caulk EVERY seam on a refrigerated metal building. After the first day of squeezing a calking-gun, he went to HomeDepot and bought an electric calking-gun which worked with his existing batteries..... He said EVERYONE on the job who was still using manual calking-guns was jealous cuz their brand of choice did not even offer a battery calking gun. (Now they do :unsure: )

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
I have the DeWalt chain saw, string trimmer, and twin battery mower. Happy with all of them. Tall grass is tough on the mower, you have to go slow. It works well when used within its design capabilities. I recommend them. Below is a power station that uses the 20/60 volt max batteries to create 120 volt ac. Amazing stuff.

DCB1800B1800 Watt Portable Power Station and Simultaneous Battery Charger

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
an observation....
60 sq ft ??? that's less than the area of 2 sheets of plywood..... do you really need grass there ?

al battery grass cutters need to be used OFTEN and with razor sharp blades.

Daylight

Equipment
BX231, Ortolan T10
Feb 25, 2021
Why go electric? For 60 (or even 300) square feet there's still the good ole manual one...

Wolf-Garten-TT-350-S.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I think the trimmer was the right choice. I went with the ego and love it, doesn't bog down like others I've tried. Since you already have DeWalt batteries, that was a functional choice. As someone already asked, "do you really need grass there". The older I get the more I use creek stone with weed barrier under it for small patches that I don't want to have to spend time maintaining. I've replaced all my mulch areas with stone and it's a one and done, saves a ton of time each year and I think it looks better too. Just an idea.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
an observation....
60 sq ft ??? that's less than the area of 2 sheets of plywood..... do you really need grass there ?

al battery grass cutters need to be used OFTEN and with razor sharp blades.
LOL...I don't need grass there, but the grass and weeds somehow think they don't need me there...

I can cut on both sides of that area with my BX...just can't cut what is between the pergola posts...Still laughing...sorry...

By the way, a string trimmer doesn't have blades...LOL

Thanks for a good laugh!

Edit: In case you missed it, I realized and posted above that I bought a dewalt string trimmer to accomplish my goal.