B6100 to buy or not to buy

stanster

Jan 18, 2010
west unity, ohio
I came across a 1978 B6100 4x4 gear driven, front end loader, small box grader, and a 4' brush hog. Tractor has seen its share of use after all it is 32 years old. It has an hour meter that is broke at 1700. It seems like it starts a little harder than it should but not sure if the glow plugs are working. Black smoke when it starts but clears up and if you stab the throttle you get a puff of black smoke. Loader seems to run up and down smoothly with its dual stick control:) It needs to rear tires but fronts are brand new. He is asking $3000(is that reasonable), part of me says stay away its to old but more of me says buy it! Anything else I should look for or would you guys stay clear of a unit this old. Thanks for any input.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
JUMP ON IT!!! 3 grand isnt bad at all for a B6100 with a FEL. Like you said its got some age on it. I have a B6100E myself and mine does the same thing blows a puff of black smoke when she first fires up.

stanster

Jan 18, 2010
west unity, ohio
I wasn't sure on the price, I really want a hydro but funds are limited and Ive been lookin for a year and need a loader to some landscaping and such.

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Like Eric said, that baby is worth some$$$$

If you can meet the guy with a fist full of $$ (CA$H) slightly under and see if he goes for it. It's the wheel and deal game :D

stanster

Jan 18, 2010
west unity, ohio
Probably gonna..just seemed a little high but after reading what just the loader cost I guess I can get most my $ back just selling the implements and the loader. Im sure I can get used to the trans but my dad has a 1750hst with a loader and Im spoiled now;]

stanster

Jan 18, 2010
west unity, ohio
I looked at the tractor this A.M. and the hood says it is a 6100 but the serial # stamped in the case says b6001. This isn't something grey market and the pto should run CW correct? It does smoke a little more than Id like to see but I have him down to $2600.

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
I agree with killerbee you can always offer 2500. If you havent ask is the 3000 lowest you will go. If you ask him the lowest yet and he said 3000 he may walk back in the house. Remember the fel and bushog is worth a lot and most older diesels give a puff of black smoke at startup then should quite.handy

stanster

Jan 18, 2010
west unity, ohio
Sounds good I checked the PTO while I was there and it was CW. He said he has all the manuals and the original bill of sale along with a pile of receipts. The smoke was the main concern for me, it starts kind of hard compared to my dads 1750 and smokes more. But unless something happens when we are loading it I will be picking it up tommorrow. Thanks for the input guys!

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Sounds good I checked the PTO while I was there and it was CW. He said he has all the manuals and the original bill of sale along with a pile of receipts. The smoke was the main concern for me, it starts kind of hard compared to my dads 1750 and smokes more. But unless something happens when we are loading it I will be picking it up tommorrow. Thanks for the input guys!
Sounds like you are gonna be a happy Kubota man real soon.

I have a couple questions on the smoke. Is it always black and does it fade away after starting our does it stay consistent with the throttle advance?

stanster

Jan 18, 2010
west unity, ohio
The smoke is black and there is alot when it first starts. It eventually clears up in 15-20 sec. I was reading a few other post on here that said you should cycle the plugs for close to 60sec. and Im sure we didn't wait that long. Once the rig is running it doesn't seem to smoke much unless you stab the throttle.

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
The smoke is black and there is alot when it first starts. It eventually clears up in 15-20 sec. I was reading a few other post on here that said you should cycle the plugs for close to 60sec. and Im sure we didn't wait that long. Once the rig is running it doesn't seem to smoke much unless you stab the throttle.
Well, that doesn't sound too bad at all. In fact, I'd say from your description, you would be hard pressed to not find a tractor puffing smoke under those conditions. A sudden ramp up on the RPM will result in unburnt fuel the engine just can't quite use yet, it's gonna puke it out until the old girl catches up.

Except for Eric McCarthy, his tractor does everything right but charge the battery :D

As you already mentioned, try an extended glow plug cycle and see if that doesn't help a little on the start up. Some folks will even give the plugs another hit while it's running to help it along.

For 3 grand you got one hell of a deal, congratulations!

stanster

Jan 18, 2010
west unity, ohio
Shes home. The longer glowplug cycle helped but it is cold blooded. While using it I did run into another issue, sometimes when I push the clutch in with the unit in gear it will start to growl/vibrate and it is difficult to take it out or switch gears. If I let the clutch back out and push it back in it will stop and I can switch gears. Wanted to let everyone know that I got the operators manual and the illustrated parts list for the 6100 and the KUB219 loader. Anyway here are a few pics.

Attachments

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
YEP I'm jealious! He's got one identical to mine but with a FEL. NEVER AGAIN will I own a tractor without a FEL

stanster

Jan 18, 2010
west unity, ohio
Yeah it even has racing slicks:D I just read Vics article on the clutch release bearing so I will be Lubing that baby up and praying that is all I have to do! The old fella I bought it from said it didn't do that for him and the tractor had set most of the last 2 years with occasional use.

stanster

Jan 18, 2010
west unity, ohio
I pumped some grease into the release bearing nip and it made a difference but its still making noise about half what it was but it appears that the oil seal on the transmission end of the release bearing holder is shot and most of the grease came out there instead of pushing into the bearing. So Im guessing that means Im in for a big job unless theres an easy way out? Sucks cause the clutch works great.