B8200 - Swap Turf to Ag type tires

TX_Phil

Equipment
B8200
May 2, 2022
Houston, Tx
New to the forum and to be honest new to tractors as well so welcome any wisdom you have to offer.

I am in the process of trying to revive my dad’s late 80s B8200 HST 2WD. If has (had) a 5’ shredder, water filled rear turf tires and suitcase weights on the front. I don’t remember exactly but I think the hours are under 300. Dad stopped using the tractor about 10 years ago more or less and it’s been sitting ever since.

The tires have never been changed so they are very old. The rears are 13.6-16 and at least partly water filled. While they still hold air and have a lot of tread left they are weather cracked pretty badly. The fronts are 23x8.50-12 turf, one holds air pretty well and the other goes flat after about 30 min. They are both cracked worse than the rear. The from rims seem to be two piece bolt together type.

I was planning to swap the front turf tires for more traditional 3 or 4 rib tractor tires but I think the front turf rims may be too wide. Does anyone have suggestions for front tires that are more heavy duty than the turf tires?

For the rear I’ve seen some recommend 12.4-16 R4. From what I’ve seen online it looks like an 11” wide rim should be used. I’m not sure of the factory rim width. I found a sticker on the rim saying “13.6-16 B1” and “R B987” but I doubt the rim and the tire are the same width. If I look at new 13.6-16 tire online I believe Ive seen 11” and 12” rims recommended. Will the 12.4-16 R4 fit the factory turf tire rim? Is there any value in trying to swap to a 24” rim and run the 8.3-24 R1 tires? I’ve only checked online but it seems rims and the R1 will cost about the same or more than the 12.4-16.

One of my buddies (not a tractor guy either) suggested replacing the water with tire sealant and just run the existing tires as long as they will last. I expect to actually use the tractor for cutting only 5 or 6 times a year if the current drought ever breaks.

Open to your advice and suggestions so don’t hold back. Shoot, I even looked at retread off-road mud tires but it seems they are a bit too short.

20220422_225132_04.jpg

20220422_224557.jpg

20220422_224545.jpg

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
With the way prices are going I am not sure it this is good advice or not. but I agree with your buddy. I would run the tires until they leak. especially if the mowing can be put off while the tractor is down. I run a much older tractor 1956 and have lt truck snow tires on the front they work ok for most applications in two wheel drive. R1 tires will give more traction at the cost of more lawn damage

TX_Phil

Equipment
B8200
May 2, 2022
Houston, Tx
With the way prices are going I am not sure it this is good advice or not. but I agree with your buddy. I would run the tires until they leak. especially if the mowing can be put off while the tractor is down. I run a much older tractor 1956 and have lt truck snow tires on the front they work ok for most applications in two wheel drive. R1 tires will give more traction at the cost of more lawn damage
Thank you for that. 95% of the time this thing will see grass & brush cutting in deep South Texas and mostly maintaining areas that are already clear of heavy growth. My guess right now is that we would need to cut once every 3 or 4 months at the most, 10 hours or so each time. If this drought doesn't break it will be much less than that.

Reactions: 1 user

TX_Phil

Equipment
B8200
May 2, 2022
Houston, Tx
Bump this back to the top.

Any suggestions?

Any thoughts on putting a 12.4-16 R4 on a rim used for a 13.6-16 turf tire?
For the fronts I was looking at UTV tires but after looking at the tread patterns it seems a turf tire with a bunch of sealant might be the better approach.