Backhoe slowly declines when stored

Ted1

Sep 14, 2017
Pa
Recently had my dealer replace a couple of hydraulic hoses on the backhoe that were leaking, which I believe were to the downrigger on one side only. When the tractor was not run for a week or 2, the downriggers and the backhoe bucket would go down a little bit but not significantly. However, now the backhoe bucket will completely drop to the ground in a week or two. I am unsure if the dealer missed something or did something incorrectly. Could it be some air in the hydraulic system? the fluid level, l2501, is about 1/2 way up the site window( had been higher before) so I don't think it is low hydraulic fluid. Any ideas appreciated.
Thank you

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Recently had my dealer replace a couple of hydraulic hoses on the backhoe that were leaking, which I believe were to the downrigger on one side only. When the tractor was not run for a week or 2, the downriggers and the backhoe bucket would go down a little bit but not significantly. However, now the backhoe bucket will completely drop to the ground in a week or two. I am unsure if the dealer missed something or did something incorrectly. Could it be some air in the hydraulic system? the fluid level, l2501, is about 1/2 way up the site window( had been higher before) so I don't think it is low hydraulic fluid. Any ideas appreciated.
Thank you
[/QUOTE}

Consider yourself lucky that the hoe takes "a week or two" to drop.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
However, now the backhoe bucket will completely drop to the ground in a week or two
I may be missing something, but the stabilizers and hoe bucket will drift down over weeks, but how does it hit the ground with the boom lock engaged?

edit: I’ve never parked mine without the boom locked, but suspect it would leak down as described…

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I find the cooler the outdoor temps - the quicker the drop.

I bungee my downriggers together until needed and always pin my boom.

My hoe bucket always rolls down as time elapses. Every time I fire up my BX - I reach around and hit the right stick inward and hit both downriggers up tight.

Ted1

Sep 14, 2017
Pa
I may be missing something, but the stabilizers and hoe bucket will drift down over weeks, but how does it hit the ground with the boom lock engaged?

edit: I’ve never parked mine without the boom locked, but suspect it would leak down as described…
To fit the tractor in the barn with other items in there, I have to swing the boom and bucket off to the side so I can close the barn door. I should probably just lower the backhoe bucket to the ground when parking it. I keep the support arms attached to it but have to remove the pin in the center that prevents side movement of the arm so I can get it in the barn. I guess my question/confusion is that I had no real problem with this for five years, got service, and now it behaves differently. Not a big deal. Just more of a curiosity and concern with the change. Thanks

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

When parked, I always lower the bucket/boom to the ground, and just let it sit there relaxed.

Reactions: 1 user

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
Brand new ones probably don't settle much over a few days but nothing I get to use is nice and new.

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
There is a good safety reason to release the hydraulics... all it takes someone to accidentally bump the control and it will drop the thing on whatever is below. These tractors are kid magnets but it could be anyone. On the ground or solid support or pinned up!

Reactions: 1 user