B7100D Manual, 1984, Electrical

JRHill

Equipment
Orange: B7100 Std and Woodmizer; Green/yellow JD Buck, Gator and 410j.
Apr 26, 2016
Wahkiacus, Washington
I'm getting ready to do some rewiring. Mostly everything electrical is out of service except for the Starting circuit. Just this last weekend I eliminated the bayonet connectors to/from the alternator/gen under the exhaust manifold. I was charging as recently as this spring but now not at all. S'OK as I can easily plug in an on board maintainer and that is good for several starts and runs. After eliminating the aged alternator bayonet connectors I still have no 12vdc output.

I finally found a reprint of the original owner and service manuals Hooray! The service manual wiring diagram shows the generator as having 3 leads: 2 go to the head lamp switch and the 3rd to the rectifier (field I am sure). But the alternator on mine has only two leads in the harness. Grrr. So one has to be field and the other battery...? I can figure that out. I have a new OEM start switch on the shelf and just ordered the OEM light switch which is superseded and the available replacement appears to have spade connections instead of solder. Another hurray. So for any of y'all who have stepped through this:

1) The light switch is simple on/off. But it has 5 connections?!? From the service manual, two of the three alternator leads go to the light switch 'S' and 'G' - hmm Another tap would seem to be 12vdc while running (alternator output) and goes to the Start switch 'OB'. Another goes to the Regulator, 'G2' and lastly, duh, one goes to the lights 'L2'. Of course there is nowhere that shows what happens on the light switch from Off to On with the various leads and connections. I can ohm out the replacement switch when it arrives but I am trying to figure out the 3 lead alternator diagram from the two leads I have on my rig. Any help would be appreciated.

2) My 'ol rig has the flasher option which I could care less about. Thinking of eliminating the clicker and just using it as a rear light (low watt LED).

3) For a bizzilion years the oil light does not come on from Off to On during a cold start but does if returned to run after a failed start (too short a preheat), ah, sometimes. Key switch or oil pressure sensor? I'd change out the oil pressure sensor in a heartbeat but is there any idea for a suitable substitute in terms of pipe thread and pressure detection?

I need to pull the battery and fuel tank and maybe their bases to do home made harnesses. I'd be glad to document and take pictures along the way. If anyone can give me any of their experiences, esp regarding the alternator/light switch, it would be appreciated.

JRHill

Equipment
Apr 26, 2016
Wahkiacus, Washington
Oh, lastly, I really appreciate this 'ol rig. I bought it well used in the early '90s and the hour meter was broken then. Lord knows how many hours it had then and I have put many, many hours on it. There was a new hour meter but now that's not working either. Probably electrical this time. It suffers a bit for torque going up hill in 3rd. That's OK, I don't physically have high gear torque anymore either:)

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Where did you find the manuals.
Kubotabooks.com has excellent ones for the B7100.
manuals

Three wire dynamo's were rare and only on older machines than B7100 so you are referring to the wrong documents.

The charging system is really simple so don't go and make it more complicated than it is.
The rotating part is called the DYNAMO and it outputs alternating current i.e. AC not DC.

Forum member Lugbolt has written an excellent diagnostic procedure for these dynamo systems and I will attach it to my post.

Once you have read the correct manuals ask more questions.

Dave

Attachments

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
manuals

Three wire dynamo's were rare and only on older machines than B7100 so you are referring to the wrong documents.
I have a B7100 with a 3 wire dynamo. It is a 1978 if I recall correctly. Have not needed any parts for a long time so I have not referenced the serial number lately.

JRHill

Equipment
Apr 26, 2016
Wahkiacus, Washington
manuals

The charging system is really simple so don't go and make it more complicated than it is.
The rotating part is called the DYNAMO and it outputs alternating current i.e. AC not DC.

Forum member Lugbolt has written an excellent diagnostic procedure for these dynamo systems and I will attach it to my post.

Once you have read the correct manuals ask more questions.

Dave
Thanks Dave. The manuals came from https://www.ebay.com/itm/223002593024 . It was the only source I could fond the non-HST WSM and owner's manuals. But for wiring, the diagrams in section 7 are correct for my rig.

I saw the stuff on Kubotabooks but at the time I was working in the transmission and obviously it didn't apply. Thanks also for Lugbolt's doc on the dynamo. too.

JRHill

Equipment
Apr 26, 2016
Wahkiacus, Washington
It suffers a bit for torque going up hill in 3rd.
Yah know, rereading this made me stop short. It was an Aw Duh moment. I've never checked valve clearances. I have on most everything else. So I'll find a valve cover gasket somewhere. It seeps anyway.

What do you think, after a bizzionion years: will they be tight or loose? Bets?

Or maybe turn my head..... (wink)