battery maintainance safety

LRP

Sep 29, 2010
canada
here is a tip that might save somebody some grief.
when removeing or installing a battery, u ALLWAYS REMOVE THE GROUNDED
TERMINAL FIRST AND IT,S THE LAST ONE TO GO BACK ON. i once met a guy
that was blind because of this. think about it and u will see why. in our bota,s
are all neg grnd. first off and last on. there are some equiptment are there that is pos grnd.
be safe and a happy new year to all
Louis

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
If I can add my two cents too... Wearing safety glasses or a face shield is good advice when handling, removing or replacing a battery.

Dan

Michael

Equipment
Zen Noh ZL1801 Sadly I sold it and a T1400 lawn tractor
Mar 11, 2009
Sedro Woolley, Washington USA
Add this to the list

Before charging a battery, remove the negative ground wire, open the cells and verify that the battery has fluid over the top of the plates and then place the positive terminal clamp on first and then the negative terminal clamp

Personally I prefer to charge a battery out of the equipment that I am charging, if you do this I always place the battery on my wood bench, open the cells to allow gas to escape and do a slow charge over night with a charger that automatically shuts off

The following morning I unplug the charger and wait 15 minutes and then reinstall the cell caps and then remove the negative clamp first and then the positive clamp.

I have always worn safety glasses with side shields and a face shield, it is a old habit from when I worked in a battery shop in the Air Force.

When cleaning a battery the old standby baking soda and water will neutralize any acid on the out side of the battery but if you do not have that but you have a soda pop handy like Coke Cola, or Pepsi these work also to neutralize the acid on the outside of the battery and they also will partially remove the acid-corrosion on the posts of the battery, just remember to completely rinse this stuff off before you open any cell of the battery.

jonyyuma

Equipment
2003 L3000dt{sept.-10}, loader, tiller
Aug 13, 2010
millington,tn, usa
Add this to the list

Before charging a battery, remove the negative ground wire, open the cells and verify that the battery has fluid over the top of the plates and then place the positive terminal clamp on first and then the negative terminal clamp

Personally I prefer to charge a battery out of the equipment that I am charging, if you do this I always place the battery on my wood bench, open the cells to allow gas to escape and do a slow charge over night with a charger that automatically shuts off

The following morning I unplug the charger and wait 15 minutes and then reinstall the cell caps and then remove the negative clamp first and then the positive clamp.

I have always worn safety glasses with side shields and a face shield, it is a old habit from when I worked in a battery shop in the Air Force.

When cleaning a battery the old standby baking soda and water will neutralize any acid on the out side of the battery but if you do not have that but you have a soda pop handy like Coke Cola, or Pepsi these work also to neutralize the acid on the outside of the battery and they also will partially remove the acid-corrosion on the posts of the battery, just remember to completely rinse this stuff off before you open any cell of the battery.
Please consider:
If you disconnect the neg lead you cannot fry or hurt the alternator while charging..If you short the pos lead you can be in the midst of a battery eruption. Depending on the condition of the internal connectors and acid vapors.Batteries can blow the whole top off and blow acid everywhere close.l

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Here is the most common cause of battery explosion.
Engine won't start but turns over. You crank on it till the batt runs down. You then hook up a batt charger or booster cables from another vehicle. When you clamp the last clamp to the post, a spark is created and the battery explodes. Why??? While you were cranking, the batt was producing gas that comes out the vents and it completly surrounds the batt. One little spark is all it takes.
If you must boost the batt, allways fan the batt to disperce the fumes or wait at least 3 minutes and allways make the last booster connection on the eng ground , not the batt.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Any one needing to charge a Optima battery. Hook another battery in series with the battery needing charged. This prevents overcharging/overheating the battery. If you overheat a Optima battery the case will warp. When this happens the warranty is void and now you have a paper weight. Cost me $250 to find this out.

E/S

Equipment
2009 M8540HDC 4x4 w/ Cab
Jan 6, 2010
Reno, NV
Any one needing to charge a Optima battery. Hook another battery in series with the battery needing charged. This prevents overcharging/overheating the battery. If you overheat a Optima battery the case will warp. When this happens the warranty is void and now you have a paper weight. Cost me $250 to find this out.
Bulldog,
Series or parallel ?

E/S

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I'm glad you caught that E/S. Parallel is the proper connection. It was late and my thinking cap was still hanging up. Good eye.