B8200

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Well I am finally going to get the tractor in the shop. The clutch is rusted to the pressure plate. I am thinking it has probably been that way for at least a year maybe more. My question is this, if I do the old tie it to a tree and giver trick. What are the chances the clutch is going to come off the pressure plate in 3000 pieces? Would be smarter to split it and try to free it that way. Or if it is that stuck it's going to come apart in pieces anyway, I might as well do the giver thing with the tree. There is a lot more to do to it but I want to start with the clutch. Any info,clues,tips,tricks, would be appreciated.:)

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Dusty I wouldn't shockload the clutch in an attempt to break it loose. I'm not familar with this B-series but isn't there an inspection cover on the right side of the clutch housing? If its rusted to heck in there, I'd WD40 it in place and see if the pressure plate backs off and just let her slip the disc if she breaks loose. Then , I'd do it right and split the case from the engine and replace the worn components and resurface the flywheel because even a new clutch disc will chatter against a rusted fly wheel face. ;)

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Dusty I wouldn't shockload the clutch in an attempt to break it loose. I'm not familar with this B-series but isn't there an inspection cover on the right side of the clutch housing? If its rusted to heck in there, I'd WD40 it in place and see if the pressure plate backs off and just let her slip the disc if she breaks loose. Then , I'd do it right and split the case from the engine and replace the worn components and resurface the flywheel because even a new clutch disc will chatter against a rusted fly wheel face. ;)

Last edited:

small&mighty99

Jun 16, 2009
Braselton Ga. USA
Hello Dusty,
I'm not sure if this will work with your tractor but might be worth a try? The person I bought my tractor from over 11 years ago used to buy up many orange compact tractors fix them to resale,
many of them would have the clutch disc frozzen to the pressure plate just as yours has from setting up for extended period of time, when I bought my kubota the clutch disc was stuck as well, He showed me the procedure he used to free them up, there is an inspection cover on one side of the bellhousing he would spray hot steam from a pressure washer into the hole in the area of where the disc and pressure plate are sandwich together while having someone bump the engine over every couple minutes while working the clutch, while the rear of the tractor up on jack stands, after about 20 minutes of putting steam to the clutch it did in fact free up,
He said sometimes it wouldn't completly free up and he would then have to go to step 2-- pull it a few feet to finish the job in order to free it up, he said this technigue work 9 out of 10 times, I realize this actually doesn't do much as far as resurfacing the pressure plate but I guess it does save from having to split the tractor to get to the clutch, My tractor last quite a long time after doing this, I only had one time where it might had been having clutch problem, but it was do to it getting hot from eccessive useof a bush for several hours, once it cooled the clutch stuck once again I simply turn the engine over and it free back up was back to business s usual,

Last edited:

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Hey Guys , thanks for the replies. It seems the clutch is going to have to wait for a while. Sometimes my brain get's ahead of my pocketbook. I am not going to touch it untill I can afford to buy the parts. In the mean time I have an oil leak in the top end. Cheap fix, plus a couple of hydraulic leaks. So I'll fix these and some other goodies while I wait for the Cash Fairy to come around again.:D