Backhoe Hydraulics - Other Uses?

mculik5

Equipment
B2650 TLB
Sep 22, 2020
NJ
I have a B2650 with a BH77 and a third function up front. I don't know much about hydraulics, but based on following lines on my tractor, it seems hydraulic pressure comes from the power beyond port on the loader valve to the solenoid valve for third function, and from the power beyond port on the third function valve back to the rear of the tractor.

If the BH is connected, it flows through those valves and ultimately back to tank, and if the BH is disconnected it flows directly back to tank.

First, does this sound right?

Second, if I were to hook the BH pressure line into a valve (or more than one valve) and ultimately return to tank, I could run other stuff, right? It would essentially be the same thing as having temporarily plumbed rear remotes? Basically, disconnect BH/connect rear remotes, whereas true rear remotes would be plumbed permanently, in addition to the backhoe?

I'm thinking about getting a Samurai cutter (https://www.cutthat.com/product/sabre-samurai-cutter-2/) and am thinking that if I get a valve to plug the BH line into, and then a line from that valve to the front of the tractor, that could power the cutter, right?

Thanks!

Tropical Jack

Equipment
Kubota L3301 w/ FEL & BH, tilt and trim, chipper, box blade, grading blade
I have a B2650 with a BH77 and a third function up front. I don't know much about hydraulics, but based on following lines on my tractor, it seems hydraulic pressure comes from the power beyond port on the loader valve to the solenoid valve for third function, and from the power beyond port on the third function valve back to the rear of the tractor.

If the BH is connected, it flows through those valves and ultimately back to tank, and if the BH is disconnected it flows directly back to tank.

First, does this sound right?

Second, if I were to hook the BH pressure line into a valve (or more than one valve) and ultimately return to tank, I could run other stuff, right? It would essentially be the same thing as having temporarily plumbed rear remotes? Basically, disconnect BH/connect rear remotes, whereas true rear remotes would be plumbed permanently, in addition to the backhoe?

I'm thinking about getting a Samurai cutter (https://www.cutthat.com/product/sabre-samurai-cutter-2/) and am thinking that if I get a valve to plug the BH line into, and then a line from that valve to the front of the tractor, that could power the cutter, right?

Thanks!
I have an L3301 with BH77. So not identical; but possibly similar. I added a 3rd function valve into the circuit in a manner similar to what you describe. Then I added a 3 spool valve that I mounted to the ROPS and can operate from the driving position. This 3 spool valve was added by using the original backhoe connections at the rear of my tractor. So the only time I can use my rear remotes is when the backhoe is removed. I use 2 of the remotes for “tilt and trim” on my 3 point hitch. I ran an additional “valve to tank” line from my 3 spool valve.

I can take pictures of this setup a little later if you think it would be helpful.

Jack

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I have a Samurai cutter running on a M7040.

Buy the Samurai breakaway mounting hardware............ it is a must . I started without the breakaway feature as it was not yet available. Drove me nuts. To the companies credit, they swapped my original mount for the breakaway one for a modest fee.

I ran the hydraulic lines from the rear remotes to the cutter on the bucket.

.I quickly learned that the M7040 had too much hydraulic flow for the Samurai and its operating speed was far too fast even at slow engine speeds..

I Tee'd a pressure compensated flow control between the two lines to the Samurai motor.

Cutter.jpg

Flow control.jpg

I used a commercial strobe light to adjust the speed of the Samurai using the adjustment on the pressure compensated flow control. It is not necessary but I had the tool and ..........

Strobe.jpg

If you are mounting to the side of your bucket you need reinforcement or your bucket will bend. I made pieces of 1/4" plate to go on either side of the bucket as I clamped the mount on. Sorry no pictures of this.

Unless you have three hands you need a way to keep the hydraulic flow to the Samurai on. Some secure their rear remote valve with a banjo strap. In my case one of my remote valves had a pressure detent. The valve would stay on until the pressure maxed out and then it would trip. Think of this tripping as happens when a cylinder reaches the end of its stroke.

Because I was dropping the operating pressure with the pressure compensated flow control, the tripping feature was not activated and the valve would stay on.

Before I offer more comments concerning your hydraulics , please describe in detail the hydraulic backhoe connections at the rear.

Does the backhoe valve have three hoses that must be connected?

