B8200d hydraulic pump replacement

AKGlen

Equipment
B8200d
Jul 2, 2020
Alaska
Hi!
As the title states I’m going to replace the hydraulic pump on my B8200. I’ve got the WSM for the tractor.
I’m trying to make sure that I have everything available prior to the work. The book doesn’t show anything, o ring or gasket between the pump and the mating surface on the engine. Is it just a metal to metal connection? Also I’m wondering if there is a way to prime the pump?
Thanks,

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
You don't state the model of B8200 and sometimes it makes a difference.

I see gaskets

The first is #16 #67810-36420 for $5.29

The second is #3 #15231-87130 for $3.85

Forum B8200 gasket.jpg

If you are going to the work and expense to replace the pump, then consider replacing the suction screen or filter + any seals or O rings on the suction side of the pump.

Messicks parts

Dave

AKGlen

Equipment
B8200d
Jul 2, 2020
Alaska
Thanks for your reply. The data plate on the tractor only shows B8200D. It’s 4WD and is a regular gear drive not the HST.
Your diagram has me wondering if this project is more in-depth then I thought. The WSM shows removing the bolts and separating the pump from the engine. The next step shows removal of the gear pump holder for the 4WD which I wasn’t going to do.
Seems like I’m only looking at half the job?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Thanks for your reply. The data plate on the tractor only shows B8200D. It’s 4WD and is a regular gear drive not the HST.
Your diagram has me wondering if this project is more in-depth then I thought. The WSM shows removing the bolts and separating the pump from the engine. The next step shows removal of the gear pump holder for the 4WD which I wasn’t going to do.
Seems like I’m only looking at half the job?
The parts illustration for the B8200D looks the same as far as the pump is concerned.

forum B8200 pump.jpg

I looked at the WSM I have which is not a great one.

I think it is a bit misleading but I have never changed a B8200 pump.

The WSM shows the pump removed from its drive and then talks about removing the pump holder.

I think the misleading part is that the holder does not have to be removed to change the pump but only in a more extensive tear down of the engine.

I also looked at the B8200HST manual which is a bit clearer and again I do not think the holder needs to be removed which makes the job much simpler.

Why do you think you need a pump?

Dave

AKGlen

Equipment
B8200d
Jul 2, 2020
Alaska
This machine has been rode hard and put away wet more times than not. I’m slowly fixing it up. The front end loader, a BF300 barely picks up 200 lbs. and the three point hitch is no better. Everything works just not as good as it should. I’ve changed the fluid and filter after seeing what could pass as milk when I bought it. The cost for the new pump sucks but it’s a lot better than the cost of a new tractor.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
This machine has been rode hard and put away wet more times than not. I’m slowly fixing it up. The front end loader, a BF300 barely picks up 200 lbs. and the three point hitch is no better. Everything works just not as good as it should. I’ve changed the fluid and filter after seeing what could pass as milk when I bought it. The cost for the new pump sucks but it’s a lot better than the cost of a new tractor.
Now I understand

Dave

Bobbyu

Equipment
B7200HSTD, FEL, WOODS RM59
Feb 20, 2017
Kearney, NE
Hi!
As the title states I’m going to replace the hydraulic pump on my B8200. I’ve got the WSM for the tractor.
I’m trying to make sure that I have everything available prior to the work. The book doesn’t show anything, o ring or gasket between the pump and the mating surface on the engine. Is it just a metal to metal connection? Also I’m wondering if there is a way to prime the pump?
Thanks,
I've replaced the pump on my b7200. I ended up doing it twice in a short amount of time because I went with a cheaper aftermarket pump firs and within about 5 hrs of usage the seal went out and dump oil into the engine. Not sure how much different the b8200 is but on my b7200 it wasn't hard. Change all oil, screens and filter when doing it and use a kubota pump. That diagram shows alot of parts that you won't get into.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
If the fluid was bad then the pick up screen may be clogged and limiting the fluid flow into the pump. I am not even sure that that model has the screen but I believe most Kubotas have a fine mesh screen in the transmission sump at the pickup line entry. That is the only filter my old L185 has. You may want to look into that before buying the new pump.

If you replace the pump there will be o rings at the pipe connection (inlet and outlet). They should be replaced with new ones.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You might be jumping the gun a little...
A lot of people assume that the pump being worn out is the only reason that the system is slow or weak, it's not.
The pressure relief valve can be more of a culprit than the pump.
You really need to get some pressure readings and check the condition of the pressure relief components ( like the spring) before you spend alot of money on a pump that you might or might not need.

On priming the pump: There is no need it prime it if the system suction side is sealed well, I pour a little hydraulic fluid into the top of the pumps on install just to give them a little something so they are not dry on first spin up.

Another FYI: B8200's can have 2 different pumps, and they are NOT interchangeable, one will spin one direction via a gear drive and the other will not as it is direct drive.
So make sure you 100% know what pump setup you have.
Post a picture of the pump on the tractor if your not sure.

AKGlen

Equipment
B8200d
Jul 2, 2020
Alaska
After searching online and not getting a good feeling about what I found I went to the dealership up here. I know that they make mistakes, been there, but hopefully they have the correct pump coming in.
C14E9CFF-DC5D-4630-9688-C8BE08447975.jpeg

pic showed up sideways?

nocash247

Equipment
B7200
Jul 13, 2020
RI
After searching online and not getting a good feeling about what I found I went to the dealership up here. I know that they make mistakes, been there, but hopefully they have the correct pump coming in.
View attachment 45583
pic showed up sideways?
Following. Let us know how your pump change goes and if it fixes your problems as I'm having the same. I'm hopefully pulling my suction screen this weekend and hoping for an improvement. If not I might be ordering a pump as well.

AKGlen

Equipment
B8200d
Jul 2, 2020
Alaska
Update; replaced the pump with only the expected difficulty. Getting the pump off that one stud was fun. Ya right! And getting the new one on was no easier. Make sure to line up the pumps shaft or like me you’ll end up taking it off again. It took a while because (thanks Russell) there are O rings on both the in and out lines. I had to wait for them to get here.
Bottom line is an increase in lifting ability of both the FEL and the 3 point. But I expect more gain by tracking that pressure relief valve mentioned by Wolfman. (please point out it’s location as I cannot find mention in the WSM)

Here’s a picture of a hose that connects the two pipes for the low pressure return line. Think I should replace it?
Thank you all,
Glen
6CF1385E-EEA3-41FA-80CD-9925575F93FC.jpeg

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Yes replace it before filling transmission if you can. It is probably fine but will only cost a few bucks.

Dayswon

Equipment
B8200
Jul 30, 2020
Eidson, TN
Have you tried cleaning out the filter. There is a fine mesh screen filter on the right side of the PTO. that is a unknown culprit for weak hydraulics