Ballast Box needed?

FJK

Equipment
Kubota MX5400
Aug 16, 2022
Central California
Hi All,
I'm new to this site and am really happy to have found it. I'm a new tractor owner and new to tractors. I bought a Kubota MX5400 and am really happy with it. With all the backorders were experiencing these days now, I received my 4 to 1 bucket to replace the standard bucket that came with the tractor only a couple of weeks ago.
After the change out, I noticed how much heavier the 4 to 1 bucket is. I'm somewhat spooked about flipping with a load in the bucket. I loading only a little more than half the load I too in the standard bucket, only travel with it about 20 inches off the deck, traveling very slow when traveling in surfaces 10 degree or more pitch of a hillside. I haven't felt or seen the rear tire lift off the ground. I have a mower as well as a cultivator which I was told I could be used as ballast but the mower is so big and the cultivator doesn't seem to have the weight......but that just my opinion. I have been looking at a Ballast Box that is Quick Hitch, Category 1 compatible. I located one but have been holding off to see what other experienced tractor operators thought that I have spoken too. I not sure if this is a "learning curve and get over it already", or "just filling the rear tires with the water" or "get the ballast box" or what? ( I have not yet filled the rear tires yet as the tractor was delivered with air only in the rear tires.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
General rule of thumb, if you are using the loader you need ballast on the three point. Many of us just use implements that we have to avoid additional cost. I run with my box blade a lot.

In addition, filling your tires is a good idea, but not a replacement for three point ballast.

As you noted, when traveling the load needs to be carried as low as possible to prevent any tipping.

20201123_102738 resize.jpg

One other note, go straight up or down hillsides, avoid going across them.

Resized_20191227_121534.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
You may want to consider buying/making a 3PH 'carryall'.(essentially a set of pallet forks) . Then add weight to a skid, Slide carry all under the skid, lift and go. This 'two part' ballast box is a LOT easier to put on/take off, and you can have 2 skids of weights. One light ,one heavy so you can choose which is best for the operation you're doing.
Since the carryall is short and narrow, you can get into tight places where having a boxblade or tiller won't allow you to go.

Reactions: 1 user

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Hi All,
I'm new to this site and am really happy to have found it. I'm a new tractor owner and new to tractors. I bought a Kubota MX5200 and am really happy with it. With all the backorders were experiencing these days now, I received my 4 to 1 bucket to replace the standard bucket that came with the tractor only a couple of weeks ago.
After the change out, I noticed how much heavier the 4 to 1 bucket is. I'm somewhat spooked about flipping with a load in the bucket. I loading only a little more than half the load I too in the standard bucket, only travel with it about 20 inches off the deck, traveling very slow when traveling in surfaces 10 degree or more pitch of a hillside. I haven't felt or seen the rear tire lift off the ground. I have a mower as well as a cultivator which I was told I could be used as ballast but the mower is so big and the cultivator doesn't seem to have the weight......but that just my opinion. I have been looking at a Ballast Box that is Quick Hitch, Category 1 compatible. I located one but have been holding off to see what other experienced tractor operators thought that I have spoken too. I not sure if this is a "learning curve and get over it already", or "just filling the rear tires with the water" or "get the ballast box" or what? ( I have not yet filled the rear tires yet as the tractor was delivered with air only in the rear tires.
Bingo.

Four-in-one buckets are considerably heavier than regular FEL buckets, significantly reducing payload.

I bought the Kubota 4-in-1 bucket with my L6060 (wouldn't do so again), and, without a counterweight. it is dangerous on non level ground even with an empty bucket. Moreover, it will not back up a slight incline, regardless of surface unless in FWA.

I change/repair my own tires so never use liquid ballast but do have the maximum of 3 weights per rear wheel.

I do have both small and large ballast boxes filled with bagged playground sand for FEL work on small and large tractors.

