Ball Peen Hammer

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
Look if you need help with something you must give some information so that you get the better feed back. "drive out pins" does not tell what you need to get done. Since you are new to tractor owning I am going to guess that you are talking about the pins on the 3 point hitch? If this is correct then I would not use a ballpeen hammer. Instead buy a "dead blow" hammer. It will allow you to knock the arms of the three point off of the pins without damaging anything.

Make sure the implement is setting level and that you adjust the stress on the hydraulics to fine the sweet spot to minimize the weight on the pins. When you set the implements on to the ground it is often helpful to place 4 x 4s under the implement to make it easier to move things around in order to hook them back up.

Be careful of the many pinch points as you mount and dismount the implements. They can be painful.
Great advice. If I lower an implement to the sweet spot, the arms will usually slide right off the pins. I get the sweet spot by lowering the implement and watching the right side arm. There is a point where the arm will “relax” on the pin before the weight continues down putting pressure on the pin. That’s where I stop. Before doing it this way, I would have to use a hammer and crowbar to slide the arms off the pins. I never had this problem with my previous tractor, but did with Kubota the first time I tried to disconnect my harrow. It is a 6 foot Woods and the pins are angled back and if I don’t get the arms to a point where there is no up or down stress on them, they won’t come off. I don’t advise beating them off. Long term, it will cause problems.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I must be lucky, after 9 years and 3 different tractors I don't think I've ever taken a hammer to any of them.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
As long as you've got the right sized blocks to rest the implement on, removing 3pt arms is a minor PITA. I much prefer the S-C system,never have to get off the tractor and never have to readjust the hookup no matter which tractor has whatever implement on it. hookup and go or drop and leave, 30 seconds at best.