B7100HST Old Tractor, New Owner

jimz49

Equipment
BX2200
Mar 30, 2010
PA
Hi everyone, my name is Jim. I live in the southwest corner of PA, and I'm the brand new owner of a Kubota B7100HST. I must admit, I know very little about diesel engines, so I'm off on a new adventure. But that's okay, at least for the moment I'm looking forward to it. Now for the first of many questions:

This maybe one of the most asked questions..."how old is my tractor"? The serial number is 76984. Any idea when it was made? Trying to figure out whether it is consider one of the "old" B7100's or falls into the "new" catagory.

Second question is about oil filters. I went to WIX's site, typed in kubota's part number (HH150-32094) and got 51334. However, on this site under articles, it indicates the correct WIX filter is 51064. Are they generally the same, but maybe different lengths or something?

I also checked if wix had filters for the hydrostatic trans and fuel. Interestingly, they say the wix filter # 51361 is suitable for the trans and filter #33389 is good for the fuel. Has anyone had any experience with wix filters for trans and fuel?

Speaking of the hydrostatic transmission, what other brands of hydro oil do you use?

Thanks for any help that you may provide.

jimz49

Equipment
BX2200
Mar 30, 2010
PA
Traildust, thanks for the welcome and the information. What I don't understand about the year of manufacture is why the production years are different for the 4wd? Since my tractor is 4wd does that change when it was made? If not, why? I'm confused.

Will In Tx

Equipment
L3400 HST/FEL, Box Blade, RTV 900 Camo, ZD323 Zreo Turn Pro Mower + More
Mar 21, 2010
Rosharon, TX. USA
Jim
Don't get scamed by sales of Hydro fuild like I did when I needed a HST line replaced and all my hydro. Took almost all of the bucket and was charged $115.00 from my Kubota dealership.
What I am sayn is there is same hydro oil out there for HST around $45.00 a bucket but with out the Kubota name on it, just same stuff.
Note: I am not blasting Kubota at all!!!!!!
Will

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Traildust, thanks for the welcome and the information. What I don't understand about the year of manufacture is why the production years are different for the 4wd? Since my tractor is 4wd does that change when it was made? If not, why? I'm confused.

Hi Jim,
Looking back at that chart I can see how confusion sets in. As long as you got the S/N from the left side of the clutch housing then your number is correct. And with the sequence yours is smack dab in '83. A completely different series of numbers also covers the same years under 4WD HST. Strange, yes, becaue that's the tractor you have. But, it is what it is :confused:

For the hydro fluid I use Coastal Multitrac Tractor Fluid P/N 42909 from Auto Zone. Here is a link for the spec's.

Scott

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Hi Jim,
I may have jumped it by saying you have 4WD on your tractor. I read your post again but I didn't happen to see if you mentioned 2 or 4.

Thank you,
Scott

jimz49

Equipment
BX2200
Mar 30, 2010
PA
My tractor is 4wd. According to the link you sent me for my serial number in 4wd hydro the production date is sometime after 1986. Thanks for the heads up on the hyro oil.

jimz49

Equipment
BX2200
Mar 30, 2010
PA
I have another question. Is the air filter strickly a dealer item or can you find elsewhere?

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
I have another question. Is the air filter strickly a dealer item or can you find elsewhere?

Hi Jim,
Here is a link to Messick's for an air filter.

One more question, just out of curiosity, how many lug nut/bolts hold on your front wheel? 4 or 6?

Take care,
Scott

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Hi Jim, I guess everybody has a different opinion about things but I don't trust very many aftermarket filters. A few extra dollars spent on a Kubota filter is much cheaper than rebuilding the component you are trying to protect. Read the specs on the filters. Sometimes there is a very big difference in the micron numbers of the filters. As far as oil goes there is only one brand on the market as far as I'm concerned. Amsoil synthetic oil. It is expensive but the gain in fuel economy alone makes up the difference. Plus you get all the added protection of the best synthetic oil on the market. One oil change is all it will take to sell you on it. Your tractor will run smoother and quieter than ever before and will also have a noticable drop in temperature. Amsoil has a oil for just about every application and the best grease you can find to. I use my L 3000 almost daily and only have to grease it about once a month if that. Most of the time I do it just to spend some quality time with my Kubota. The benefits far outway the price of their products. If you want a great add on fuel filter look on the net for a "Dahl" fuel filter and water seperator. I've had one on my L 3000 for 10 yrs. and I have only had to change my factory fuel filter 3 times. If memmory serves me correct the factory Kubota filter is either 15 or 20 microns. The Dahl filter is 2 microns. I come out of my tank into the Dahl filter and then into the factory unit. It just does let any trash get thru. Of course I do filter all the fuel before it goes in my tractor. I'm sure that makes a big difference to.