Both ballast boxes are stored on HF moving dollies and are very easily installed/removed/stored.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
You need something on the 3ph in addition to filled rear tires. The benefit of a ballast box is that it does not stick out as far as most implements. For me, I generally use the brush hog. The back blade sticks out to the side and is too light to offer much ballast. The wood chipper is more unwieldy. A box blade or flail mower would work well and not stick out so far.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
On my MX, I have filled tires, 3 sets of wheel weights and usually a 720lb box blade on the 3 point. Also my wheels are set in their almost widest setting. ~73” outside to outside. All of that made the tractor feel much more stable by my seat o pants meter.
4F7A14C9-895C-4DC5-B1F4-FE1DEEF82D90.jpeg

I also have a ballast box, that I haven't got around to filling. As the box blade is on most of time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

FJK

Equipment
Kubota MX5400
Aug 16, 2022
Central California
Thank you guys very much for your input. I'm really impressed on the different jobs a 4 to 1 can accomplish but up in the air on if I should have purchased it. Does anyone know the weight difference with the two buckets? I wasn't able to find that on a search.

FJK

Equipment
Kubota MX5400
Aug 16, 2022
Central California
General rule of thumb, if you are using the loader you need ballast on the three point. Many of us just use implements that we have to avoid additional cost. I run with my box blade a lot.

In addition, filling your tires is a good idea, but not a replacement for three point ballast.

As you noted, when traveling the load needs to be carried as low as possible to prevent any tipping.

View attachment 85408

One other note, go straight up or down hillsides, avoid going across them.

View attachment 85409
Thanks Bmyer

FJK

Equipment
Kubota MX5400
Aug 16, 2022
Central California
You may want to consider buying/making a 3PH 'carryall'.(essentially a set of pallet forks) . Then add weight to a skid, Slide carry all under the skid, lift and go. This 'two part' ballast box is a LOT easier to put on/take off, and you can have 2 skids of weights. One light ,one heavy so you can choose which is best for the operation you're doing.
Since the carryall is short and narrow, you can get into tight places where having a boxblade or tiller won't allow you to go.
Thanks GreensvilleJay, do you have any pictures of your carryall?

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
Ballast Box Needed?

I would say yes.... when we were in school our farming classes had general rules of thumb they would drill safety into our heads. Why? seemed everyone knew someone (or three) that lost family/friends/children) to farming accidents.

One of them I remember was "if you hang something off the front (like a loader with a full bucket) you should counter and hang something off the back of about equal weight".

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Good advice. The carryall is cheap, and versatile. I got mine from Tractor Supply. It's a very simple implement, so no need to go crazy on cost. I see they have gone up, but still, not a horrible price. I also put a bevel on the forks to make it easier to get under a pallet or tote. Rounded the corners on the ends, too. Snags less that way.

The only downside to this product is the mounting pins are attached a bit higher than I like. I plan to lower mine aobut 4-6" so I can get more ground clearance when I raise the 3PH.

Pallets are easy to come by. Craigslist, every day. You can often get plastic ones. The heavy duty plastic ones run about $15-20 on Craigslist in my area.

IBC totes filled with water should make good ballast. You can adjust the water level to adjust the weight. IIRC, water is about 8 pounds per gallon, so a hundred gallons gets you 800 pounds. If you don't like it sloshing around, add concrete and give up the adjustability.

You do NOT need food grade for this. Might be a bit cheaper in your neck of the woods.

I have a place near me that sells them for $20, but they come with some leftover mulch dye in them that makes a huge mess if you try to use the bottle for anything that involves cutting it open. But for ballast, it wouldn't be a problem at all. Just add water and put the lid back on.

Last edited:

FJK

Equipment
Kubota MX5400
Aug 16, 2022
Central California
Good advice. The carryall is cheap, and versatile. I got mine from Tractor Supply. It's a very simple implement, so no need to go crazy on cost. I see they have gone up, but still, not a horrible price. I also put a bevel on the forks to make it easier to get under a pallet or tote. Rounded the corners on the ends, too. Snags less that way.

The only downside to this product is the mounting pins are attached a bit higher than I like. I plan to lower mine aobut 4-6" so I can get more ground clearance when I raise the 3PH.

Pallets are easy to come by. Craigslist, every day. You can often get plastic ones. The heavy duty plastic ones run about $15-20 on Craigslist in my area.

IBC totes filled with water should make good ballast. You can adjust the water level to adjust the weight. IIRC, water is about 8 pounds per gallon, so a hundred gallons gets you 800 pounds. If you don't like it sloshing around, add concrete and give up the adjustability.

You do NOT need food grade for this. Might be a bit cheaper in your neck of the woods.

I have a place near me that sells them for $20, but they come with some leftover mulch dye in them that makes a huge mess if you try to use the bottle for anything that involves cutting it open. But for ballast, it wouldn't be a problem at all. Just add water and put the lid back on.
Great idea! Thanks!

FJK

Equipment
Kubota MX5400
Aug 16, 2022
Central California

Hey Mark, is that carryall you got at Tractor Supply a Quick Hitch Category 1 compatible? Was told from someone who saw my MX 5200, I have to be sure on all attachments

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Hey Mark, is that carryall you got at Tractor Supply a Quick Hitch Category 1 compatible? Was told from someone who saw my MX 5200, I have to be sure on all attachments

Yes, it's CAT 1. I use it on my BX.

Here's what I did to my carryall. Lousy picture, but you get the idea. It comes from the store just with a completely square end. It caught on things a lot when I was trying to slide the forks in to a pallet or tote. Works MUCH better now!

Beveled and rounded carryall.jpg

Last edited:

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Hi All,
I'm new to this site and am really happy to have found it. I'm a new tractor owner and new to tractors. I bought a Kubota MX5200 and am really happy with it. With all the backorders were experiencing these days now, I received my 4 to 1 bucket to replace the standard bucket that came with the tractor only a couple of weeks ago.
Good day. Ballasts does multiple things…increases ground pressure which gives better traction, increases mass which helps move stuff, and then also helps the machine stay plant (avoid tip over). On my Mx I have loaded tires plus wheel weights and then I also use something behind either backho implement or a dedicated babbalst box. I’d recommend you think through what utility you like to have when you will use your loader. I have the dedicated ballast box for when I am going to play in the woods and use the loader…I have the box set up to carry my saws and tools. As a bonus it works any other time I want to use the loader. ( I have a similar set up for my B). They also have a receiver so I can pull a trailer or drag a log. I do not have a box scraper but if I did I think I would put 2 inch receiver on it and then buy some sort of carry all box on to haul my gear and think also how I could add some suitcase weights. For me being able to haul my tools in conjunction with the loader is my priority. Everyone has a different set up and priority.

Virtual Guy

Equipment
Kubota L2501, loader, Land Pride box blade and grapple, John Deere MX5 cutter
Jul 17, 2022
Osage County Oklahoma
I made a DIY ballast by filling a plastic barrel with concrete. There are many videos out there showing what others have done but if you're interested I'll share how I did it.

FYI I did it with no welding and minimal metal cutting. I haven't used it much yet, just poured the concrete a couple days ago.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Mark mentioned a carry all.

This is mine set up for brush cutting and chipping.

Anything can be added for shear weight, but as D2Cat mentioned, they take up more space, which can be a problem in tight quarters.

3D69ABB8-967D-48A2-B2E8-8AB6416F896F.jpeg

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
The TSC one is 'generic' or 'basic', easily modified as required. Mine uses scrap forklift forks as the ,well, forks...Frame was made from scrap as well, Strong enough to haul 3200# logs 'here and there'.
If you go with the 'carry all + skids', you can set one up for 'lumberjacking', 'light counter balance', heavy counter balance', 'yard maintenance', 'portable power generator station', etc.When done ,place the skid' on top of another one ,not onto the ground. The 1st skid is 'sacrificial', the bugs and rain will eventually destroy it, but your real ones will survive. The other trick, get several skids ALL the same size ! I scored 360 all hardwood 42x48 skids years ago. down to about 20 or so.

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
I’d go for filled rear tires. Depending on size and type of tire on your MX it will add 470lbs-585lbs PER TIRE. That information is straight from the manual. A carryall is a great idea also if you have the need for one without an implement, such as a mower and box blade.