B7000 sudden loss of drive in all gears

ABW

Equipment
B7000
Mar 8, 2021
UK
Greetings all from the UK.

I have had a B7000 for nearly a year and it has been great until last weekend. I was pulling a small roller around a small paddock and all went well. On completion, I reversed the roller back to its storage location, got off to unhitch it, which was fine. Then I sat back down and found I could not drive forward or backward (either in 4WD/2WD, High/Low ratio)in any gear. I also noted the PTO stopped working as well. The engine just kept running fine.

I had adjusted the clutch about 4 weeks ago as I suddenly found the pedal had to go much further down to disengage the clutch. I achieved the set 12mm gap on the stop bolt with about 3mm of free play, but noted I had to screw out the adjuster quite a way compared with where it was.

Today, upon further examination, I went underneath to look at the two access holes and the one on the clutch housing. With the engine running, I noted the clutch was rotating in the inspection port and also that the output prop shaft was also rotating OK. On further inspection at the point just before it goes to the gearbox under the front drive prop-shaft, there seems to be a 'coupling' with 2 flanges on it and I note that (with the engine running) rotates as well, yet the splined shaft going to the gearbox is dead still. With the engine off, I managed to feel it and it just rattled and I just noted it was not engaged on the splines on the shaft going to the gearbox.

Is this coupling supposed to rattle and be so loose (or should it have some form of rubber acting as a shock absorber)? I wonder also if there should be a pin holding it in place, as there is a small hole on the splined section of the shaft? has anyone any thoughts and also information if I can still get spare parts for it and do we have a part number/drawing of it? I can probably get a photo of it in situ if it helps.

Many questions from a new member I know, but look forward to any thoughts/help!

Regards

Adrian

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
I think it's a rag joint... maybe lost the roll pins and now it walks itself off the splines?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Clean out the holes in the shafts, re-align the holes in the joint with the holes in the shaft.
Install a roll pin and either a second smaller roll pin inside the larger one (locks it in) or use tie wire through the pin to keep it in place.
I little movement on the joints is acceptable and normal especially with it's age.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Adrian, you can get a lot of help splitting that tractor if it comes to it. Once you have the steps in the process in your mind the work is pretty straightforward and simple. Hopefully you'll not need to do that yet. Good luck.

ABW

Equipment
B7000
Mar 8, 2021
UK
Thanks D2Cat,

I am awaiting a box of roll pins and also a spare 'rag' joint from Belgium and will see if I can replace it from underneath without needing to split the tractor. I can then use new pins and see how it goes. I note with the joint in the correct place ready to receive a 5mm pin, that the clutch needs to be readjusted, so I guess the shaft needs to be firmly in place before any future adjustment is made.

I will see if there are any suitable video's on you tube etc about splitting the 6000/7000 series tractor.

Best regards

Adrian