B7100hst PTO and proper operation of implements with spinning inertia.

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
Please advise me on PTO implements with flywheels that keep spinning. Specifically a chipper shreader. Engaging is no problem, I disengage the clutch, shift the PTO, and release the clutch. Then I rev the engine to PTO speed and go to work. When I stop, the flywheel is at full speed so I lower the revs, and the PTO sounds like it is clicking. Is this OK? :confused:

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
There is an internal one way over run clutch. At least there is on the B7200.

Check the layout in your work shop manual. or in an illustrated parts diagram.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Please advise me on PTO implements with flywheels that keep spinning. Specifically a chipper shreader. Engaging is no problem, I disengage the clutch, shift the PTO, and release the clutch. Then I rev the engine to PTO speed and go to work. When I stop, the flywheel is at full speed so I lower the revs, and the PTO sounds like it is clicking. Is this OK? :confused:
That is the sound of your overrunning clutch, if you did NOT have that.......you would be pushed along if you did not place the clutch in!!!

Older tractors were hooked straight through - running a rotary cutter? hell it would push you over the edge without that ORC!!!

think about an old bicycle, how you could pedal backwards? Same concept!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That is the sound of your overrunning clutch
100% Positive :D

if you did NOT have that.......you would be pushed along if you did not place the clutch in!!!
50% Negative, :eek:
Even pushing in the clutch would do you no good as the PTO is connected to the drive system after the clutch so the PTO and the drive gears are linked, dropping it in neutral will stop it from pushing you but that is usually is about impossible to do as it bind up the drive shift system

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
NIW thanks for pointing that out! Obvious now, not sure most of us would have thought that before. Now I understand why so many replacement PTO shafts have the over run clutch as part of the package.

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
Ok, so no harm is being done. I really appreciate the help. :)