Back to HST problum

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Driving on a flat surface might work fine. In any experiment I usually prefer to reduce the number of variables if possible. In this case a range of speeds and start/stop/changes of direction may be needed to capture all that's going on - observations, sounds, vibrations, etc. - all easier to verify and be sure of without trying to drive too.

Last edited:

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
Just wondering, how is that different from just running the tractor on a flat surface and seeing what happens?

No real opinion here. Just seems like what I would do if it were my tractor... :)
I will try this / there is definite where in there just hoping to slowdown more/ Little to no change in how the tractor responds to same grade after cleaning out every thing & adding Kubota supper udt

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Hi Ferguson - I'm kinda late to the discussion - maybe you have already done this:

Start by setting the engine speed up around 2000 rpm. Go along on the level and start up a grade. Instead of pressing the HST pedal down more, hold the pedal steady - or even try backing off the pedal a little. Lifting the pedal a bit causes the HST is to go into a lower ratio, the tractor will go a bit slower - but engine rpm should stay up and climb the hill without bogging down. Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Start by setting the engine speed up around 2000 rpm. Go along on the level and start up a grade. Instead of pressing the HST pedal down more, hold the pedal steady - or even try backing off the pedal a little. The HST is supposed to automatically go into a lower ratio, the tractor may go a bit slower - but engine rpm should stay up and climb the hill without bogging down. Let us know how it goes.
Sorry to keep questioning, but I thought that the HST ratio was set by the swashplate position, and nothing changed automatically. I know I have stalled my HST tractor out when taking an aggressive bite into a pile of crushed stone. Indicates to me that no automatic adjustment is made, but I may be missing something.

Also have lugged the engine down on a slope, but decreasing the forward pedal position corrected the issue, due to my manual adjusting of the swashplate with my directional pedal.

Reactions: 1 user

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
Hi Ferguson - I'm kinda late to the discussion - maybe you have already done this:

Start by setting the engine speed up around 2000 rpm. Go along on the level and start up a grade. Instead of pressing the HST pedal down more, hold the pedal steady - or even try backing off the pedal a little. The HST is supposed to automatically go into a lower ratio, the tractor may go a bit slower - but engine rpm should stay up and climb the hill without bogging down. Let us know how it goes.
will try

GBJeffOH

Equipment
L4060, EA Grapple, 6' LP Brush Hog, 8' snow plow, 6' LP tiller, EA Forks, Spraye
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio
Sorry to keep questioning, but I thought that the HST ratio was set by the swashplate position, and nothing changed automatically. I know I have stalled my HST tractor out when taking an aggressive bite into a pile of crushed stone. Indicates to me that no automatic adjustment is made, but I may be missing something.

Also have lugged the engine down on a slope, but decreasing the forward pedal position corrected the issue, due to my manual adjusting of the swashplate with my directional pedal.
My L4060 as a computer that switches it to low range when the RPM gets to low. It also has stall guard. You can turn these on and off.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I've stayed away 'til now, but I'd say if that material on post #96 came from the internal filter, it's time for a repair or replace of the HST. I can't say if the fluid caused the problem, but it looks to me like the damage is done.

Reactions: 1 users

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
I've stayed away 'til now, but I'd say if that material on post #96 came from the internal filter, it's time for a repair or replace of the HST. I can't say if the fluid caused the problem, but it looks to me like the damage is done.
Repair quote 10k to 15k not worth doing / going to run it till it dies ( hole sale worth the same moving or not moving) unless i can find a used HST

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 6, 2015
western ma

Henro: - this model doesn't step down like the newer ones can, this one's adjustment of ratio is done by the servo as the pedal changes position.

PoTreeBoy: - agreed the pic shows a lot of debris. Still some question about which filter it was found in. The high-pressure HST filter is pretty good at isolating the HST circuit from do-bads generated elewhere in the transmission. (see WSM)

Last edited:

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
Henro: - this model doesn't step down like the newer ones can, this one's adjustment of ratio is done by the servo as the pedal changes position.

PoTreeBoy: - agreed the pic shows a lot of debris. Still some question about which filter it was found in. The high-pressure HST filter is pretty good at isolating the HST circuit from do-bads generated elewhere in the transmission. (see WSM)
filter right side out bound / in bound clean

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
The filter that protects the HST is part 180 on this diagram (under left floorboard). Has that one been inspected?

L3130 HST filter.jpg

Last edited:

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
Both filters changed sitting on tractor right filter (with magnet) has bron
The filter that protects the HST is part 180 on this diagram (under left floorboard). Has that one been inspected?

View attachment 83754
sitting on tractor right side filter (with magnet) has the bronze in it/ left side clean / IMG 2602 right side 2603 left

Attachments

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
'bronze'.... sounds like gear pump gears to me are being chewed away. If so ,does explain 'lack of power' due to less pressure and volume from the 'pump' ?

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Both filters changed sitting on tractor right filter (with magnet) has bronze in it/ left side clean / IMG 2602 right side 2603 left
To Ferguson: The LEFT side filter (your pic 2603) is the crucial one for the HST - if its clean that is GOOD NEWS.

to GreensvilleJay: The charge pump functions as a keep-fill (400 psi) for the high-pressure circuit, enabling its main pump and motor to produce HST operating pressure (5000+ psi). If charge pump was not performing, drive would become weak - engine wouldn't be loaded. (symptoms would be much different)

and again to Ferguson: have you tried the test in post #123 ? How did it go?
The important thing with HST's is that flooring the pedal in H often ends up bogging the engine or opening a relief valve (slipping).

Last edited:

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
Im back first want to thank all for your input/ My H S T Transmission is BAD / Good news found a used one from ALL STATES AG PARTS / Had bin searching the web / stoped for about a week or so Had my self convinced that i was not going to salvege tractor NEW H S T $11,985.26 / Dealer Quote rebuild a depending on parts & labor &10,000.00 to 14,000.00 / Tusday night 8:30 just for the hell of it punched in search BINGO / $4,206.75 Tax & Freight / Not cheep but doable / 1 yr warranty / Happy realy like this tractor AGEN THANKS ALL