When the backhoe is off, do you connect two rear connections together with a hose loop?

Dave

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I really have no 'practical need' for it, but now that I've seen a Samurai cutter, I most definitely 'need' one ;) I'm sure I could come up with some uses for it.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm..flow control valve looks like a Princess Auto unit.....
sigh, I used to make strobe lights, dang I feel real old now.,thanks

mculik5

Equipment
B2650 TLB
Sep 22, 2020
NJ
@Tropical Jack , @Dave_eng - Thanks for the info!

My BH is two lines only. I spoke with the a tech at the dealer this morning and he confirmed my understanding which is:

- Loader valve PB feeds BH pressure line
- BH valves are all PB in a row, so PB from the loader valve into P port of first BH valve, PB output of first BH valve into P port of second, etc.
- PB output of last BH valve goes to 3PT lift
- When there's no load, the PB ports are not under pressure and essentially the same as T ports
- Pressure relief is controlled at the loader valve and uses its T port to return to tank when anything in the circuit goes over pressure

When the BH is disconnected, the BH pressure line is connected to the 3PT. To the extent it's relevant, I also have a third function up front that is in the PB loop before the BH connection.

My plan is to install a motor spool valve (and maybe some other valves, while I'm at it) at the back of the tractor, and when the BH is disconnected, connect the BH pressure line into the valves and run them all with PB sleeves in series, with the last valve PB port going to the 3PT. Then, the Samurai motor would be plugged into the A/B ports of the motor spool valve.

Thoughts on this plan?

Also, @Dave_eng - How as the Samurai held up for you? I've heard mixed reviews, but it's so perfect for what I could use it for I'm going to give it a shot. Will definitely get the breakaway hardware and have read about reinforcing the bucket.

Thanks!

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
@Tropical Jack , @Dave_eng - Thanks for the info!

My BH is two lines only. I spoke with the a tech at the dealer this morning and he confirmed my understanding which is:

- Loader valve PB feeds BH pressure line
- BH valves are all PB in a row, so PB from the loader valve into P port of first BH valve, PB output of first BH valve into P port of second, etc.
- PB output of last BH valve goes to 3PT lift
- When there's no load, the PB ports are not under pressure and essentially the same as T ports
- Pressure relief is controlled at the loader valve and uses its T port to return to tank when anything in the circuit goes over pressure

When the BH is disconnected, the BH pressure line is connected to the 3PT. To the extent it's relevant, I also have a third function up front that is in the PB loop before the BH connection.

My plan is to install a motor spool valve (and maybe some other valves, while I'm at it) at the back of the tractor, and when the BH is disconnected, connect the BH pressure line into the valves and run them all with PB sleeves in series, with the last valve PB port going to the 3PT. Then, the Samurai motor would be plugged into the A/B ports of the motor spool valve.

Thoughts on this plan?

Also, @Dave_eng - How as the Samurai held up for you? I've heard mixed reviews, but it's so perfect for what I could use it for I'm going to give it a shot. Will definitely get the breakaway hardware and have read about reinforcing the bucket.

Thanks!
You do not need a motor spool valve with the Samurai. It has little rotating inertia to deal with.

I would get a block of two or three valves like a loader valve and get the PB option for the valve so you only have one PB port to deal with. It will greatly simplify the plumbing.

My M7040 has a relief in the loader valve and another relief valve for the remotes and 3 pt hitch. If you buy a block of valves as I have suggested get one with a relief. It wont hurt and may help. You can set it lower than the loader relief.

I have not used the Samurai a lot to give you a durability review. I split my farm home off from my farm lands and sold the land. The consequences of old age and illness.

I found it did not like old hard dried up branches. Was a bit optimistic in the advertised sizes it could cut.

Dave

Buy some spare knives and bolts.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
I really have no 'practical need' for it, but now that I've seen a Samurai cutter, I most definitely 'need' one ;) I'm sure I could come up with some uses for it.
I DO have "practical need" for it - and didn't know about it until now.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I DO have "practical need" for it - and didn't know about it until now.
Same here. That would sure be a lot easier than man handling the Stihl Pole Saw for a couple weeks of trimming trees and windbreaks around the place!!

Now just need to convinced the wife that it will make short work of cleaning up all her Hollyhocks around the place!! :ROFLMAO: